Roseville Ramp Upgrade - Completed 19th June

wise one

Went to have a look at the ramp last Sunday (24th June).

Seemed to be a long way from completed..... Even though it says to be completed by Friday 29th June.

Anyone heard anything about a revised completion date or indeed that it will be completed on time?

Anyone driven past and can let us know if the mobile traffic sign has any updated message?

I was planning to launch my boat there on Saturday but don't want to tow it all the way there to find it is still closed (which I suspect will be the case).

Cheers

Yep the sign said 6th of July this morning.

Even before they closed the ramp my neighbour said to me "Mate it'll be closed to the 15th of July, easy". I'm starting to believe he may be right!

Rome was not built in a day! Be thankful that the ramp is being upgraded and that it will be much more user friendly in the future. The upgrade at Tunks Park a couple of years ago has made it far better, especially for those fishing solo. I hope the works at Rose Bay are as good and user friendly when it is completed. Be patient my friends - good things come to those who wait.

Kel

Taking the kids out today - anyone know if it's open yet?

When I looked at it last week, the sign still said closed until 6th July....

However it looked a loooooong way of being complete - I woul be (very pleasantly) suprised if it was open today. :thumbdown:

Anyone else driven past it today and can give us an update?

When I looked at it last week, the sign still said closed until 6th July....

However it looked a loooooong way of being complete - I woul be (very pleasantly) suprised if it was open today. :thumbdown:

Anyone else driven past it today and can give us an update?

Definitely not... just came back a hour ago.... sign said 10th of July now.... fat chance.... here is the photo to prove it, taken today (6th of July, midday).

W

post-17739-043678300 1341544615_thumb.jpg

Definitely not... just came back a hour ago.... sign said 10th of July now.... fat chance.... here is the photo to prove it, taken today (6th of July, midday).

W

Got sucked in last saturday. I think it's taking them another 2 weeks. And it doesn't look like there will be toilets. Well lucky me that there are trees !

That always happen in government's project. The toilet of the tafe building that i'm attending has been renovated since early april are still not finished and sometimes i've to use the female toilet with scare that gals bump in. hopeless contractors.

Got sucked in last saturday. I think it's taking them another 2 weeks. And it doesn't look like there will be toilets. Well lucky me that there are trees !

Ohh no, dont be so disenchanted, the toilet block is almost complete (see photo, 6th July)

post-17739-014536000 1341562160_thumb.jpg

Will now be 3 lanes, not 4.

Pontoon down the centre replace "lane 3".

It will be interesting to see whether boats using the pontoon "block" the access to the ramp.

Hopefully some signs on "how to use" the pontoon / ramp will educate users so we can alll efficiently use the ramp and avoid "ramp rage"

Will now be 3 lanes, not 4.

Pontoon down the centre replace "lane 3".

It will be interesting to see whether boats using the pontoon "block" the access to the ramp.

Hopefully some signs on "how to use" the pontoon / ramp will educate users so we can alll efficiently use the ramp and avoid "ramp rage"

I agree, I was actualy wondering what the best practice protocol is with this type of configuration?

When you drop the boat in, do you just tie it off at the end of the jetty while you wait for the parking person to run back and jump in?

When coming in, do you tie off at the jetty while somone runs to get the car?

Wojciech

I think ideally one side of the pontoon for launching and one for retrieving.

If someone launches and ties their boat to the pontoon, then that will block the lane for any wanting to retrieve their boats and you can imagine the confusion (and collissions) if a launched boat tries to get past a boat awaiting retrieval on the same side of the pontoon.

You need to imagine the pontoon as a "conveyor belt" with one side moving out to sea and the other side heading into the ramp.

On launching you tie the boat up as far away from the ramp as possible so as to leave room "inside" you for the next boat to be launched.

On retrieving you tie the boat up as close as possible to the ramp so as to leave room "outside" you for the next boat to be retrieved.

The issue will be that we have two lanes on one side of the pontoon and only one lane on the other - so shich side for launch and which for retrieval :wacko:

Logic would say 2 lanes for launch in the morning, 1 for retrieval and then reverse this after midday - however that adds further complexity :(

Given the abuse I have seen hurled around when drivers don't reverse on a perfectly straight line and "between the lanes" on the ramp, I can imagine some hot tempers flaring with the new ramp setup.

Perhaps Maritime should have some boating officers around for a few weeks to ensure everything goes smoothly.

Or maybe we could have "tidal flow" traffic lights on the pontoon!

Over the last month or so i've watched them make very little progress! From what i've seen, they "work" for half an hour then have a few beers and repeat this till they knock off early arvo! Personally, i can't see it being finished before August. All i can say is that the ramp better be damn good when they finish!

was diving home and in my re view mirror i thought i saw that they are opening one lane as of tomorrow,

will confirm tomorrow and might go and test it out on the weekend,

hope the wait in the end will be worth it,

I put in at Brooklyn on the weekend which is of a similar configuration as what Roseville is going to be. That seems to work ok, but I would imagine that if there was a few boats, there would be mayhem.

There was someone there trying to put a 25 foot boat on a trailer, and was understandably struggling with it, so it tied up one lane for quite a while. Luckily there weren't many others trying to put in as is usually the case on a Saturday morning.

I reckon the bigger issue is with the turnaround at the top of the ramp. There should be a sign there with 10m high letters that says "do not stop here. Turning bay only" or somesuch. Watching people pull up there to procrastinate and spend 20 mins getting ready for launch really gets on my nerves.

Having said that, it's better than watching people do the same thing at Tunks Park, but there isn't a whole lot of room there at the best of times.