Day of double hook ups

Hi Raiders,

Bassboy and I spent a fantastic day out on the water last Saturday. It was a brisk start as we launched just before dawn and raced down river to fish the last hour of the incoming tide. We could hardly feel our fingers for the first hour of casting SPs, blades and HB along drop-offs near Oatley Bay. The fish must have also been feeling the cold as the first hour and half resulted in a donut. As a consequence we decided to head out to Woolooware Bay to fish the racks for the run out tide. As we raced out to Woolooware Bay Bassboy and I decided to have a competition and see if SP or HB would fish better in the cooler conditions. Bassboy decided to fish SPs whereas I was fishing HBs.

The racks near the mouth of the bay were pretty slow and we only caught a small flattie and a nice 36cm Tailor…….Bassboys new PB Tailor :thumbup: and it didnt damage his Gulp Shrimp. 1 nil to the SP.

post-12960-046644900 1337603890_thumb.jpg

We then moved deep into Woolooware Bay where the shallower water was warmer. Once again the SP struck with a number of small bream being taken by Bassboy whilst my Cultiva Mira Shad remain untouched. I changed to a deeper diver which I bounced across the bottom for a nice 48cm flattie from out of the racks……1 all

post-12960-052573400 1337603908_thumb.jpg

post-12960-034518700 1337603926_thumb.jpg

Bassboy then struck next with another small Bream before he was busted off by a big Bream that ran straight back into the pylons……he probably shouldnt have been using silly string :1prop: . The HB was then the go to lure as we worked the old racks and the channels between them. Over the next two hours I caught another flattie and a number of nice bream, meanwhile Bassboy just couldnt stay hooked as the fish were short striking his Gulp Shrimp :1badmood: . 5 1 to the HB

post-12960-010507800 1337603948_thumb.jpg

post-12960-058852000 1337603964_thumb.jpg

post-12960-087039100 1337603984_thumb.jpg

post-12960-030194300 1337604001_thumb.jpg

Frustrated by the short striking fish on the SP Bassboy rigged up a stinger hook to improve his strike rate. Whilst he was rigging up I hooked up to a larger Bream on the HB. Fortunately I was able to immediately turn away him away from the nearby racks, landing a fat 36cm Bream a new lure PB for me…..6 1 to the HB

post-12960-038321600 1337604043_thumb.jpg

post-12960-042912700 1337604060_thumb.jpg

After releasing the fish Bassboy and I cast in unison at two different racks and before we knew it we were both hooked up…….our first Bream double hookup, with the SP accounting for the larger fish, the stinger hooks paid dividends. 7 2 to the HB

post-12960-085761300 1337604096_thumb.jpg

post-12960-091772300 1337604113_thumb.jpg

We continued to work the racks but the fish went off the bite as the tide started to run-in, however the HB struck one more time with a nice Whiting taking the HB as I bounced it out of the racks. 8 2 to the HB

post-12960-000848700 1337604155_thumb.jpg

We then decided to call it quits and head for home after a great day in Woolooware Bay. As we headed up the Georges River for the boat ramp we spotted birds actively searching for bait near Oatley Bay and as we got closer we could see a small school of fish chopping at bait on the surface. We immediately pulled up to change to our surface lures, but as we finished tying on our lures the Water Police arrived to do a license and safety equipment check. All was ok but the fish had disappeared by the time they had finished checking. We decided to wait to see if the fish would surface again and our patience paid off. Using the Minn Kota we moved over to the busting fish and cast our surface lures amongst the school.….double hook up :yahoo: . Fortunately the fish ran in different directions allowing us to play our fish on opposite sides of the boat and net our fish individually. The fat 55cm Tailor allowed Bassboy to upgrade his Tailor PB a second time.

post-12960-024774200 1337604186_thumb.jpg

post-12960-021570300 1337604207_thumb.jpg

post-12960-018098400 1337604236_thumb.jpg

This second double hook up was an outstanding end to a great day :biggrin2: and the Hard Body lures were the go to lure for the day.

post-12960-091611800 1337603874_thumb.jpg

post-12960-092584600 1337604014_thumb.jpg

Edited by Basscatcher

AWESOME session, boys!! Shame that first one 'did you' Bassboy! Don't forget - you should upgrade the line when fishing racks ....... and have your drag done up to the max ...... or PING!

Terrific looking fish too! Isn't it exciting, fishing the racks??

Roberta

AWESOME session, boys!! Shame that first one 'did you' Bassboy! Don't forget - you should upgrade the line when fishing racks ....... and have your drag done up to the max ...... or PING!

Terrific looking fish too! Isn't it exciting, fishing the racks??

Roberta

Very fun fishing those racks, really tests all your fishing skills.

I really should have upgraded my gear but I think I was enjoying the casting distance of 3lb braid..... oh well, lesson learnt. i know where it lives and i will be back.

Slinky, it was a great day. Nice weather, lots of fish and a new PB. hoping those schools of salmon and tailor are around next time we are out, I could easily spend a day fishing for them.

Great report & well done boys.

Sounds like a great day. Doesn't get much better than that.

P.b's, double hookups, a competition & father & son time. Bloody unreal!! :yahoo:

I'm now going to fish H/bods on a new spot I've found up here. It's a heap of old abandoned leases.

I did o.k on the plastics. Now I'm going to harden up!

Cheers,

Grant.

Great report & well done boys.

Sounds like a great day. Doesn't get much better than that.

P.b's, double hookups, a competition & father & son time. Bloody unreal!! :yahoo:

I'm now going to fish H/bods on a new spot I've found up here. It's a heap of old abandoned leases.

I did o.k on the plastics. Now I'm going to harden up!

Cheers,

Grant.

Thanks Grant, it was a great day out on the water with Bassboy....even better that I caught more fish.

If you use HB don't make the same mistake as Bassboy by using the silly string.....could be a very costly session.

cheers Paul

Hey Guys - another great session. The 55cm tailor is a real cracker - on a surface lure too! Congrats on the PBs for both of you. I was starting to think the weather's getting too cold for me and time to keep the gear in storage but you've given me inspiration to hang on a little longer! Pity this weekend looks too windy to get out ...

Hey Guys - another great session. The 55cm tailor is a real cracker - on a surface lure too! Congrats on the PBs for both of you. I was starting to think the weather's getting too cold for me and time to keep the gear in storage but you've given me inspiration to hang on a little longer! Pity this weekend looks too windy to get out ...

Thanks pmak, I love this time of year as there are less boats & PWCs on the water and there is still good fishing to be had if you find warmer water.

This weekend will be a maintenance weekend I reckon.....plus watching footy and fishing shows :biggrin2: .

You are doing really well , I would suggest you have a go at comps. Yes it may seem a bit full on but from my experience it's more then probable that you will learn a lot faster then just from normal fishing and it is very satisfying.

You are doing really well , I would suggest you have a go at comps. Yes it may seem a bit full on but from my experience it's more then probable that you will learn a lot faster then just from normal fishing and it is very satisfying.

Thanks Dan :thumbup: we have just started fishing the Bass comps and have already learnt so much out of 2 comps. Havent really thought of the bream though, i wouldnt mind having a go though.... might have to put a few more hours into bream fishing.