Blue eye hook size

Afternnon all,

Went out for my first bottom bash of Browns for Blue eye on Saturday.

Snagged the bottom on the 4th drift that saw the line break at rod tip thus ending the session, however prior to this felt as though we had a couple of hook ups ( confirmed with lost bait ) but the hooks did not stick.

Hooks were Owner 8/0 circles. Just wondering if the hook size is appropriate?

What size and type of hooks do you more seasoned Blue Eye guys use?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

With thanks,

Ben

Afternnon all,

Went out for my first bottom bash of Browns for Blue eye on Saturday.

Snagged the bottom on the 4th drift that saw the line break at rod tip thus ending the session, however prior to this felt as though we had a couple of hook ups ( confirmed with lost bait ) but the hooks did not stick.

Hooks were Owner 8/0 circles. Just wondering if the hook size is appropriate?

What size and type of hooks do you more seasoned Blue Eye guys use?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

With thanks,

Ben

I use size 16 circles, most likely your sinker that got hangup use a lighter line break away between your main line and sinker. I alway carry a extra 1000m spool of braid with me just in case never needed it but i'm sure one day i will. my rig general go brick- 200lb leader (that heavy so it's easy to handle at the boat)- swivel- 30lb loop (this is my breakaway)- swivel clip - 20-30m 200lb leader 100lb braid. I generally only run two droppers clipped to the main line with shark clips.

I use size 13/0 when the gemfish are around as the 16/0 seem to be a little too big for smaller gemfish. In saying that, I have caught several of both species on both sizes. I get these hooks at wholesale rates and sell them in packs of 10, 20 depending on preference. PM me if your interested.

I always run 3 hooks with an 80lb breakaway trace of 1.5m.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...