1st overhead setup, need some advice

Gday raiders,

Used a mates overhead for the first time and loved it yesterday.

Now need some advice on my first setup. I have decided to get a shimano tyrnos but can't choose between the 20/30 and whether or not I get single speed or two speed. Its use for now will be an initial all rounder to cater for live baiting, trolling and jigging. Running 30lb mono. I'm also looking at a 15kg tcurve rod to match. Targets would be small to medium game.

Need some help in making my decision from you by telling me the difference between sizes and if I need the 2 gears or not.

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

Cheers,

Stav

what is small to medium game? lack of confidence?

the difference between an initial all rounder and what you really want is about a days fuel. work out what you really want and buy it once, its cheaper that way.

all rounders dont really work cos a good jigging reel wont cut it for trolling when you hit the fish you have been aiming for for years.

and then do you REALLY need it? the last thing any serious boat needs is more rods. (never stopped me though)

happy purchasing

• 7 months later...

I have decided to get a shimano tyrnos but can't choose between the 20/30 and whether or not I get single speed or two speed. Its use for now will be an initial all rounder to cater for live baiting, trolling and jigging. Running 30lb mono. I'm also looking at a 15kg tcurve rod to match. Targets would be small to medium game.

Need some help in making my decision from you by telling me the difference between sizes and if I need the 2 gears or not.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have fished overheads for years, and still fish yellowfin and Mahi Mahi in Mexico annually, so I think my fishing is similar to your "small to medium game". A 15Kg T-Curve (I use 7 feet) is ideal for this. I like "20" size reels, as it's easier to level-wind a narrow reel. I string mine with 65lb braid, although 50lb is enough. I have about 7 2-speed reels, and I have NEVER ONCE gone into low speed. I am convinced all you need is a single speed, and a fast one at that. You are not going to winch in the fish, so the reel is really just a take-up spool, and the faster you can take up, the better.

What is important is the condition of the reel, and especially the drags. I have all my reels worked over before I use them, and in particular get the drags lubed with Cal's grease. They are smooth as silk, which really helps avoiding break-offs due to jerky drags.Set your drags every day before you fish - I set mine to 4.5Kg at strike. I have caught marlin up to around 100lb on this rig, so it is certainly up to some heavy lifting.

Good luck

Edited by Chinook Hunter

• 3 weeks later...

Mate depends on what you're targeting. I run a tyrnos 30 w 24kg mainline and use that for live bait trolling around the heads and channel markers in Sydney. Whenever we head out wide to fads etc we run 50 & 80 tiagras. Even though you may be targeting dollies/yft outside you never know what's going to jump on & it'll always be the case when u hook onto a big fish it'll always be on your lightest setup. I know a lot of people think a 30 is overkill for kingies around Sydney, but I've been smoked plenty of times running 7-8kg of drag. As for one or two speed, forget the two; one will do the job and there's no stuffing around. I've seen it happen before where a beakie is straight down deep and we're trying to get some line back & she's just sitting there, only to have the fish decide to bolt resulting in a lost fish cause muggins didn't flick it out of low speed and had slack line. He was winding like a sailer working the winch. My 30 is too big for jigging, I've got a nice trinidad 16 which does the job beautifully. Completely agree when it comes to jigging the narrower the better.

I just bought the tyrnos50 spooled with 700m of 24kg for $400. Think I did ok? Used same set up the other week and was a great setup. Had to have one. Can't wait to use my own this weekend!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Nice reel scratches, must admit I absolutely love my tyrnos 30, smooth, heafty and runs real well; looks good to! I'm sure you'll have lots of good fishing outings with it. I've had mine for around 5 years and just had it serviced, for no reason inparticular but just thought I should & it's running as good as out of the box. Let us know how you go with it. Edited by Fish-On

Nice reel scratches, must admit I absolutely love my tyrnos 30, smooth, heafty and runs real well; looks good to! I'm sure you'll have lots of good fishing outings with it. I've had mine for around 5 years and just had it serviced, for no reason inparticular but just thought I should & it's running as good as out of the box. Let us know how you go with it.

Will do. I'm pumped for the trailer boat tournament this weekend. I have the leave pass, the crew and now the gear! It's just up to the weather to stay as forecast and of course the fishing gods to shine on me!

Cheers scratchie!!!