$100 Buck Fine for having more than 4 rods

stevo-72

So this is fact on the DPI website.... what shocks me is that if your even in possesion of more than 4 rods and not having lines in the water you can get fined. The person that recived the fine is a friend of a friend and got contacted by water police today as they were contenplating on fining him $1000 bucks as he had 2 corner snapper racks that hold 3 rods each, so he had 6 rods out fishing alone for bream and stuff. The guy feels upset about the whole deal especially waiting for a police phone call for the conformation of what the fine will be. Wonder what the fine is for J walking these days.

Update. The fine for a $100 was for not having Bucket with a rope attached together and secured to the boat.

Edited by stevo-72

Total number of rods or lines

4 rods or handlines

Number of hooks per line

3 hooks or three gangs of hooks *

Rod/ hand jigging line

1 rod or handline with up to 6 single hooks with lures attached #

Bait trap

1 trap

Hoop net or witches hat

5 nets

Crab trap

1 trap

Lobster trap

1 trap

Spanner crab net

1 net

Hand hauled prawn net

1 net

Scissors (push) net

1 net

Dip or scoop net

1 net

Spear/ spear gun

-

The table provides a maximum of each gear type permitted per person in use or in possession at any time.

I cant find were it says you can have more than 4 rods

Edited by stevo-72

per person...

here is the legislation: click here

After reading this legislation quote, it means that a person cannot use more than 4 rods or handlines at any one time, so it is 'per person', and it relates to having the lines in the water for the purpose of catching fish.

The original quote from Steveo-72 refers to the friend as using 6 rods at the one time, so that becomes an offence if that is correct.

I read another statement elsewhere which stated that each person is not to be in possession of more than 4 rods or lines at any one time (to me that reads as having in your possession but not necessarily being used). Well, sometimes I fish for different fish at different locations, so I wont be using a tailor rod to fish for whiting with nippers, so I will be in possession of more than 4 rigged rods at any one time, as well as a couple of handlines, as I rig up before I head out into the darkness. I am sure there are others who have more than 4 rods each.

I called the Fisheries phone line to query this 'possession' statement, and like all Government Depts these days, all you get to do is speak to a f#^*ing recorded voice that refers you back to the website. So I called 8 Fisheries offices in Sydney and along the coast, not one office has anyone there, either the numbers have changed, or to leave a message on the answering machine.

Yowie.

I read another statement elsewhere which stated that each person is not to be in possession of more than 4 rods or lines at any one time (to me that reads as having in your possession but not necessarily being used). Well, sometimes I fish for different fish at different locations, so I wont be using a tailor rod to fish for whiting with nippers, so I will be in possession of more than 4 rigged rods at any one time, as well as a couple of handlines, as I rig up before I head out into the darkness. I am sure there are others who have more than 4 rods each.

yes, this 'possession' is only noted on the fisheries website and in the fisheries guide.

I called the Fisheries phone line to query this 'possession' statement, and like all Government Depts these days, all you get to do is speak to a f#^*ing recorded voice that refers you back to the website. So I called 8 Fisheries offices in Sydney and along the coast, not one office has anyone there, either the numbers have changed, or to leave a message on the answering machine.

Yowie.

i too raised this with a fisheries officer but by email, and he would not clarify the 'possession' part, but did say that it is "rigged" rods that are counted...

i have that in writing.

EDIT: just re-read some of your post, and yes, hand reels that are rigged are counted - so be aware of that!

Edited by user1829

yes, this 'possession' is only noted on the fisheries website and in the fisheries guide.

i too raised this with a fisheries officer but by email, and he would not clarify the 'possession' part, but did say that it is "rigged" rods that are counted...

i have that in writing.

EDIT: just re-read some of your post, and yes, hand reels that are rigged are counted - so be aware of that!

Copy that.

But as a side issue, it is much harder to rig up at night than in daylight the day before, even with a torch. Logic does not exist with some regulations.

Edited by yowie

Copy that.

But as a side issue, it is much harder to rig up at night than in daylight the day before, even with a torch. Logic does not exist with some regulations.

Hey Yowie your right but then again when was the last time anyone saw a Fisheries Officer out and about at night time!!

Hey Yowie your right but then again when was the last time anyone saw a Fisheries Officer out and about at night time!!

Up the Central Coast i've seen them out plenty at night especially around The Entrance and at times up Lake Macquarie.

