kingfish sashimi

Benzeenees

I had a friend staying at the coast house and he said he liked sashimi. I have always been a bit cautious about raw fish, but apparently kingfish is one of the top fish used for sashimi and as I had thawed out a side of kingfish I thought I'd give it a go. Went to the local supermarket and picked up some Japanese soy sauce and some wasabi.

Cut the kingfish down the middle lengthways and removed the dark meat. Removed the skin. Sliced one of the thick pieces (not the tail end) into thin slivers across the grain and dipped it in soy and wasabi. Surprisingly good!

Best thing to do is fridge it over night, dont freeze fish to be used as sashimi.

The best bit is the bottom half of the fillet. From the king bones down usually has the highest fat content. The belly flaps are the best bit for sashimi!

A good bit of bluefin belly flap sells for over $100/kg where the normal bluefin sashimi is $60/kg.

Bonito are the most under rated sashimi and one of my favorites!

• 1 month later...

Freezing your fish before sashimi is definately not a good idea. But, surprisingly, straight out of the water fresh is not best either. If you leave the fish for a day or so (refridgerated) the flesh firms up a bit, which is what you are after with sashimi.

GregL is right about the fatty belly meat. A kingfish makes a lot of sashimi though and the other thing you can do with the belly meat is fry a small fillet in a hot pan drizzled with either mirin and soy or balsamic vinegar for a minute or so each side. The mirin / vinegar caramelises to sweet, sticky goodness and is awesome with the fatty belly meat.

Hrgh

• 5 weeks later...

I have always wanted to eat some of my catch as sashimi, but how do you guys look after your catch to make sure it is safe to eat raw? I typically put my fish staight onto an ice slurry though even then i am cautious about eating it raw.

Thanks

Anthony

• 2 weeks later...

I have always wanted to eat some of my catch as sashimi, but how do you guys look after your catch to make sure it is safe to eat raw? I typically put my fish staight onto an ice slurry though even then i am cautious about eating it raw.

Thanks

Anthony

Mate what your doing will be fine, just give the fish a bit of a visual inspection as well.. not that i've ever had a problem with salt water fish down this way (but I don't fish west of the bridge either !!) but a few years ago was doing a long distance trek in the upper Katherine area (NT) and because i was out for over a week and covering a lot of K's i was largely living off the land in one area I had no luck with the barra so had to resort to grunter not good a the best of times (tough and bonie) but this time found dozens of little pink worms under it's skin .. had some very boring backup noodles for dinner that night.

One thing that people don't consider is how clean their cutting board is as well... both on your boat, at the ramp and at home this can be a big hazard.

• 3 months later...

Best thing to do is fridge it over night, dont freeze fish to be used as sashimi.

The best bit is the bottom half of the fillet. From the king bones down usually has the highest fat content. The belly flaps are the best bit for sashimi!

A good bit of bluefin belly flap sells for over $100/kg where the normal bluefin sashimi is $60/kg.

Bonito are the most under rated sashimi and one of my favorites!

Bonito sushimi is just amazing.

• 1 year later...