Tcd 6/7

Well, there are a number of spots that have produced good fish. More often than not I go to right shoreline once on the dam wall (looking at the lake, not sure what directional shore line it is :wacko: ). The shore from the corner of the Dam Wall around to the deep water area known as the Quarry is good. There are few spots along it that require different tactics but all produce fish. The immediate area adjacent to the Dam Wall has (or did) a distinct weed edge, running shallow minnows over this works wonderfully. But in spots there is also deeper water with identifiable drop-offs, running either shallow or even deeper minnows along these edges produced good fish.

Further around there is on of my favourtie spots, a sand bank with weed patches. I run small bladed lures (like the Rapala/Blue Fox Minnow Spin) along here and it produces good numbers of medium sized Rainbows.

I wont give away too many spots as a lot of the fun is in the finding. Remember to adjust your lures to the structure fished. Its sometime difficult as a shore based angler to accurately identify what depth the water is in front of you but experimentation with diving lures is the key to find what lure runs just above the bottom/weed :thumbup:

Hope this helps a little bit.

Cheers

Windy

Thanks alot matt,

i really shld make another trip down soon. While fishing along the shore, i realised that the water near the shore was pretty shallow and even when i was running a shallow runner like a shad rap i was hit the bottom. Is that the way to go ?>??? The shallow water seemed to be devoid of life. To be honest i havn't actually see a single bait fish though out the lake. So this has really gotten me wonderong how effective a diver would work. I am guessing if a trout hits a runner its more out of aggression rather than as a food source. I would probably be wrong since i know almost nuts abt trout fishing but it would be great to get some input from someone who fishes for them more often than me. Its the only way i'll probably learn faster. HAhaha any chance u making a trip soon. Would be go to learn from someone

regards

DArryl

TCD has actually got a fairly good population of Gudgeons so the Trout would feed on these and anything resembling them. They are also cannabilistic so small fry enter the food chain for the Dams larger fish.

I would say the Shad Rap is too deep for the area's I mentioned. Probably better off going for shallowe runners like the Berkley Frenzy (my favourite), Rapala Long Cast etc. Owner Cultiva's and Ecogear SX-40's are good but need a bit of 'high-sticking' to get them working just above the weed beds.

When am I next making a trip? Well with the cold weather and snow it could well be this weekend :1naughty:

Cheers

Windy

Guest bluecod

Windy,

I picked this snippet up from another site;

the ‘two hours after dark’ curfew at Thompsons Creek Dam.

It looks like you've gotta be off the premises within two hours of sunset - can you elaborate on this???

Sure can, because TCD is owned by Delta Electricity (its an emergency water storage for the cooling of Mt Piper Power Station) they have imposed a curfew on the lake. It effectively opens at 7am and closes 2 hours after dark. Security guards make 2 trips a day out there to check over things and Fisheries apparently make regular visits.

It doesnt really impose much on the fishing. When spinning i dont tend to fish much after dark anyway and the drive back to Sydney is a killer enough without making it more tiring by late night sessions. The 7am start is early enough, means leaving Sydney at 5am or earlier, any earlier and I miss out on my much needed beauty sleep :biggrin2:

Cheers

Windy

wish i could join u this wkend unfortunately birthday commitments dun allow me to get out so far. Anyway what time do u normally fish time at the TCD?? The last few trips over we started at ard 8 and ended the session at around 330-4pm. the 3 hr drive back to sydney means i normally get back sometime ard 7pm. A very tiring session actually

regards

DArryl

Depends on work commitments and if I am alone or not. When by myself I normally dont leave until 9am (its a 2 hour drive for me), early start only makes me a llittle more exhausted for the drive home. I normally leave right on dusk, about 5pm at the moment.

But if I have company I will leave around 5am.

Cheers

Windy

Guest bluecod
Sure can, because TCD is owned by Delta Electricity

61831[/snapback]

Thanks for that :thumbup: Are canoes/yaks permitted on the dam or is it a no boat situation?

Edited by bluecod

Unfortunately TCD is no Boat, Canoe, Float Tube or anything! Not sure of the exact reasoning behind this. Would love to run a sounder of the Dam, but I guess we need to play by Delta's rules if want continued access to this wonderful lake.

Cheers

Windy

Guest Jocool
Would love to run a sounder of the Dam,

61853[/snapback]

Hey Matt....what about getting an electric RC boat to tow out a transducer??? :1prop: That should give you an idea of the structure at least.

Hey Matt....what about getting an electric RC boat to tow out a transducer??? :1prop: That should give you an idea of the structure at least.

61855[/snapback]

I like it Jo :thumbup: I think Byron has one of those shore based units, reckon we could get it show us what there :1clap:

Cheers

Windy