2012 'Bidgee Classic

Howdy rowdy raiders,

Thought id whack up a little report/review of the local fishing comp held last weekend. Normally held in march at Gogeldire weir on the murrumbidgee it was postponed this year due to the floods.

post-18526-006772200 1336692897_thumb.jpg

The grassed area to the right of the photo is the camping grounds (or that which didnt go under water) and the weir gates were fully opened = a LOT of water!

So with a couple of thousand dollars up in prizes plus a couple of boats to be raffled the missus and i got sorted and headed out friday afternoon, set up camp and out on the water. With only a few nibbles and beers (probably more beers than nibbles) to pass the arvo things were looking rather dismal. Moving onto another spot within 15mins Marzie's rod bends over and shes on, bringing up a nice cod at 58cms. We take off after the marshall's boat as they decided to turn around and head the oppisite direction and didnt hear me yelling out at them. We pull up and they too were enjoying a few frothies :beersmile: and as i hand the fish over to them it gives a good kick and thrashes on the side of their boat heading back for the river...unfortunately the marshall got a hold of it ("if it goes in thats leagal for sure" was the call he made) and couldnt stretch it to the 60cm mark...close but no cigar for Marzie only a couple of cm short..nothing for the rest of the day as fishing ends at 530pm.

Day 2 up reasonbly early (630am) to a rather fresh though glorious day and on the water bout 8am. we try a couple of spots with nothing landed and by this time id be happy with a carp. im also busting for a wee but every time i get up another boat goes past, when theres finally a break in the traffic i stand ready to release, when my (reasonbly stiff tipped) rod bends like crazy and i lunge for it coz i have about 1m of line left on my spool and try desperately to get some line back. after about 10mins the top of the water swirls and we catch a glimpse of glory! I get marzie on the net and bring it home with my heart in my mouth waiting for something to go wrong...Fish in the boat!! :yahoo:

this photo makes it look much bigger...

post-18526-009899500 1336694655_thumb.jpg

Happy chappy

post-18526-018509700 1336694683_thumb.jpg

post-18526-014921000 1336694721_thumb.jpg

I was on the leader board until another fella landed a 70something but i had already got my prize by landing that fish :biggrin2:. we went out for the final couple of hours of competition on sunday morning but nothing legal caught but all in all a great weekend felt like i had two weeks off work not a weekend lol. So if your looking a for a great family orientated comp look out for the 2013 'Bidgee Classic!!Check out some more photos on the facebook page "Griffith Marine & Caravans Bidgee Classic".

Cheers Kai.

Biggest bag of carp senior male was 30 something, female 38ish... over the whole weekend only 200 odd carp caught the whole weekend. to put it in persepective last year there was 400/500. i think there was about 17 leagal cod and 35 yellas this year which is a great sign.