Freshwater spinning set-up

Later this year, I will be leaving my beloved Sydney for the chillier waters of Melbourne. Given the apparent abundance of accessible trout streams down that way, I figure that I should give freshwater a go. After a little research, I have in mind what I think would be a good spinning outfit, but was hoping to get some feedback here before purchasing any additional items. I should point out, I've only ever fished salt water before.

Here's what I have in mind for both stream and lake fishing:

6"6' carbon rod, rated up to 6kg

1000 size spinning reel loaded with 6lb braid

4 or 5lb leader

Does this seem reasonable? If so, it will likely double up as a bream / whiting / squid combo.

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Any other tips on freshwater fishing, or fishing in Victoria, also appreciated.

Hrgh

Edited by hrgh

If your fishing the fresh water just for trout a rod to 6kgs will be far to heavy to flick round light lures/bait your best bet is a 2-4kg (4-8lb) stick, also If you get a reel with two spools i would fill the other with 4lb mono as it might give you just a bit more stretch when fishing micro HB's. other than that your combo seems pretty good.

You will once you crack the fresh water enjoyable and maybe even more addictive than the salt. So good luck with the move and would love to see some reports of trout (just be weary of their closed season)

cheers bassboy

I agree, a 6kg stick is way too heavy for trout. You need to be able to cast very light weights, at times only a couple of grams. You won't be able to do this with a rod that heavy.

I like my 1-3kg rod, more than enough power for trout and I can cast unweighted plastics in a breeze no trouble.

Reckon a 1-3kg is perfect for stream trout. I think even a 2-4kg is too heavy. My recent freshwater learning experiences (I'm also a salty fella) is that you want a rod that can also cast really really tiny lures as well as just small lures. Like a gram, or less, jigheads. I love my 7'6" rod as the river I fish most often generally has a lot of room to cast, but would occasionally love to also have a really short rod (5'6") for really tight streams with lots of bankside vegetation. a seven footer or six six would be a decent compromise. Love 3 pound Crystal and four pound flouro leader for stream trout spinning. Just make sure the rod isn't too fast a taper or you'll risk lots of pulled hooks. And a big thumbs up to the shallow spool spinning reels with the finesse drags _ they are excellent for ultralight lines: no start up inertia.

Thanks for the feedback, this is good info.

As I'll be looking at a travel rod (necessary for my scooter, and handy for hiking), I'm a bit limited in rod weight. I think I've landed on a Shakespeare Agility 5pce, 2-4kg 6'6"; maybe a bit heavier than ideal but as close as I can find.

Now to trawl through the archives for tactics, and following the move should have some reports to share!

Hrgh

• 4 weeks later...

Hrgh,

I was recently researching some ideas for freshwater spots near Sydney, when I came across Thompson's Creek dam. Now, for mine, it's still way too cold to go day trekking up that way, but I'm going to give it a go in spring / early summer, and hopefully land some trout.

As luck would have it, a friend of mine just returned from a holiday in Ireland and brought me back a gift of 5 hand tied dry flies from Galway. My only problem was how to cast these li'l buggers on light spin gear, as I don't own a fly outfit. I thought hard about a good terminal rig, involving a casting bubble for weight and buoyancy, as well as about two meters of fluorocarbon leader.

Well someone was looking over my shoulder because in no time a Google search led me to a ready made outfit comprising of exactly what I had in mind, as well as two flies thrown in to the package. This outfit was put together by a fly fisho in the states. If you need to know more, just Google "Universal Fly Casting Rig" and you'll find all you need to know. The best part is it cost me around AUS$12.85. I ordered it last weekend, so it hasn't arrived yet. Usually something like this takes about 7-8 working days to get here.

There's been a lot of good feedback on this outfit and it seems to make perfect sense if you want to stay with your light spin gear in freshwater, as I do. And good luck on your move to Melbourne.

Hope this helps,

Nursie

Thanks for the feedback, this is good info.

As I'll be looking at a travel rod (necessary for my scooter, and handy for hiking), I'm a bit limited in rod weight. I think I've landed on a Shakespeare Agility 5pce, 2-4kg 6'6"; maybe a bit heavier than ideal but as close as I can find.

Now to trawl through the archives for tactics, and following the move should have some reports to share!

Hrgh

Hi Hrgh, I would recommend the Shimano Raider Travel Spin rod (2-4kg). Bassboy uses this as his finesse rod and casts light SPs and HBs with ease (using 3lb braid). He has caught everything from wild stream trout, impoundment bass and the odd bream from the racks (when the braid doesn't touch the leases :biggrin2: ). We have both been very impressed with this extremely capable travel rod. Good luck with your move to Melbourne..........hope you love your AFL :wacko: