Roseville Ramp Upgrade - Completed 19th June

wise one

One lane is open today.

I agree with Spotterone. The guys who do their boat prep in the reversing only area are being very selfish and no letting the ramp operate as it has been designed. The weekend "biscuit" brigade are the most noted offenders.

With the central pontoon, it will be interesting to see if the system helps those who cannot easily launch solo. I fear that there will be conjestion in the two lanes either side of the pontoon.

One lane is open today.

I agree with Spotterone. The guys who do their boat prep in the reversing only area are being very selfish and no letting the ramp operate as it has been designed. The weekend "biscuit" brigade are the most noted offenders.

With the central pontoon, it will be interesting to see if the system helps those who cannot easily launch solo. I fear that there will be conjestion in the two lanes either side of the pontoon.

Yeah agree with you Ceph. It will leave just one lane open on far left and others clogged with moored boats to pontoon. Bet we start to see big cruisers and yahts just sitting there taking up space. Glad i mainly fish weekdays as it will go "to the rats" on sundays. Might have to have my morning coffee down there and put together a Go Pro Youtube movie. Might even get a few good ones for Funniest Home Videos. :thumbup:

Mike

I think ideally one side of the pontoon for launching and one for retrieving.

If someone launches and ties their boat to the pontoon, then that will block the lane for any wanting to retrieve their boats and you can imagine the confusion (and collissions) if a launched boat tries to get past a boat awaiting retrieval on the same side of the pontoon.

You need to imagine the pontoon as a "conveyor belt" with one side moving out to sea and the other side heading into the ramp.

On launching you tie the boat up as far away from the ramp as possible so as to leave room "inside" you for the next boat to be launched.

On retrieving you tie the boat up as close as possible to the ramp so as to leave room "outside" you for the next boat to be retrieved.

The issue will be that we have two lanes on one side of the pontoon and only one lane on the other - so shich side for launch and which for retrieval :wacko:

Logic would say 2 lanes for launch in the morning, 1 for retrieval and then reverse this after midday - however that adds further complexity :(

Given the abuse I have seen hurled around when drivers don't reverse on a perfectly straight line and "between the lanes" on the ramp, I can imagine some hot tempers flaring with the new ramp setup.

Perhaps Maritime should have some boating officers around for a few weeks to ensure everything goes smoothly.

Or maybe we could have "tidal flow" traffic lights on the pontoon!

Todays view of the jetty..... long enough to park a boat at the end and launch another...

post-17739-059054600 1342182493_thumb.jpg

Launched at Roseville yesterday after a 6 week enforced "holiday".

It was very quiet - which was good because it will take a bit of getting used to the new pontoon.

Great for launching, but retrieving was more interesting - I'm used to driving the boat onto the trailer - the pontoon gives you a lot less room to do this! Walking a boat onto a trailer is also a little tricky if you don't get the position of the trailer just right!

I think it will get very entertaining in Summer and particularly News Years Day!

It is a disaster. The congestion at the central pontoon will be unbearable!! And, just to compromise it a bit more, they have put the toilet block smack bang in the middle of the all the good parking spots. Lets hope that all the users can work out a good system and see if we can't polish this turd!!

I still don't get how this is going to make it better. All they needed to do was make the pontoon bigger so more than 3 boats could be tied up at a time... as someone who often boat on his own this was always my biggest problem at Roseville. The toilets will be a nice addition !!!!

I put the boat in as well, looked good, it was quiet but had an issue with a guy whs boat wouldnt start and had it at the front of the ramp, other boats had to swing there boats aroud his, not to much of an issue now but if it was packed there would have been, the best bit is the ramp seems deeper and loger underwater, i guess time will tell. and i noticed the wash bay was not working, is that getting the can or just on the mend?

This has been a disaster they've closed us out the ramp for months and now it looks like its going to be worse in terms of waiting times for us!

I thought they were just going to build a 2nd pontoon the same as the original one but on the other side of the lanes, now weve lost a lane as well.

This will be awful in the peak of summer when all the fair weather boaties come out in masses.. Aghhh public servants!

Hi all,

I just took some time during lunch to check out the ramp. I can report that it still is not folly completed, and the guys there told me another 'week or so'. All three lanes are open though. See pics.

Chatting with another spectator down there and we came to these conclusions:

• Going from 4 ramps down to 3 is a very bad idea. This place could barely cope with 4 lanes in summer.
  • The pontoon inserted where lane 3 was, will (at least initially) be 'interesting'. At best, it could help move boats through faster, but that would rely on people launching then tying up as far out as possible, otherwise, they will block the lane, especially at low tide. The pontoon should be 20m longer in our opinion.
  • We dont know whats happening on the left (north) side of the ramp yet, but best guess is that there is going to be a new steel walkway out to a pontoon for tieup, in about the same place as before.
  • The upgrade to the ramp itself is excellent, good grippy concrete and deep - even at low tide.
  • Parking - the toilet block will result in the loss of around 10-15 car spots. I'm actually ok with that, because I have been 'caught short' down there, so can see the advantages. It will mean less parking which wont make people happy at 10am Sunday in December!

post-15755-035736200 1342496846_thumb.jpg

post-15755-013924700 1342496847_thumb.jpg

And there is no way the toilet block will be ready in 'a week or so' !

post-15755-001324100 1342496848_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Fryboy

Edited by fryboy

This was posted on Boat Point today.

Total photo(s): 1

Ramp rage at Roseville

New ramp set for summer chaos, fights and conflict

There’s a saying that a little bit of information is dangerous. This seems to be the case with the local Warringhah Council responsible for the recent upgrade of Roseville Boat Ramp, one of Sydney’s most popular trailerboat launch spots.

Forget the fact the job wasn’t finished on time. After all, the upgrade of Roseville boat ramp in the Garigal National Park was no stroll in the park. Some $1.01 million was spent on repairs and on a new ramp pontoon with disability access. We have since learnt a new amenities block was added too.

The old three-wide concrete slab, which at times could accommodate four boats being launched abreast, retains its gradual incline. It still necessitates reversing till the rear wheels are at least partially submerged.

But in its wisdom, the council added a centre pontoon to the ramp. On paper, this sounds like a good idea. After all, plenty of Queensland boat ramps have a handy pontoon running alongside to facilitate dry-feet launch and retrieval.

Ahem, here’s the rub. The pontoon running down the middle of Roseville ramp is three metres wide, taking up a valuable launch lane and, should a couple of boats be tied to it, it prevents others from launching.

This is sure to fuel ramp rage in the high season in summer, as those launching short-handed will likely leave their boat(s) tied to the pontoon and, thus, block the ramp while parking their car.

While the reason for such a wide and obtrusive walkway is to allow disabled boating access, Roseville always had a pontoon off to the side of the ramp to facilitate this.

Harbour fishing guide no no no has loaded dozens of wheelchair anglers onto his boat from the old pontoon, which he says has a better and lower height than the new one, which is at gunwale height. And some of the bollards are located so close to shore they will be of no use at all.

Surely, no-one wants to place disabled boaters in the middle of a busy boat ramp. The old pontoon off to the side is the place for that. With a boat or two tied to the pontoon, the lane is effectively closed. It’s going to be chaos in summer.

Incidentally, the new amenities block was located in such a way it’s taken up five valuable car-parking spots. A site adjacent to the ramp, formerly occupied by an illegal building, was the obvious location for that.

All of which might sound like a trifling local issue for those who don’t use Roseville ramp in upper Middle Harbour. But be warned. There seems to be no code about how to build a boat ramp and, moreover, no input from those who use them.

Councils are left to their own devices and what they know about boating you could write on the back of a postage stamp.

Surely, the various state bodies could share notes and come up with a variety of best-example ramps for various environments from estuary calms to ocean locales?

And while they’re at it, why not add some plans for good fish-cleaning tables.

Meanwhile, after a cool $1 million in taxpayer’s money, Roseville ramp stands as a blueprint of what not to do!

Read the latest Boatsales Network news and reviews on your mobile, iPhone or PDA at the Boatsales Network's mobile site. Or download the all-new App.

