Tcd 6/7

Darryl(marlin_dc) and I went to TCD to try out a new style of fishing, trout fishing. After the 2 hours drive from Sydney we finally arrived at TCD.

We looked around the dam for a while before deciding where we should start our day. We decided to start at the dam wall... and after about an hour or so Darryl managed to get a solid hookup and soon landed his first ever rainbow trout. What a beauty ....

post-690-1120638246_thumb.jpg

post-690-1120638297_thumb.jpg

unfortunately that was our only fish that we landed that day. He weighed a little over 2lbs on the boga

Trout fishing proves to be very tough and a lot of hard work involved with it. I managed to have one hook up but the hook pulled after a few seconds. Darryl lost what could be a good fish when his leader broke off.

All in all it was a good experience to try out something new, it was the first time I've been freshwater fishing in years... and my first time fishing it with lures.

We'll be back... Hopefully with more trout pictures to show you guys.

cheers,

Mario

Edited by bmar560

Nice fish Darryl, well done on popping you cherry.

56867[/snapback]

So THATS what u two were doing in romantic TCD eh :1prop:

Nice fish the Dazza, did it put up a good fight? The lure ur using looks like a R2S one I have....

Whilst u were leggin it in TCD, Swoffa and I were also struggling on the Georges. Got a few decent sized breams,some undersized breams, and this cute little fella:

post-264-1120687597_thumb.jpg

We had our fair share of hook ups and hits but just couldnt land the suckahs

Matt

Bugger.  :05:

I assume you kept it. How'd it taste? What did the flesh look like?

I stocked up on Rapala's last week and I'm keen to get out there and put them to good use, we'll tee up a trip soon.

57030[/snapback]

We wanted to, but it was too early in the day so we released it hoping to catch another one.

Which rapala lures isit swoff ? I might want to get some for myself, where did ya get em' from ?

cheers,

Mario

thanks all for the kind words ,

the lure which i landed my first trout was a yozuri magminow which is one of my fav lures while i was fishing in Singapore. unfortunately it was lost when my leader didn;t want to stay connected to my lure. LOL let's just say the lure flew a whole lot furthur than i wished for. Oh well...... hooked up on another trout on a orange red shadrap. Now that was one gd fish. After the leader broke, the trout proceeded to jump around trying to get rid of the lure. Talk abt toying with my feelings. It was hardwork. probably casted over 600 times. Talk abt bad fish to cast ratio.

To be honest the fight isn;t all that great. didn;t pull much to my disappointment. However i must say the strike was pretty exciting. To be honest i wouldn;t mind fishing TCD again. The harder it is to catch one the more i wanna try for it. It's really different kind of fishing from bream. So swoffa when do we get to have a trip out with u to learn the ropes.

regards

DArryl

Bugger.  :05:

I stocked up on Rapala's last week and I'm keen to get out there and put them to good use, we'll tee up a trip soon.

57030[/snapback]

Your not the only one Swoff, I even went about re-hooking all my old Pegrons and Spoons I used to use at Jindabyne/Eucumbene decades ago!!!!

Incidentally, I ate the one I got the other day from Thommos and it was as good as any Trout I have eaten from elsewhere. Thats 2 now that have been good so I think the rumours of them being "muddy" etc are just that, rumours :biggrin2:

Cheers

Windy

Edited by Matt

• 1 month later...

www.basspro.com has countowns for $5, minnows for $7, DT's for $5, Rattlin Raps for $2, magnums for $9 and tail dancer for $6. This is the best place I could find online, last time I went there (2004) the shops were even cheaper.

One particular shop that I go to in Sydney has this "great deal" with 3 lures for the price of 2 - $48!!!!

Where does the money go?

hi dan,

the BM and hawgs were very lightly weighted. Think we were using a 1/24 or 1/32 jigheads for them.

61415[/snapback]

Ah....thanks...I went down there on the weekend for an hour tossing a hardbody around..didnt get anything but was walking on the sandy areas.

well it took us almost 6 hours for every fish we have landed there. SO dun be disappointed. It takes me 3 hrs to drive tpo TCD so i gotta clock at least a gd 6 hours before i consider the 6 hour traveling time. Let me know if u wanna head there again Am pretty tempted to give it another try since i seem to have terrible luck with bream at the moment.

regards

DArryl

Congrats on the trout mate, the lure stickin out of that girls mouth is the same lure i caught a 2 Oz Salmon on the Troll last weekend.

Swoff, i have a few CD-9s if you wanna grab a couple. Red head white body, and macky coloured ones, let me know Swoff

Ah....thanks...I went down there on the weekend for an hour tossing a hardbody around..didnt get anything but was walking on the sandy areas.

61469[/snapback]

Try the rockwalls IMHO they're more productive ,it takes a bit of balancing act to cast from the rockwalls but after a few runs you'll get used to it :) . The trouts usually hang around the edges where you can and can't see the bottom of the dam.

The Dam Wall is a productive spot but personally I don't think its the best option, especially at the moment when the water is cold. Remember Trout love cold water, means they will move into the shallow water (heats up to much in warmer weather) and feed. The best way I have found so far of targetting TCD Trout has been to run shallow running Minnows over the weed beds and drop-off edges. Of course this also applies to running the minnows along the very edge of the Dam Wall as the Trout love to cruise them.

As the weather warms up the Trout will start to move deeper in the water column and generally only venture into the lake margins early morning and after dark. The warmer months is the time to target the deeper water of the Dam Wall, with deep divers, spoons and SP's etc.

Cheers

Windy

hi matt,

where would u reccomend to fish from the sandy area?? Have walked ard TCD along the sandy area and i didn't see a single trout. probably casted ard 400 + times and didn't see a single follow or anything like that.

regards

DArryl