cox's, fish, duckmalloi, campbells river etc maps?

shred

hey guys starting to get into the trout a bit more and figured I'd do some exploring through the closed season for places i can hit when it fires up again.

just wondering if anybody could put me onto a good site/place to get maps of these areas, or if anybody had a few spots they would be willing to share as my knowledge of the area is fairly limited, any help is appreciated. :)

cheers, Shane

thanks for that informative info Geoff, appreciate it.

it looks like a great place to go explore, I've only been up there a few times but it is beautiful

Edited by shred

I also love the area but never know where to go any help or maps or were to get them would be great and were you are allowed to access would be great. Went up to the kowmung last weekend but did know good was running high and dirty would liked to have tried hollanders or campbells but was not sure best places to go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

regards

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi guys

Am new to this forum. Heading across to Oberon on the weekend. Am familiar with Kellys Lane on the lake. Is there any where else worth wetting a line (mainly lure fishing).

Can anyone help me with some river spots nearby please?

Or maybe even spots on TCD (but I'm not sure my father in law is going to be able to walk too far).

Thanks

Michael

The biggest problem with these rivers is the vast majority of the river course is through private land. I know of several land owners who will not let anyone on their land anymore because of bad experiences with people leaving rubbish behind or gates open or similar. And frankly I can't blame them.

If you happen to know anyone with land on the rivers then you're in luck, otherwise it is very hard.

That said, in that area there are a lot of pine forrests that have river access that are worth a look. You can find them on the maps easy enough and they're public access except when they're logging. If you have a four wheel drive you can get to all the spots, you're a bit limited in a car though.

Hi guys

Am new to this forum. Heading across to Oberon on the weekend. Am familiar with Kellys Lane on the lake. Is there any where else worth wetting a line (mainly lure fishing).

Can anyone help me with some river spots nearby please?

Or maybe even spots on TCD (but I'm not sure my father in law is going to be able to walk too far).

Thanks

Michael

Kelley's lane is fine, the island is under water now so there's not as much bank to fish as before.

Oberon dam has been pretty much ruined now because some idiot allowed Redfin to get into the dam and they've taken over. There are still trout and they're bigger than ever but trying to catch them is much much harder now. But if you go there for a day with soft plastics or a pink Tassie devil you can end up with 50 Redfin easily...

Across the way is the golf course which is ok as well. You can drive down to the water easily enough through the reserve if you have a 4wd, otherwise it's a walk down a fair sized hill through the course to get there.

Edited by abecedarian

There's quite a few access points to the Fish River as you

drive out of Tarana.

Heading out from the pub along Tarana Rd a couple of small bridges cross the river & you can park

on the side of the road & walk either way for plenty of kms'. There used to be a free camping area

on the river off the side of the road a couple of kms past these. Not sure if it's still there though!

The land owners used to be fine with you simply walking along the river bank having a fish.

You can also access the river from down behind the Tarana pub. The pub used

to have a couple of cheap cabins for rent if you want to do an over nighter.

I love that area. Caught my 1st trout there & also used to pan for gold on our trips.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Grant.

Grant,

thats flat rock you are referring to theres a small area up and down streamn to fish the area after that its all private land and you will need land holder permission to accessthe river, public access pointsare as follows Evan Crown reserve. Hampton State forest, flat rock Reserveon Mutton Falls road and the O'connell Bridge upstream of Oberon Dam is mostly private property, technically the river is crown land but you have t ocross private land holdings to access lots of it unlessyou access the river bed directly from a bridge on a public road or forde. To really understand a river's access point purchase a topographic map and refer to that. you can also access the fish behind the quarry at Tarana and solitary Creek at sodwalls station and the viaduct. but pleaseif you access the fish river folks respect landholders and if they ask you to leave please do so if they grant you permission treat the property with due respect a lot of denial of access to this river has come from vandalism of fences and gates and rubbish left around and fires lit where they should not be.

If any one wants info on the Fish Pm me

Thanks Luderick Angler.

You know the area well & it's nice of you to share that info.

As I said it's been many a year since I've fished the area so no

doubt people have pissed off the land holders since then.

Cheers,

Grant.

No worries grant glad to offer info to other raiders I've pm'd Chris.

Disrespect to landowners is a big issue on most freshwater streams in nsw people leaving rubbish lighting fires in brushfire season and leaving stock gates open to name a few.

As I was saying. I know a few land owners that used to be happy with people coming on their land to fish but that only lasted a season before they changed their minds. All because of rubbish and leaving gates open. They're the two main issues.

So now most landholders will chase you off their land. If you want the best chance try and contact the land owner first before you step onto their property and if they let you on then leave the place exactly how you found it.

Legally the river bed is crown land but to use this excuse you have to have your feet in the river bed at all times. With the rivers in that area that means having your feet wet all the time. As soon as you step on dry ground you're trespassing.

Edited by abecedarian

• 2 weeks later...