Interesting.

I think they may have gone 'off' a little early with some of those comments... As mentioned in my post, there does seem to be a pontoon being built on the north side of the ramp, very similar to the old one, and possibly with better access. I guess we have to wait and see before passing judgement.

I'm also not sure they are laying into the right people. Is Warringah council responsible for this ramp? I thought it would be Maritime on behalf of NPWS.

Jeff

Its not Warringah council - upgrade has been managed by NSW Maritime (I believe) under the "Better Boating Program" and maintenance / running comes under National Parks (hence the fee to access and use the ramp).

The central pontoon will be OK provided boaters use it appropriately.

Ideally we need one side for launching, the other for retrieving - then boats tied to the pontoon will not "block" the ramp lane.

Provided boaters tie their boats up as far away from the ramp (when launching) and as close to the ramp (when retrieving) the process would work OK.

The problem is that we won't have everyone doing the right thing so it will indeed be chaos at busy times (Sunday in Summer).

It would be good is Maritime put up some recommendations / rules on use of the ramp (I hate signs, but in this case I think the use of the ramp needs to be so different from the way it used before the upgrade that some signage would help).

A few boating officers down there for the first few months of use "assisting" boaters would probably be good too.

It could be a great ramp with the upgrades, but equally it could become a basket case. We will have to wait and see.

Maybe we could put an application form for funding in (http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/mpd/better_boating.html) to excavate the right hand side, and get our lane back, and maybe get a fith one in.

btw if you see the link on the page called "Successfull Projects" you can see this project has already made the list.

Why they couldnt just put two pontoon jetties either side of the old (four lane) boat ramp is beyond me.....

Basically what they have done is spent $1m on changes that will decrease revenue for the park. Considering that the park generates money from people who enter the park and pay to enter, most consistent of those people who use the ramp facilities, it's a poor investment and will definately not gain any returns either

Maybe we could put an application form for funding in (http://www.maritime....er_boating.html) to excavate the right hand side, and get our lane back, and maybe get a fith one in.

btw if you see the link on the page called "Successfull Projects" you can see this project has already made the list.

Why they couldnt just put two pontoon jetties either side of the old (four lane) boat ramp is beyond me.....

+1 on that. Two pontoons, one on either side would have been great..

It will be fine in winter, but when summer comes along there will be frustration and hot tempers all the time, be prepared for a 25% increase in waiting times to launch and retrieve with one lane less now.

Yeah, the primary reason why we launch at 10pm the night before,,, it not only beats the weekend warriors, but it gives you ample time to gather your liveys, both squid and yakkas alike :thumbup: . Before you pick your spot before at 5am, and watch them all come charging frantically out of the ramp :ranting2: , and retrieve your boat at 10-11am, whilst laughing your a@# off at people trying to get out there when the best fishing of the day is over.

Dan

Edited by Dan and Greg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Launched at Roseville 3 times over last week. The weekdays being Tuesday and Friday where fine. No traffic at all. But on Monday being the public holiday was a bit hectic.

Putting the boat in the water @ 5am was ok. A thew fishing boats where heading out at the same time. Not a real hassle. Coming back In at 11am and it was chaos. 4 boats waiting to be pulled out. 10 boats waiting to go in. It wasn't a big problem. Took a little while longer then usual to get my boat out. But that's ok. I like upgrades they did to the ramp. And I'm in no real rush to get my boat out or in.

We just need a little patience.

So far its not too bad, most launchers are even walking their boats down the ramp.

Only issue I've seen (apart from a longer wait) is that some boaters insist on trying to turn their boats around in the gap between the new and old jetties instead of just reversing clear of the area before turning the boat around!

Biggest issue with the ramp is only having 2 taps to wash down, having to pay for these (even though you pay to park anyway) and at least 50% of the time the machines are broken anyway :ranting2:

Love the speed of construction of the toilet block too :1prop:

THey seem to be spending all the time putting nice new sandstone paving down rather than actually building the toilets.

I would also like to see the carpark re-surfaced - some pretty big potholes that might hurt the trailer / boat if you dissappear into one :bump0ee: