Sydney Harbour Salmon

As some of you may know, I have become quite obsessed with catching salmon on fly this season, determined to break my count of two from last year. After 2 outings during the last few weeks and not even spotting one, Blueocd and myself headed out for a quick fish today and as luck would have it, the salmon were there, albeit, only for a short while. We first went looking around the heads as there was little swell, trolled around there with a maniac and landed a slimey, then George and I tried chucking plastics and he scored a Sargent Baker and rock cod (?). No salmon to be seen, so we headed in to Balmoral and I landed a nice bream on a wriggler, which just went legal. On our way back home we spotted a serious bust up in one of the bays and as we were getting closer we could see that it was no tailor bust up, but salmon. They had bailed up a school of baitfish against a rock wall and when within range we started casting. Almost immediately I was onto a nice salmon that measured 55 cms, it was a great fight on the 7 wt and the fish jumped twice out of the water trying to throw the hook. There's nothing like a screaming reel and the salmon sure put up a dogged fight, once landed I was a happy lad! Had a few hook ups after that and one that threw the hook, George hooked a big one that put a serious bend in his rod then the line broke, dont worry, we'll get him next time George. After about 15 minutes of frantic casting, the school seemed to go down, then turn up 100 metres away. We followed them a couple of times then ending up just staying put in one spot as they seemed to be working a beat. They sooned disappeared though, but we mangaged a few slimeys on fly, they seemed to have moved in and going for the bait, what happened to the salmon?? Anyhow, it was a great way to end the session. I'm as happy as. Thanks for the company George, it was fun as always.

Edited by Narralakes

Guest bluecod

Thanks for the day out - good company, great day on the water - certainly not the rainy and 14 degrees as forecast :badair:

That sambo certainly gave you a work out on the 7 wht and I don't think I've seen a more lit up fisherman when it took the fly, except for your hootin and hollerin when it was in the bag. :thumbup:

I've two things to do - catch that sambo with my fly in its gob and, learn how to tie knots properly :thumbdown:

Guest bluecod
Looking up for the social eh George? :biggrin2:

57280[/snapback]

Well, let's just say that sambos aren't as mythical as chrome bumper bars !

Gongrat on catching sambos on fly gents.

I cant wait to get some action on fly myself.

What line and what patten did you guys use? 

Hazza

57280[/snapback]

Hazza - Ken was using a WF7I and a hometied #1 clouser and I was using an WF8F with a brown and white #2 hometied silicone minnow.

Mario,

the bait fish were only about 4 - 5 cms long, whitebait.

Trev, Mark, Joe,

thanks heaps, I'm still smiling. Mark, they are only there in patches, and its only by stumbling across them did we manage to see them at all, but hopefully they will be more abundant soon.

cheers

Guest Jocool

You guys have got me all revved up to take my wand onto the Harbour for the Sambo day! :1naughty:

Ken....quick question....

I'm not using a tapered leader. I was told to just use a length of 20 LB Flouro rather than tie up a leader. Does that sound right??? :( I know it will limit how I roll the cast, and lay out the line, but I don't think it will be a huge issue. :wacko::wacko:

Guest bluecod
You guys have got me all revved up to take my wand onto the Harbour for the Sambo day! :1naughty:

Ken....quick question....

I'm not using a tapered leader. I was told to just use a length of 20 LB Flouro rather than tie up a leader. Does that sound right???  :( I know it will limit how I roll the cast, and lay out the line, but I don't think it will be a huge issue.  :wacko:  :wacko:

57330[/snapback]

Joe, I've not been happy with running a straight leader, so for sambos I've reverted to using a leader made up of 5 ft of 20 and then 5 ft of 12 - it made a hell of a difference to the cast - for more timid fish like bream I would go 3ft of 20, 3ft of 12 and 3ft of 6 [how long does it take to tie a couple of knots??]

Guest Jocool
[how long does it take to tie a couple of knots??]

