Turon River - sad sorry state of affairs

Well it was palnned maos looked at and the anticipation of catching feeding fish ready to spawn in the Turon above the gates 3 days camping taking HTFU pills for the minus 6 night!!!!

Well to put it bluntly in the 12kms of river covered on foot a dozen small trout spotted and over 200 carp right up near the headwaters. Those redds that were evident were getting disturbed by carp and the fish that fellow raiders were getting in this river and fish I was geting were non existant pools that once held 4 to 5 good fish were devoid, we looked downstream of tha gates and all it was was carp up stream more carp headwaters more carp!!!!!!!!!!! I did do some lovely scenery photos did not touch a fish so my closing weekend was less than eventful, a river I will be giving a miss for a while there better waters closer to home! Very dissapointed and very shocked at the inroads carp have made from Sofala upstream!!!!!

Cheers Royce

Sad to hear that the carp have invaded these waters royce.Has the appearance of the carp been a recent thing or have the numbers increased steadily over the years.On a brighter note did you at least get better weather up there.The one weekend that I am off and it bloody rains.Will tee up a session soon.

steve

That's not good at all LA. Wonder why they have invaded that far up. My last trip there I went fair way up past the gates and saw no carp at all. How was the water level? Looks like its risen a little bit. Must admit I thought you'd kill it up there this weekend _ cold, rising water and fish already in spawn mode! Ah well.

i have seen carp in the upper turon for a few years. the only good thing about the drought was it killed most of them. but after all the rain we have had in the last 18 months its put a lot more water in the rivers making it easy for the carp to travel further up the river. there is also carp a long way up the winburndale rivulet, clear creek, campbells river, fish river thats just to name a few. i have seen them up tiny creeks in holes no bigger than a bath tub, these creeks only run after heavy rain and for only short periods but the carp still get up them. if there is a river that holds carp it doesent take them long to travel the system and any other system that joins into it.