Sydney Squid and Browns Bottom

Luringbream

Hi all,

A weeks ago, we managed to fit in another quick session for squid on Sydney harbour before we headed out in search of some blue eye cod and some early season fin’. The squid were biting as usual, in the usual haunts and a few small cuttlefish came to the party also. It was most interesting to see several times that whilst I was retrieving one squid, another squid would latch onto the jig in an attempt to snatch a feed. I’ve only ever witnessed this on the Yamashita Egi O jigs with the warm jackets. Quite possibly could have something to do with the ‘warm jackets'!

post-331-047192700 1341533799_thumb.jpg

After we got a quick few, we headed to the mountain. The plan for fin was dropped when we were welcomed with a double hookup of blue eye to 12kg on the first drop. We used fresh bonito strips (four baits per fish). Ended up bagging out on ooglies (blue eye 4, 4 gemmies and 2 alfonsino) and decided to come in and give the snapper a go. Nothing special on the snapper front, landing 5 legals between 30-38cm and a salmon on the bottom in 38m of water. There were too many throw backs in the mix, but no jackets around which is a great thing!

Hi all,

A weeks ago, we managed to fit in another quick session for squid on Sydney harbour before we headed out in search of some blue eye cod and some early season fin’. The squid were biting as usual, in the usual haunts and a few small cuttlefish came to the party also. It was most interesting to see several times that whilst I was retrieving one squid, another squid would latch onto the jig in an attempt to snatch a feed. I’ve only ever witnessed this on the Yamashita Egi O jigs with the warm jackets. Quite possibly could have something to do with the ‘warm jackets'!

post-331-047192700 1341533799_thumb.jpg

After we got a quick few, we headed to the mountain. The plan for fin was dropped when we were welcomed with a double hookup of blue eye to 12kg on the first drop. We used fresh bonito strips (four baits per fish). Ended up bagging out on ooglies (blue eye 4, 4 gemmies and 2 alfonsino) and decided to come in and give the snapper a go. Nothing special on the snapper front, landing 5 legals between 30-38cm and a salmon on the bottom in 38m of water. There were too many throw backs in the mix, but no jackets around which is a great thing!

THAT'S EPIC!! :thumbup:

Thanks guys, no secrets, all squid were taken on silver based and gold based Yamashita Egi O Live Series jigs, they have improved my catch rate immensely! There's plenty of squid to be had out there! Grab some jigs and get stuck into them.

After landing a gemfish with several tentacle sucker marks on its head only last week, i'm curious to see what will happen if i drop a squid jig down at browns!! :1yikes:

Anyone tried?

Gotta love those Yamashita warm jackets. They have to be my favourite jigs at the moment. The only problem is that they get smashed up and torn up after every session because they catch so much bloody squid :thumbup:

Gotta love those Yamashita warm jackets. They have to be my favourite jigs at the moment. The only problem is that they get smashed up and torn up after every session because they catch so much bloody squid :thumbup:

Problem I could easily live with.

Hey guys, how does the warm Jacket work? Does it store a small amount of heat? How do you heat the jacket up?

Great catch by the way! If only i could get into the squid like that. Pittwater has been pretty slow of late?

Mushtaka

Thanks guys, no secrets, all squid were taken on silver based and gold based Yamashita Egi O Live Series jigs, they have improved my catch rate immensely! There's plenty of squid to be had out there! Grab some jigs and get stuck into them.

After landing a gemfish with several tentacle sucker marks on its head only last week, i'm curious to see what will happen if i drop a squid jig down at browns!! :1yikes:

Anyone tried?

No secrets? Id love to know your spot that was full of those squid! Id even keep your secret you can pm me the details if you dont want it to go public. I know im being a bit cheeky however iv never done well when searching for them i have the good jap jigs i just dont know where they are.

Cheers.

Out of all these squid, we didn't get one tear in the cloth. There was a small mark when the cuttles had a go at one of the jig but thats about it.

Hey guys, how does the warm Jacket work? Does it store a small amount of heat? How do you heat the jacket up?

Great catch by the way! If only i could get into the squid like that. Pittwater has been pretty slow of late?

Mushtaka

The cloth absorbs light from any source and changes it into thermo energy about 0.5 degree celsius to 1 degree celsius warmer in the water. It is exactly what is required for the cold winter water temps.

No secrets? Id love to know your spot that was full of those squid! Id even keep your secret you can pm me the details if you dont want it to go public. I know im being a bit cheeky however iv never done well when searching for them i have the good jap jigs i just dont know where they are.

Cheers.

Hi mate, we probably only got 4-5 from each spot before moving on. There is no one spot, just keep hopping along until you find them. If they are there, it wont take them long to sense the warm jackets.