Bluefin off Sydney - Saturday 30th - Now with report & pictures

Well there were a lot of boats out today and a few fish caught. Glad to see a few boats caught some yellowfin finally...we ended up with 3 bluefin from a 4 way hookup between 50 - 75kg & heard of a couple around 100kg. Will post pictures when get a chance. Good luck if you get out tomorrow.

Cheers

Damo

Edited by Reef Magic Charters

i was out all day for only one albacore. We headed about 18nm SE of browns for nothing (only saw one other boat out there in the morning) along 34.07-34.08 area. then headed towards heatons for the albacore. On the way back there seemed to be a few more boats trolling and cubing the area SE of browns. Long day but managed a plenty of gemfish on the bottom.

top fishing .And yes if that doesnt get you out of bed what would.Went to browns yesterday got blue eye and gem a few stripys in 1500 .Would have gone today but no crew can"t wait for the fin to come on big time

Thanks guys it was good to see some quality fish on the deck.

Well what a day on the water - hardly any wind all day and finally that current pushed in from the SW and conditions had changed dramatically from Friday. Water temperature was 0.3 cooler but still no noticable edge so we knew it would just be head for the hills and work the edges. After marking one small patch of fish quite deep which we couldn't raise we finally got some good marks and as we both turned from the sounder to look at the lures to witness a sight that few see happen - the fish all came to the surface and attacked everything - they were attacking the bird teasers in from of the lures in numbers until the unlucky fish hit the lure. As we watched the left rigger pop the right soon followed and then both corners. Unfortunately they left the shotty that was a long way out alone.

The scentblazer teaser was definitely doing is job as multiple fish tried to tear it from the transom and everytime i tried to pull it in had it ripped back out of my hands as 60kg fish were almost hitting the transom trying to eat it.

With the teaser in we set at dealing with the fish 1 by 1.

Munsey being the most experienced angler got the job of going hard first and after 10 minutes i put the gaff into his fish.

post-6936-026846900 1341109098_thumb.jpg

Then it was Robbo's turn and after a torrid battle and with the fish 20 feet from the boat there was a heart breaking moment as the hook snapped and Robbo got to watch his fish glide into the depths. A devistated Robbo headed for a beer to soften the loss. After inspecting the hook i must have had a production flaw as we could see where the hook had a hairline fracture.

We then got Rob into the action and with his fish close by on the surface we soon had the gaff in and high fives were exchanged between the boys.

post-6936-061269100 1341109082_thumb.jpg

Finally after a lot of patience Garry got his chance and his fish was a little bigger than the others and with a lot of line out proved quite a handfull, it wanted to go high and low doing circles but we soon had the gaff in and another aboard. All up it took an hour and 5 minutes to get them all in - great work and a fantastic effort by the anglers showing a lot of patience and respect for each others fish. There was plenty of dancing going on early to avoid bust offs.

The boys took the 2 smaller fish home and went 58kg & 67kg respectively, this fish would have pushed 75+kg

post-6936-074904800 1341109069_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately we had a engine issue just outside the heads and couldn't fix it in time for this morning and had to cancel todays charter... sorry boys. But on the upside we found the fuel blockage and just have to do some more work tomorrow and Reef Magic will be business as usual.

Cheers

Damo

well boys never seen anything like it and probably never will again.

great day out ,damo & mike as always fished hard all day for a big

reward .be it marlin or tuna these boys get results !!

thanks

munnsy ; dont forget the disc damo gotta frame those pics !!!

Just got to say Damo and REEF MAGIC sound like top people listen to them on ch21 sat and they talked to anyone who asked where the fish were or how they were going.Thanks guys will try and get a crew to come out with you

Hey Damo,

Congratulations to the Reef Magic Crew on producing the goods on what seemed like a fairly difficult couple of days game fishing. Looks like those Scent Blazer Teasers sure work, out of interest how many were you running and how?

Can't wait to get out there, well that is if this weather lets us.

Tight Lines,

SBC

Well done Mike and Damo...I wish we had the 30th and not the 29th but in saying that I was a good day out with Magic Reef :thumbup: Hope they hang around and will see you again on the 13th.

Id love to see a pic of the lure that caught one of them fish.

Great fish & well done guys :thumbup:

Gday scaffsta... here is a picture of the scentblazer teaser we were running. You can see where they took all the paint off the middle one... the others had damage but not as bad. I'm surprised they didn't actually break them so they are pretty tough. We were only running one teaser filled with pillies and had a hookless lure behind it to make it run better.

post-6936-009056700 1341198403_thumb.jpg

We were running 1 bibless minnow, 1 x medium lumo sprocket, 1 x Moldcraft soft machine behind our home made daisy chain of squid, 1 x black bart "hot breakfast" in pink & black & 1 x Moldcraft standard hooker in "red bailey" behind a daisy chain of pink birds.

Cheers

Damo

Silly question but what do you do with them after they are caught??

They would struggle to fit in the boot of my VT Commodore and I would be eating them for the next 6 months!

All fish were bled, ike spiked, gutted & gilled and cooled with wet towels. Two of the fish were taken home whole & one was filleted for the guys to take home to share with friends. Each fish has about 20kg of waste. Garry was nice enough to give a piece to Mike & myself. It was bloddy delicious & the boys gave Garry's frame & head to some people fishing on the wharf.

Cheers

Damo