Freshwater Fishing Day Trip Suggestions

Hi Raiders,

Last year I managed to catch my first ever trout at Lake Jindabyne, and i'm now hooked.

I would like to go on a day trip in the near future to target some trout again. Given that i'm on the central coast, I am willing to travel up to 4 hours.

At the moment I am considering Thompsons Creek Dam as I think it should take me around 3 hours to get to. I have read that it is an artificial fly and lure dam only. I'm fine with that. Are there any other restrictions to this dam apart from not fishing on the dam wall? Are you allowed to take trout from this dam or is it catch and release only? And does this dam have a closed season?

Or does anyone else have any other suggestions on where I can go for a day trip to fish for trout? Also, when is the best time of year to target trout?

Cheers,

Phil

Hi Phil, Thommo's is great for a day out, however this time of year, the fishing is quite tricky due to the Rainbows being in spawning mode.

They can still be caught, however the window is small.

It's a great place to fish, so even if you don't catch, it's a great day out.

When we're you thinking of coming up to have a crack?

I would suggest maybe leave it another month, by them hopefully the fish would have settled down a bit.

Restriction wise, yes, the "no fishing on the Dam wall" rule came in around 4 weeks ago, with a $500 fine now if caught fishing on there.

Apart from that, you can fish 1 hour before sunrise through to 3 hours after sunset.

You can fish all year round. You are allowed to take 2 fish per day.

No fires or camping either.

The water level is at max capacity too, so I would advise on a pair of waders, or gum boots!

Enjoy her mate when you come up, she's a beauty!

Thanks for the reply guys.

What about Lake Wallace just up the road from TCD? Are there any trout in this lake? And can you use bait in this lake? I will probably bring my 9 year old son so I think maybe somewhere you can use bait may be the way to go.

I'm not to fussed on catching monster trout, it would just be great to catch a feed of them.

Cheers,

Phil

There are trout in Wallace, and some big ones...Although you can bait fish, they can be hard to catch there...Still, you have a good chance in Wallace...

That said, I've been told from a good local source that your best not eating the trout out of Wallace...Something to do with chemicals in the water?!

I would say TCD would be your best bet, just maybe not at the moment.

You want low wind, preferably south, or south south easterly, 0-7 klms max.

Wind is the killer up at Thommo's, so yeah, check out "Willyweather"...Search Portland, which will give you current conditions for TCD.

I wouldn't worry about a bit or rain, but yeah, avoid if the wind is higher than say 9/10 klms.

There should be some good fishing up at Thommo's after the spawn run ends....When that ends is hard to say...I go up once a week, so I'll try to keep you posted on current events.

I'll PM you over the coming weeks!

• 2 months later...

Hi Foolforjesus,

Chemicals in the water?? I don't think so.. Lived up here all my life,I've caught and ate fish from here and no probs to speak of ( some memory loss and a slight twitch aside ). The power house has strict guidelines implemented by the government on the water being discharged into the river and independent sources are testing the discharge on a regular basis.

cheers Dan

Hi Dan, as I said, I was only told that from another local, so I wouldn't know first hand.

To be honest, I've always thought if a fish is in good condition, healthy and active, surely it must be good to eat, so yeah, the fish I've caught in the past at Wallace have always been just that.

And yes, I have eaten a Trout from Wallace before, but just the one! (I generally like to put them back)

Cheers, Chris

G'day

Just a quick suggestion, when the rivers open Barrington Tops region is up your way and has some cracking streams running through it, also some good camp spots and you can get as remote as you like. TCD is a good old spot if you want to catch a fish from a dams edge. The location does however have very little appeal as far as scenery but is convenient. Up this way if you do a little research and want get away from the crowds from the big smoke have a look at Lake Lyell at the top end - come in from Rydel, some big browns and rainbows to be had here. Be careful here it's can be quite slippery drive in during the wet colder months, same as the back way into TCD. I like this spot because you have a good chance in the off season to catch a trophy spawner near where the feeding river runs into the dam. Also the Duckmaloi River out at Oberon is worth a look! Question to the Raiders - How often is TCD stocked because as far as I know trout are unable to spawn in this dam even though they spunk and egg up in winter?

Good luck, hope you catch a monster.

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

I happened to be at TCD once when they were stocking fingerlings (That is all they stock), and I asked how often do they stock the dam.

