The Last Hurrah

Hello all,

Well, a significant change in our circumstances sees me and my young family leaving Tuross Head. After a 25 year absence, I am heading back to Victoria ... Viva Mexico! The last two weekends have been terrific, spending time on the water with my nephew Mark, and the wily old bugger; Dene. Mark is a talented young fisherman and a great bloke to spend a day on the water with.We had a couple of great sessions, with the best of my fish going 75cm (released). It wasn't a big fish, but what made it more memorable was the fact that Dene and I were fishing within view of Mark and his son :074:

post-3198-088807100 1336814535_thumb.jpg

Today was my final session and it was fittingly spent with the crusty old bugger who has been my mentor, confidante and trusted mate for many years now. It seems the piscatorial Gods smiled down on our little tinny today. Dene opened the count with a great tailor, quickly followed by a spirited salmon. Twenty minutes later, I was grinning like a shot fox after landed this little bloke (55cm)

post-3198-014225400 1336815206_thumb.jpg

We spent the next couple of hours suffering through bustoffs, dropped fish and an inundation of undersized flatties. Our luck changed when we snuck up a little creek, with 4 fish making their way into the esky for our families. (56-59cm)

post-3198-055392400 1336815398_thumb.jpg

With a wistful last look around the waterways that has provided me with many memorable fish and fishing sessions, it was time to head home. Even the locals were waving 'seeyalater'

post-3198-056484500 1336815539_thumb.jpg

The most productive methods for the last couple of weeks have been to target the fish in the deeper water, especially the drop-offs near the rocky banks. Although color didn't seem to be too important, curly-tailed plastics in 100-120mm seemed the most reliable. Now it's time to pack boxes, load up the tinny, and return to the style of fishing that I learned the basics on many years ago. I hope to regale you with stories of wily trout, voracious redfin and tackle-testing cod in the months to come. Take care Raiders, and good luck!

Cheers

Hodgey

Mate all the best with the move....enjoy the Taco's down south....crackin last couple of sessions....maybe once you are settled and if Josh and i plan a road trip we can temp you into cruising cross state for a Coota trip to smack some of those honker black and yellowfin breambo's....

I'm going to miss the adventures you have with Dene on the Tuross mate.

However, I'm really looking forward to your reports from Vic soon.

All the best to you & the family on the move Skip.

Cheers,

Grant.

:biggrin2: Nice last Tuross report mate, hope the move back to Mexico runs smoothly for you and the family, will be seeing some nice Murray Cod reports I hope.

Good luck buddy.. :thumbup:

Hope the move brings lots of good health and good times for you and your family! I'll miss the posts of you and Dene showing off a fewe 80+ flatties from the Tuross. You have certainly cracked the code over time and good to see the gods brought you a jew and a cracking flatty on the last trip. I hope the last of the fillets were delicious and I look forward to reading posts of your new quarry in Vic!All the very best Ian!

Best of luck with the move Hodgey. Will miss your reports from Tuross and the consistency with which you pull big fish from that system. Hope it all works out well for you across the border. Look forward to reading different reports from Victoria in future ...

On behalf of all the big flathead of Tuross, I say it's about time you left the area! :yahoo:

Going to miss your amazing exploits with Dene and the occasional family member Skip. I never tired of your reports and the great photos. Looking forward to seeing your first Mexican report. Good luck with the move.

Cheers

Peter

Will definitely miss your reports from Tuross, Ian - but think of all the new water you can explore NOW, once you've settled in south of the border!!biggrin2.gif Looking forward to THOSE reports, already! thumbup.gif

Take care, all the best for the move - and please pass on my best to Mel and the Littlies ........ safe journey to your new abode

cheerio

Roberta

Will definitely miss your reports from Tuross, Ian - but think of all the new water you can explore NOW, once you've settled in south of the border!!biggrin2.gif Looking forward to THOSE reports, already! thumbup.gif

Take care, all the best for the move - and please pass on my best to Mel and the Littlies ........ safe journey to your new abode

cheerio

Roberta

take care mate, whats 1st on the list of species your going to chase once there? lol.

Thank you very much for your kind sentiments everyone.Removalist due on Monday and packing/cleaning is in full swing. Fingers crossed for a job interview on Wednesday. I will only have limited internet access for the next couple of months but look forward to catching up with you all again soon.

Cheers

Hodgey

Farewell to the lizard whisperer. I have enjoyed reading your many posts Ian and have learnt much from them. You even kindly met me at The Tuross Boatshed on my first trip down there to have a chat and give me some pointers. I really appreciated that. Unfortunately, I never got to take up the offer of a trip out with you as circumstances have not allowed a trip back over the past couple of years. However, I'll be back to Tuross one day and will always remember the advice you gave me and the fact that you were prepared to help out a complete stranger. Victoria's gain is our loss.

All the best

Arthur

Sounds like a fitting way to end the Tuross lifestyle... just reminding you what you'll be missing. Although surrounded by Cod, I'm not sure that you'll be too homesick!

Great report and pics, Hodgy :thumbup:

Good luck with the relocation and may any challenges be small ones.

Cheers, Slinky

• 1 month later...

All those years and we never did get to meet face to face for a :beersmile:

Many thanks Hodgey, your input will be sorely missed.

Best of luck to you and your family.

Cheers

Ken

Edited by cajun