So this is fact on the DPI website.... what shocks me is that if your even in possesion of more than 4 rods and not having lines in the water you can get fined. The person that recived the fine is a friend of a friend and got contacted by water police today as they were contenplating on fining him $1000 bucks as he had 2 corner snapper racks that hold 3 rods each, so he had 6 rods out fishing alone for bream and stuff. The guy feels upset about the whole deal especially waiting for a police phone call for the conformation of what the fine will be. Wonder what the fine is for J walking these days.

Update. The fine for a $100 was for not having Bucket with a rope attached together and secured to the boat.

Hi Stevo, Just got of the line from DPI and you can have as many rods/lines as you want,as long as you do not use more than four at a time.

All excess rods/lines can be hooked up as long as you do not have then in a rod holder, you can have them standing in a rod holder that is on the inside of the gunnel standing upright.Or have stored away in cabin of boat.In a tinnie you can have them lying on the floor all rigged up ready to go. Cheers RAY

Up the Central Coast i've seen them out plenty at night especially around The Entrance and at times up Lake Macquarie.

we were 'inspected' at Woy Woy last weekend, in the rain, and at night... they said they had been catching up with comercial guys most of the afternoon, and were dropping into a few reco spots that night...

my mate had left his licence back at the car, but we obvioulsy passed the attitude test and he was just reminded that it must be kept 'on your person' whilst fishing.

as for the rigging up at home issue - that was the catalyst for this other thread:

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=62595

Hi Stevo, Just got of the line from DPI and you can have as many rods/lines as you want,as long as you do not use more than four at a time.

All excess rods/lines can be hooked up as long as you do not have then in a rod holder, you can have them standing in a rod holder that is on the inside of the gunnel standing upright.Or have stored away in cabin of boat.In a tinnie you can have them lying on the floor all rigged up ready to go. Cheers RAY

interesting to know, however it is contrary to the written advice I was given that states:

"A person can only use or possess 4 rigged rods or handlines. Extra rods and handlines can be carried as long as they are not rigged with hooks or lures."

I personally feel that the statement I got is NOT what the legislation actually says, and that what RAYp has relayed IS the correct interpretation (and logical interpretation) of what the law actually says...

we were 'inspected' at Woy Woy last weekend, in the rain, and at night... they said they had been catching up with comercial guys most of the afternoon, and were dropping into a few reco spots that night...

my mate had left his licence back at the car, but we obvioulsy passed the attitude test and he was just reminded that it must be kept 'on your person' whilst fishing.

as for the rigging up at home issue - that was the catalyst for this other thread:

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=62595

Read your attachment.

Finally managed to have someone answer a phone at a Fisheries office, was a bloke from Lake Illawarra. He stated that the law was only 4 rods/handlines rigged at any one time, however, if you were slightly over that number, and not aggressive or obnoxious to the Fisheries Officer, it would probably end in a discussion between the 2 of you and that would be the end. If you had many rods/handlines rigged, would be a different story.

In saying that, people are different, and the same goes for fisheries officers, cops, parking cops, etc, some abide strictly by the rules and regulations, and some have common sense, but not all.

I explained that I would have a few rods/handlines rigged, and another rod with a lure in case a school of tailor, salmon, etc splashed near the boat, (therefore exceeding the 4 rigged rods/lines) so I could have a quick cast to them. He stated he fishes similar to myself, and the way to get around it is to have a clip on the line on the rod, so if a school of surface fish splash about, attach a lure to the clip and cast out quickly. He explained that some fishermen fish with more than 4 rods/lines each, and when they see a Fisheries boat nearby, they quickly wind in the other lines and sit there looking dumb with their maximum 4 lines out. The fisheries officers usually are looking through binoculars from a distance, so they can see you before they approach you.

Has anyone else experienced the same thing? I've never heard of anyone getting fined for carrying too many rods, expect now.

I'm getting at 2 things here:

1. fuss about nothing

2. the police (just like parking inspectors) do have quotas, tax payers money doesn't cut it.

The rules and regulations are there, however, if you are carrying a couple over the limit of 4 rigged, but not actually fishing with them, there will probably be no problems.

I would say if you were committing another offence as well, or you have a yelling match with the fisheries officer, it might be a different story.

I would say if you were committing another offence as well, or you have a yelling match with the fisheries officer, it might be a different story.

that seems to be the common theme, people getting fines didn't *just* have a couple of extra rods...