They said at least 3-4 times a year, between 5,000 - 10,000 Rainbows & Browns each time.

Regarding getting to the top end of Lyell, coming in from Rydal, can you get close to the water with a 2WD.

Cheers, Chris

Hey Chris

Wow that's a great restocking rate for TCD, no wonder it' s such a popular spot. Do you know if the fish came from Gaden Hatchery?? You can get most of the way down the track on the Rydal side in a 2 wd but make sure it is dry or you won't be coming home soon, better off with a 4wd if you have access to one. It is also a bit of a hike. The best tool I use as I'm sure most of us do is the google sat and terrain maps, how easy has this made exploring different locations.

Regards

Patrick

Disagree about the wind needing to be low at TCD, some of the best fishing I have had there has been in a howling gale and sleet/rain. Makes casting a fly tough, but Trout no matter where respond to wind quite well. I remember a day up there when it was a blowing hard and there were giant slicks of mixed bugs'n'stuff being washed up on the shore (along with mountains of suds!), there were Rainbows all along the edge, you could sometimes see them in the waves like Salmon on the beach. Had to resort to a spin rod though as I spent more time hunting rabbits behind me with a Fly!

I find it hard to believe they stock it 3-4 times a year with Fingerlings, Trout only spawn once a year so Fingerlings would be only available twice a year (once for Browns and once for Rainbows). They source them from Gaden, unless they are getting a secondary input from Dutton?

Cheers

Windy

Hi Windy, not sure regarding the stocking as to fingerlings 3-4 times a year...Maybe they can produce eggs all year round?

The fisheries officer told me though, 3-4 times a year is the norm.

He also told me that the fingerlings do come from both Gaden & Dutton hatcherys.

Ok...Just got off the phone with a bloke at Dutton, and he said they do stock Thommo's once a year with 5-10K fingerlings of each Browns & Rainbows.

He also said that Gaden would most likely stock once a year to with the same quantity...From what he said, Dutton are the main stocking source, whilst Gaden are secondary.

I also just called Gaden, and they also said they stock 5-10K once a year, so there you go!

Also local clubs buy fry to stock rivers & possibly the dams...

So yeah, 3-4 times a year not correct, 1-2 times a year is the norm.

I agree too with the wind, I've had some great sessions with crazy winds, plus it certainly doesn't affect the fish, but does make the fishing tough and uncomfortable.

Cheers, Chris

Edited by foolforjesus

There ya go, explains the 3-4 times a year. Didn't think about the acclimitasation societies either, is the Southern Highlands mob who stock that region? All though most of their fry purchases go into the private dams around the Southern Highlands I believe.

My question now is, is Lyell still being stocked? I heard rumours that only Bass were being put in and personally I don't think the recruitment from the Cox' river is sufficient to maintian Lyell as a viable Trout fishery. Be a shame, as Lyell is one of my favourite lakes.

Cheers

Windy

Hi Windy, I didn't go into Lyell, but the bloke at Dutton did mention that he had not done the Thommo's stocking before, only Lyell & Wallace...

So I guess to answer your question, yes they do still stock Lyell.

I've never done much good at Lyell, although I've not fished it a great deal.

On the to do list!

Cheers, Chris

Edited by foolforjesus

Lyell is a bit more hit and miss than TCD, had some fantastic fishing and my PB Brown has come out of there but then it can really shut down at times too. A boat is a massive bonus as you can track the Gudgeon schools, find the Gudgeon find the Trout.

The other aspect I like about Lyell is I can endulge in some relaxing ass-sitting style fishing. A Powerbait out, a camp chair and a cuppa. For when I don't feel overly active and just want to relax with my thoughts. The Bass are an added bonus too.

Cheers

Windy

Matt, FFJ

Its the Lithgow Branch of the Central Acclimatisation Society thta do the stocking in these parts and they starte stocking areas a couple weeks back.

I am a memeber of the Sofala Branch and was talking to El Presidente the other night he was telling me some very interesting things about theTuron Stocking over the last few years. I also got a lot of good inside info on the Coxes and surrounding streams.

Point is if you want good info join the local acclimatisation society I have contacts for both Lithgow and Sofala and the yearly fee is massive! $10 and well spent! You will find the guys very accomodating and they will tell you where fish are and what topo maps are needed.

General Report is all rivers in the central west look pretty healthy and good numbers of fish are already showing in the rivers! I know where I'll be opening day!