Oberon Dam - Worth the effort?

Folks,

Have there been any reports from Oberon Dam lately? Ever since the redfin went in, I haven't heard much so assumed that the trout fishing is now stuffed. If it is, it would be a massive shame as this used to be my favourite trout lake and is where I caught my first ever trout on a lure. I don't want to make the effort to get out there and spend all day catching 6 inch redfin, but if the trout are still there, I wouldn't mind a trip for old times sake

If you want to catch Redfin to about 20cm and lots of them go for it! If you want trout, go TCD. Oberon really has suffered from the drought but it's now up past 90% so give it time and it should come back to life. The Redfin really should just be an easy meal for a hungry trout...

Folks,

Have there been any reports from Oberon Dam lately? Ever since the redfin went in, I haven't heard much so assumed that the trout fishing is now stuffed. If it is, it would be a massive shame as this used to be my favourite trout lake and is where I caught my first ever trout on a lure. I don't want to make the effort to get out there and spend all day catching 6 inch redfin, but if the trout are still there, I wouldn't mind a trip for old times sake

If you are going to fish Oberon in the next week and want a fishing partner, I am your man.

I spent half a day at TCD about 3 weeks ago for zero's. I was staying at orange and on the way back droped in to a little section of the fish river back towards Bathurst for 7 browns in the 25 - 30 cm range in a couple of hours.

Cheers mate, but I am afraid it's a domestic weekend for me. I am keen for the missis to get her first trout so a trip to Oberon in the next month might be on the cards. That's if I can drag myself away from Thommo's......

• 1 year later...

Depends on where in Sydney. With good traffic along the M4 and Great western highway it's a 2.5 hour trip from central Sydney. You'd allow 3 hours for traffic etc.

Finding the dam is easy, there are signs to it on the Main Street. There are two main public access points, at the golf course (requires a walk if you don't have a 4wd) and Kelleys Lane. Basically Google maps is your friend...