Botany Bay Breakwall

Shattered! Use to enjoy a stroll out to the breakwall for a fish (Prince of Wales Drive-I think)Was enlightened by a friendly security guard last week that Fishing was NO LONGER PERMITTED off the wall.Even pointed out the little sign there(left hand side at the gates).Anyone else been "enlightened "about the status of fishing there?

Yep. A mate and i wanted to try it out for the first time the other week since we've heard that it was a good fishing location other than the large gaps in the boulders.

We got there early in the morning and as we were getting our gear from the back of the boot, we were greeted by a massive pr!ck of a security guard telling us to leave unless we want a fine...

Edited by slickfisho

Yup, was down there the other day and there were signs all around the place and security patrolling the area.

Was told no more fishing as too many people got injured climbing up and down the bolders.... sydney ports were sick of calling the ambos and worried of getting sued.

Edited by dhype

Is that molineaux point in botany bay?.hope not as that was one of the blackfish spots that royce and friends fish.If thats the case is the whole length of the wall affected.Thanks steve.

Yeah it is, the whole breakwall at molineaux point(prince of wales drive).

Apparently from what security told us, there's a $1000 fine for people who ignore the no fishing sign, although i'd question this as the sign on the gate only says "No fishing" and doesn't indicate anywhere that fines apply.

Such a shame because apparently that spot was up there with the best land based spots in the bay and probably all of sydney, deep water right in front of you and plenty of kings

Thanks mate the same thing happened to me at woolloomooloo in the harbour.I was fishing in front of a block of units with a no fishing sign no mention by order of or fine details.A security guard rocks up and tells me to leave or there will be a fine.i said rack off not enforceable in my opinion so he says he will call the police.anyway the police rocked up and told me to leave so I did.The only way to find out is to challenge the guard and not leave and if the relevant authorities turn up an read you the riot act then leave otherwise it could be a bluff as the sign is not clear.by the way a security guard has no power to fine you or remove you only the police can and you will be given a warning first up.I know that you cannot be fined if the sign is not specific on this.Test the waters before assuming that this is permanently banned.

regards steve

I wish to put my 2 cents on the status of the "No fishing" sign:

If the road is privately owned, I don't think the private person (or any other person) has any power to order No Fishing, or power to fine his fellow citizen. If he wants people to stop fishing on his property, he can say "It is a condition of entry into this private property that you do not fish." I doubt a private person is able to fine his fellow citizen because his fellow citizen did something (admittedly within his property) that he does not like. Australia as we know it would be a chaotic place if such citizen fine is allowed. Imagine you come into my restaurant and on your way out, I fine you $5 for "eating behaviour which I find very offensive." Would you pay that fine? You probably would, but only if you could stick it into my bodily part which has no benefit of sunshine.

If the road is publicly owned, the only public authority which has the power to order no fishing is probably the fishery (me think). If the water is not within protection or sanctuary zone, I doubt the fishery can find power any where to support its order for no fishing.

We must stand up against this tyranny! THIS IS WAR! Sisters and Brothers, armed yourself with quills, ink and papers. We shall tear this injustice with Words and good sense. Civilisation as we know it lies in your hand.

Has anybody tried this, just rock up there without fishing rods etc & sling a camera around your neck & go into the area to see what happens ??

It's still open to the public, people still head to molineaux point just for the scenic lookout so yes if you just show up with a camera then of course nothing would happen.

Putting flame suit on. :biggrin2:

I think this can only be a good thing. No more sinkers flying within 2 metres of your boat.

Thats good for the boat fisho but with commercial fishing perhaps being implemented you wont be catching anything.Your boat will become a picnic only vessel.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest Aussie007

i remember big LED trailer signs up some years ago at the big white round tanks saying stay 100m or further away and they have a boundary u cannot go into its from the point to somewhere around a bouy on the port side i dont see why people should be allowed on the road that goes right behind these big tanks where people fish off the break wall if we cant get any closer to 100m to the tanks it sounds a bit unfair to me as tucked in behind the point can save a days fishing in bad weather and there is plenty of live bait to be caught there

Putting flame suit on. :biggrin2:

I think this can only be a good thing. No more sinkers flying within 2 metres of your boat.

ive had the same experience anchor up there and they dont give a toss