Garie beach.

sean221

Planning to hit garie beach some time this week in the morning. Weather doesnt look too good with mild winds a mild swell heading SE. Havnt been there for a fish since the little one was born and the big boss said i can god for a early sesh. With the weather, do you guys think its not worth hitting itup?

Any raiders out there mind to shout out any tips on rigs, spot on beach to fish , bait to use, etc..... Will be much aplpreciated.

Im going there with 2 beach outfits fixed winth 15 pound mono, 30 lb leader to a patternoster rig on one and a running ball sinker on the other. And also brining a very light outfit of 4-6 rater rod with 6 lb braid and 8 lb fc leader . Imma try the sp and blade a go at the beach with the

Iight outfit. Probably a pilchard will be used on the beach rod, and gonna be buying live prawn for light outfit on a running sinker rig. if the local tackle shops have stock on live tube worms ill be buying tht aswell.

What size hooks do you guys prefer, targetting bream whiting, lizzards etc on light, and sambos taylor etc... On beach rods( gang hooks)

Sorry for writing too much. Hehe.

'limit your kill dont kill your limit'

Regards.

Sean221

Hi Sean,

Nothing is going to be mild about the swell this week, best site for checking this sort of info i find is the BOM Marine weather forecaster as I find seabreeze can be really misleading at times. Link

This currently has combined sea/swell up over 2.5m for most of the week which will see the beaches awfully slopy. Personally i'd be enjoying a sleep in and waiting for things to improve a little next week maybe.

Rich

fishing for the next 5 days will b very difficult due to very large swells predicted by bom. you better off fishing off wharfs or under the bridges. Captain cook or tom uglies will b worth a try.

Goodluck if u still gonna go beach fishing. Use very large star sinker on your paternoster rig. I use 2x2/0 octopus hooks on a whole pilchard to catch salmon tailor Jew n other species like bream n flathead.

Mr squidy, thanks allot for your input, loooking at willyweather, i did think to myself that it wouldnt be good weather for a beach fishing session. Atleast now i know ay. Hmmmm

Fisholb, next five day ay? Hmmm im real keen on a beach fishing session haha. I havnt fished those bridges since i was a kid. Thank you for your input, i actually might give them a go, dont wanna miss this opportunity.

Ive fished gary in the worst weathers a few times before and wasnt able to catch anything rather than a cold and seaweeds.

Anyways you guys probably know more than me on this topic, but something inside of me still wants to have a go. Hahaha. I miss the cold weather, sand blowing in your face, and sitting on the sand waiting for your line to wash up on the shore with a massive seaweed attatched to it. Hahahahaha i dno its just me.

Even if im dont catch anything that sort omf weather relaxes me for some reason. But thanks for your input. Ill put up a report on how i shouldve listened to you guys hahaha.

Big star sinkers and size 2/0 octopus hook ganged seems just right.

Cheers. Ill need all the luck i can get.

Mr squidy, thanks allot for your input, loooking at willyweather, i did think to myself that it wouldnt be good weather for a beach fishing session. Atleast now i know ay. Hmmmm

Fisholb, next five day ay? Hmmm im real keen on a beach fishing session haha. I havnt fished those bridges since i was a kid. Thank you for your input, i actually might give them a go, dont wanna miss this opportunity.

Ive fished gary in the worst weathers a few times before and wasnt able to catch anything rather than a cold and seaweeds.

Anyways you guys probably know more than me on this topic, but something inside of me still wants to have a go. Hahaha. I miss the cold weather, sand blowing in your face, and sitting on the sand waiting for your line to wash up on the shore with a massive seaweed attatched to it. Hahahahaha i dno its just me.

Even if im dont catch anything that sort omf weather relaxes me for some reason. But thanks for your input. Ill put up a report on how i shouldve listened to you guys hahaha.

Big star sinkers and size 2/0 octopus hook ganged seems just right.

Cheers. Ill need all the luck i can get.

Nah, the sea is awesome to watch when she's really pounding so I understand that feeling, i just might not bother with wasting line to kelp. Still, you never know with fishing unless you try so goodluck if you give it a go.

As for rigs i usually fish 2no. hooks, a 5/0 circle on top and a similar size live bait hook on the bottom when chasing jew/sambo's off the sand. That said i only fish the beaches occasionally so am no great expert there.

R.

Hey Sean,

Fishing Garie I know almost nothing about, surfing a bit, but fishing nothing. And the weather, that's a whole different story.

But, over the last few months I've had a bit of success targeting lizards on the beach with plastics. With a couple of whiting caught as well after noticing them around.

I'm pretty new at this, so please don't take my word as gospel but I've found the following two situations seem to produce a few fillets;

1, sheltered corners of beaches with a sandy bottom and bits of rock and weed, use a 3-5 plastic on a light jig-head (3-7g) with hook size to match plastic, cast next to the patches of rock and weed;

2, more open stretches of beach, find a deep, sharp drop-off or a patch of rock in the surf, cast over the drop-off or next to the rocks, these locations often have heaps of current running even with low/moderate swell so bigger plastics and bigger jig-heads (7-14g), make sure youre holding bottom before jigging the plastic.

If youre fishing in a sheltered corner with little swell/current and youre getting little taps on big plastics, try casting a 1/16th jig head, size 2 or 4 hook, with a 80mm wriggler or 4 turtleback worm and you might get a whiting. Ive got a few in the last few months, but not consistently like the flatties.

Doubt the weather will be conducive, but if you walk south of Garie theres heaps of the above features.

Carl

Edited by Nibbles

Hi,

Big surf often tends to concentrate fish.

Up where I am on the Central Coast you can find a couple north facing beaches which, even in a big swell, have a quiet southern corner where you will find blackfish and other rock species sheltering. I can vividly remember a bloke nailing blackfish in a pool at the southern end of Pt Plomer in a huge swell which left most of the coast unfishable.

Alternativley, inside the mouths of estuaries will also be a hot spot on the rising tide.

If the wind is OK and the place sheletered with a bit of a deepish hole you can catch a wide range of fish. Prawns are a good all round bait but some weed, mullet strips or whatever (and of course beach worms!)

I don't know your part of the coast so good luck!

KB

Hey Sean,

I used fish Garie for years, mostly the rock legdes on the northern side. We used to get some great catches

like big trevally, salmon, bream, flatties and big ass kings and jewies. Over the years though it became a lot harder to get a feed due to the over fishing. The rock ledge closest to the beach on the northern side is a great spot for salmon and tailor and the washes hold nice bream and blackfish.

As for saftey, like any rock fishing always take caution.Cleets are a must, Never go alone, and always sit back for a good half hour just watching the sets of swell. You can bet that there will always be one larger then the rest.

With the years of experience i had fishing those stones i still had a fall which scared the you know what out of me, so be careful!!

As for the beach never really fished, i was always drawn to the rocks. As for going this week, i think better give it a miss, big swell, strong wind not a good combo for beach/ rock fishing. Once the wind and swell dies down, maybe by the end of the week, id definately be out there, the water will be all stirred up

and the fish will come out to play.

One spot i can recommend, is Wottamolla, the exit before Garie, if you park in the top car park, i think its been some time, there is a track that will take you out to the southern headland. Nice spot, no cleets needed and great in a big southerly. Your protected from the wind and all that white water gets pumped into the bay. Use whole pillies on ganged hooks, and a decent amount of weight and get right out. You can score salmon, tailor, bream and jewies. Always a great spot when the weather is crap.

Anyway hope this helps, and once again be careful and never take chances, it only takes one time and its all over.

Cheers

Daniel

Mr squidy- as i said i will need all the luck i can get hehehe, thanks for your replys. Im no expert at fishing the beach so any advice helps.

Nibles- ive always wanted to give sp a go at the beach. But with the weather conditions of wind blowind SE at 15-20 knots, casting will be a problem. The south of garie beach has allot of whit wash and rocks n weed aboutinwill throw the sp in. Weel see how we go ay, looks like its time to look at some new sp ranges cheers!

Koalaboi- im hoping the wind will die down, and look for those deep holes like you said. Imma also hit up some shelterd areas at wattamolla where the wind wouldmhopefully be abitmslower. Thanks mate!

