Hooking up live bait

Benji-martin

I need some advice on how to hook live yellowtail. For years I have used a singal hook just behind the head of the fish and this has worked for me now and then but over last few trips I have done at little manly cove and WB I have had the live bait bitten right up to thd hook. While at manly it happened twice so moved the hook to the back of the fish and it never got touched. On the weekend I put the in the back of the fish and happened again but the other way around. Is this just very unlucky or is there away of hooking it up with two hooks with out killing if quickly?

Martin

Hi

i have the diagram that you are talking about from a previous thread

but i cant upload it mainly because i dont know how, i have tried though

ill try and get it up as soon as i can

sorry

Edited by sam bros

For what you want to do i dont think you have to go to the trouble of needle and rubber band.

For kingies and jewies what i do is.

single hook on the end of leader hooked straight through the nose ( In the mouth out the top of its mouth/ nose ) This lets the bait still swim straight. When fish take a live bait or any fish they generally grab them in there mouth run and then turn the fish/ bait around so its going down there gob head first ( so the dorsal and other spikes push down and not out.

So they could be grabbing them and not getting to swallow before they realise they attatched to a line. Let them run a bit or even until the run stops or fish your livies with some slack line.

But i have had this aswell getting bit and just missing the hook.

all i do is tie a stinger hook straight to the eye of your first hook. hook your first hook as normal through the nose and the stinger hook with slack line through the back of the fish just in front of the tail.

Hope that made sense Dave