Atlantic Salmon or Brown Trout

On Strike

This photo was sent to me last week after a friend of mine helped land it at Jindabyne. Those who know will know the spot immediately so its no big secret. Coincidentially the this fish appears to have been caught in the exact same spot as that reported by Cruisecraft. Both fish show an uncanny resemblance. My photo however shows a large ball on the lower jaw. A fisheries officer identified the fish as a released brood stock salmon released from the hatchery days earlier. As I understand it about four were caught soon after release and all were about 13lb or 6kg. For mine the tail looks more like a brown but the head looks like a salmon. What are your thoughts.

post-9993-056645900 1339901845_thumb.jpg

Edited by On Strike

Ok, I've done a bit of Google research into the differences, and from what I can tell, the main noticeable difference between the two, is that a Brown Trout's upper lip extends well past the rear of the eye, as opposed to a Salmon, who's upper lip sits roughly to the edge of the eye or slightly beyond...

I've been looking through photos of brown trout I've caught, comparing them with the photo of your fish, and the above theory appears to be right?!

Check out the Gaden Trout hatchery website at www.dpi.gov.au/fisheries/info/gaden. In the photos on the left hand side there is a photo of a brood salmon. Same colours and mug as in the FR photos. When compared with the colouration of the brood brown shown the difference is obvious. I was told yesterday that most of the salmon released are fin clipped but not always. I too have caught salmon in Lake Jindabyne and they looked nothing like the beasty from the river. They were more silver/bronze in colour with small spots. A mate who lives there suggested that a small number of brood stock are released straight into the river in the No fishing area at the hatchery and obviously they are free to roam.This has credit due to the fact that there was a small number of fish of the same size caught in the same part of the river around the same time. I wasn't able to get an answer weather or not the fish were released into the river or the lake. I think that maybe the brood salmon adapt and change a little given they are living in a pond and being fed pellets as opposed to swimming in the lake or the flowing river. Was told that the salmon are known to swim back up the river after being released into the lake as they can smell the water from which river they came from and obviously the hatchery water is pumped out of the river . Never caught one in the river though. Now back to fly tying.

Paul

On Strike

Edited by On Strike

Hi Paul,

The colours sure looks like a brown but Steve Williamson called Pat's a salmon, when Pat took the fish to Steve's shop for a weigh and measure. Both your mate's and Pat's fish do look very similar, and both were caught at the same spot. Pat got his on Monday 4th June. So Salmon it is as I have to go with the expert opinion(Steve's).

Regards Kit

Hi Kit,

I think salmons the final call and a bloody good one too. The fish in my photo was caught on the 5th June ( thats when the photo was sent to me )Did your friend get it mounted ????. Would look great on the man room wall. Also heard that whoever caught one of the other ones got picked up by Fisheries on the way out for not having a fishing licence. I too got asked for mine at Eucy so make sure you carry it with you all the time. Good to see Fisheries out checking too I think. See you on the river.

Paul

On Strike