4.5 - 5m Fiberglass boats. How much do they weigh?

cheap charlie

Hi All,

Whilst not an easy question to answer given how many variables exists between different makes, lengths, motor sizes etc.

The story so far is that I have been looking at getting a forward steer runabout in the 4.5 - 5m range to venture to insure reefs with.

I have been looking exclusively at Alloy boats only for the fact of the lower tow weight and smaller outboard and lower fuel consumption side of things.

An alloy boat of the late 90's in the 4.8m range with a 50hp 2 stroke's are averaging around the 10k and up mark.

I keep seeing all these ripper fiberglass boats bring sold for 30 - 50% less then their alloy counterparts.

This got me thinking, i wounder how much those boats are likely to weigh and am I better of just buying a glass boat.

My tow vehicle is a v6 Camry.

Your thoughts please...

Thank Burnsy, I always wanted a Polycraft. How ever with the small amount of them for sale on the secondhand market the prices in general seem to be relatively high. My 1 and only consideration for considering glass was purely based on purchased price.

My advice would be look at the polycraft, I keep reading good things about them in that size range, be careful of older fibreglass boats as they could contain wood rot, they will be heavier ( may ride better) depending on weight and dead rise, need more horse power and don't bounce off things anywhere near as well as aluminum and plastic... If u want to see how tough a poly craft is look at how little damage occurred when one fell of a trailer....a fibreglass boat would be a wreck!!!

+1 for the Polycraft! Bounces off the trailer onto the road and all ok! Tough as nails, very nice ride and very easy to work with!

Thank Burnsy, I always wanted a Polycraft. How ever with the small amount of them for sale on the secondhand market the prices in general seem to be relatively high. My 1 and only consideration for considering glass was purely based on purchased price.

You get pickup the 4.55 polycrafts with a 2 stroke 50hp for about $8-10K or about $10-12K with a four stroke 50hp (recommended)... most i have seen for sale are located in Brisbane and Melbourne for some reason.

the 4.95 tinny in my bio weights 1200kg on the weigh bridge ready to go fishing

hull 400kg

engine 120kg

anchor rope chain 20kg

fuel 68l so 55kg

trailer 240kg

2 batteries 60kg

so 900kg there

then you have to add the weight of everything else, spare tyres gps sounder antenas biminis snapper racks bait boards

so a 5m glass boat will weigh 1500kg easily