57339[/snapback]

Dont ask George!!! :badair: Took me nearly half an hour today, to try and get an Allbright to hold my Seagaur 4 LB flouro to a doubel in my braid! :thumbdown: And I still couldnt get it! I did it fine with some Siglon! :wacko:

Any one else use Seagaur and has the same prob???

Edited by Jocool

I haven't bothered with a tapered leader on Tailor, have even used a foot of wire on the end of the mono at times. Have a stack of tapered leaders left over from my Trout days, so I use them if I want some finesse!

Guest bluecod
I haven't bothered with a tapered leader on Tailor, have even used a foot of wire on the end of the mono at times. Have a stack of tapered leaders left over from my Trout days, so I use them if I want some finesse!

57347[/snapback]

Finesse ???

Obviously you've forgotten about Jocool's or, particularly, my casting abilities! :074::074::074:

Joe, just tie them out of mono - I can't see a salmon rejecting a fly because it wasn't tied on fluorocarbon.

Probably the only thing you'd need to watch out for is wind knots lessening the breaking strain of the mono.

Guest Jocool

George, I used Flouro as it was what I had...plus it sinks..And I thought that would be an advantage.

Guest bluecod

A sinking fly could well be an advantage Joe, but we found that yesterday it made no difference - Ken hooked up at a time when neither of us was watching the fly however from the adrenalin fuelled stripping I would suggest that the fly was no more than 2 inches below the surface, whereas with my hit, Ken eyeballed the salmon open its gob and suck the fly in - again right on the surface.

I'll tie you up a couple of whitebait imitations that are guaranteed to sink a mono leader. The other trick is to wipe your mono leader with a tiny bit of soap - it breaks the surface tension and the mono sinks quite easily.

Guest bluecod
All this talk is making the wait for the new boat unbearable, AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

57354[/snapback]

They do take a long time - you sit there and think of what modifications your'e going to make to "personlise" your boat - then of the fish you're going to catch out of it - where you'll take it - who'll fish out of it - and etc etc, but in the end its all worth the wait :1clap::1clap::1clap:

Some good info there George.

As for the leader Joe, I havnt used a tapered leader for ages, especially for saltwater fishing. Straight through fluro is all that is needed I reckon, for salmon I use the 17lb Vanish, it is invisible in the water and rolls out well. I use the 6 lb when bass fishing. But for salt, no finesse is needed as the salmon think any splashing from a crash landing, like my rough casts, are fleeing bait fish, same goes for the bass in fresh. I think tapered leaders are good for trout, but you can still get a nice tight loop and a lightly landed fly with a straight through leader. Using a tapered leader or straight through, in my opinion, doesnt make a difference when roll casting and when out in the harbour you'll probably seldom use a roll cast. As mentioned, laying out the line the straight through leader will just land a touch heavier, tapered leaders will give you more of a floating decent onto the water. To each their own, try both and see what you prefer. Besides, when using loop knots when tying on flies and constantly changing flies, a tapered leader can be cut short very quickly.

Guest bluecod
Some good info there George.

the salmon think any splashing from a crash landing, like my rough casts, are fleeing bait fish, ................... a tapered leader can be cut short very quickly.

57362[/snapback]

Knock it off Ken - there's nothing wrong with your casting - every now and again you may have a roughy, but overall the quality is consistently high.

I was finding with the straight through leader the fly would either often land short of the end of the fly line proper or lie in a heap with the rest of the leader, hence the wind knots, with the two part leader there was enough stiffness in the heavier section to let the lighter section "roll out" with the fly, but as you say "to each their own".

I will agree, at the price charged for tapered leaders, I won't be buying any more for saltwater use as, even if your casts are as bad as mine, the cost of a bit of leader lost due to wind knots is nothing compared to a tapered job.

Guest bluecod
I'll tie you up a couple of whitebait imitations that are guaranteed to sink a mono leader.

57352[/snapback]

Joecool,

Flies are tied and ready for a workout - PM me your postal address and I'll get them over to you before the social day for you to try out before then.