Dan76- im not keen on fishing that rock, made a promise to the mrs and my little one to never go rock fishing. The northern side of garie isna very popular spot, seems like a very good place to fish. And i was actually thinking about fishing the rocks at wattamolla if the beach was crappie. I had a look at google maps at wattamolla, and i probably will head there after im fed up of untangling the weeds hahaha.

Where exactlymis this southern headland at wattamolla? If you dont mind me asking. Inthink i knokw what your talking about, the sputhern side of the opening of the bay of wattamolla.

Are the waves along that southern head rocks of wattamolla a problem? Should i be worried? You really have been a great help buddy. Thank!

Cheers for the replys guys. Every bit helps!

-sean221

Hey Sean

No mate I've fished at wottamolla in big southerlys and never had a problem with waves. The ledge is a good meter and a half to two meters of the water and it's not directly hit by any swell. You can easily get down closer to the water if you hook a decent fish. It is a very protected spot.

If you zoom in on google maps you will notice a free standing rock just of the point. When the tide allows you can make your way across onto it and fish from there. Otherwise the other ledge is directly behind and slightly to the left, you can't miss it.

Cheers

Daniel

Hey Sean

No mate I've fished at wottamolla in big southerlys and never had a problem with waves. The ledge is a good meter and a half to two meters of the water and it's not directly hit by any swell. You can easily get down closer to the water if you hook a decent fish. It is a very protected spot.

If you zoom in on google maps you will notice a free standing rock just of the point. When the tide allows you can make your way across onto it and fish from there. Otherwise the other ledge is directly behind and slightly to the left, you can't miss it.

Cheers

Daniel

I was looking at that spot on google maps. Youve been a great help, thak you so much. I probably will have a go at this spot, before i fish ill sit back and watch how the water moves anyways just incase. Where do you recomend i cast? I was thinking to my left as far out as i can(facing the ocean) with the heaveier rod with a pilly on patternoster rig. And let that sit while i work the area with the lighter outfit with sp and metal lures or mabe even unweighted blood worm into white wash. Would be burlying with pillies n bread aswell. Hmmmm im getting excited hahaha. The weather looked mighty scary today on the news, hoping this area is covered decently.

Again thanks allot for your help, youve helped me allot. Cheers!

Hey mate,

Wattamolla is definitely the go, you can't cast towards the ocean at that spot, if you can then your in the wrong spot and you should get the f$&k out for your own safety! When your on the spot your facing north/northwest, I used to hit it all the time especially after weather like this. It's a safe spot but in your case give it a miss cause you'll prob sh$t yourself with the sound of the waves roaring and smashing over your right shoulder and inexperience of fishing off the rocks. Nothing like fishing off the beach!! Plus you can't break your promise, your family is more important then some trevally and scumbos.

Hey mate,

Wattamolla is definitely the go, you can't cast towards the ocean at that spot, if you can then your in the wrong spot and you should get the f$&k out for your own safety! When your on the spot your facing north/northwest, I used to hit it all the time especially after weather like this. It's a safe spot but in your case give it a miss cause you'll prob sh$t yourself with the sound of the waves roaring and smashing over your right shoulder and inexperience of fishing off the rocks. Nothing like fishing off the beach!! Plus you can't break your promise, your family is more important then some trevally and scumbos.

I actually went out this morning. Go to garie beach at 630 with the gates still closed me n me mate waited for the ranger to come, lucky for us he got there five minutes later. Garie beach was amazing the beach was just full of white wash and massive waves after another crushing onto the beach. We didnt fish the spot but hung around the beach. We then headed to the spot at wattamolla and when we got there waves were also massive smashing up against the rocks, and it was abit scary, so we didnt fish that spot.

Funny but the bay at wattamolla was producing waves and had allot of white wash so riged the light set up with running sinker to swivel rig with blood worm on it. First cast i was on, screaming to my mate that i had something on, as i reeled itin i thaught it was a decent sized bream, but at second look it turned out to be a dart. First ever dart, and off the wattamola bay. I remember when i was a youngone the lagoon at wattamolla was full of bream and whiting, not its just dead. Its abit sad really.

The rest of the time no fish, didnt really want to fish due to the weather putting me off, but atleast we caught something, and had a good look at where we couldmfish next time we come down.

Thatnks to all the raiders for the help ay! Thx allot!

Sean221