Bimini Twist

Hi Guys,

Im new to this knot and im having some issues. When I tie the knot a small section of the line closest to the knot gets tangled together. Is this just a cosmetic issue or can this effect the strength of the knot.

Is there anyway to stop this?

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Im new to this knot and im having some issues. When I tie the knot a small section of the line closest to the knot gets tangled together. Is this just a cosmetic issue or can this effect the strength of the knot.

Is there anyway to stop this?

Thanks

can u post a pic of your knot so we can see whats actually happening?

Photo is attached.

post-12550-073110600 1336556695_thumb.jpg

I think you will find that if your issue is caused by line twist, then there is no resolution for your problem. You are tying a bimini twist afterall. try a plaited double or an fg knot.

Cheers

I think you will find that if your issue is caused by line twist, then there is no resolution for your problem. You are tying a bimini twist afterall. try a plaited double or an fg knot.

Cheers

Thanks mate.

Does anyone else have this issue with the Bimini twist when using mono.

When you do the half hitches to finish the knot off are you pulling them tight down the line and then dragging them up to the knot...looks to me like the line has been stretched. Try only tightening the hitches when they are in position against the twists.

I use the plait for my doubles in mono. Way less prone to line burn in the knot process and personally think easier to tie.

Braid, I never use doubles. I think they weaken the braid so I just use an FG straight to leader.

Personally If I had that burn in my double I would retie it. It couldn't be anywhere near original breaking strain of the line.

I use the plait for my doubles in mono. Way less prone to line burn in the knot process and personally think easier to tie.

Braid, I never use doubles. I think they weaken the braid so I just use an FG straight to leader.

Personally If I had that burn in my double I would retie it. It couldn't be anywhere near original breaking strain of the line.

Thanks mate.

ill give the plait a go.

Cheers

• 6 months later...

Hi.

Similar over the yrs.

Bimini on Braid. Plait on Nylon. crimps on the heavy nylon.

Only doubles I ever do nowadays are short ones for joins. Braid\Nylon and Braid to Leaders with Kevlar\hollow leads.

Nylon on all surface trolling. and basically Braid for all bottom fishing. Plus Barra in the dams.

We've found that when trolling braid. apart from zero stretch and a lot of hooks pulling.

If you have several lines out. Strike. lines cross while trying to reel in spare ones.. Zip. no fish. Bloody frustrating.

Specially with the price of lure heads nowadays.

I thinbk it looks like you are not pulling your twists together enough when you tie it off.. after the twists I spread the two lines at the top and pull with one finger from the bottom to pull the twists together tight before I tie them off

Hi.

I use right foot for the loop. After twists. (41\44)Then Finger in loop. Slide up till twists tight and close up.

Lead tail back over top twists and release tail slowly feeding it in parallel spirals. Side by side. to bottom.

Separate the two legs. Half hitch on each. tighten.

Then do a 3 or 4 turn Uni below that. drawing it UP to bottom of knot.

I've been doing that knot since b4 u was born.(old fart) Never let me down yet.

Do that on your braid and plait on Nylon. You not have any problems.

Most important thing. On both of them. Is to draw\coil ém tight. With the plait. tighten EVERY tuck. don't leave it for a couple.

then try to. It won't work. EVERY tuck...

If they right. They'll curl up like a banana. Nicely curved. Then you know you got it right..

And don't make loop too long. keep ém short and make up stronger end length of line with the leader to suit.Doubles only suited to game fishing...

(More to go wrong)

I normally use Jerry Brown hollow, or kevlar (toothies) for leaders now. To form the loop end. Nylon behind it, strength\length to suit.

Carry several of different strengths\lengths. then with loop to loop. Quick easy change over to suit. and no cutting\tieing..