What is the No.1 bait for catching bream

flattiefisher27

Tony Tony Tony the guy is asking for opinion so i gave mine you haven't mine are based on over 35 years of fishing experiences you say ive never fished winter well i have but bream is a summer species and slow up in winter every bait works different to others in certain conditions and areas but i tried to keep it simple not to confuse people and try and make it rocket science when its not i sense you're a little confused . cheers Jim bream

Hey Jimmy,

I haven't been out in a month.

My brain must be going offline or something.

So I apologise if I touched a raw nerve.

But fishing IS rocket science. That's the point.

Confusion will always happen, so when it does and people ask questions, it's important that they get answers from all angles, both simple and complex.

They can then choose what bits of info they want to use and what to reject.

I gave him my opinion as to strategy of what to do with the list of baits.

Your list is well researched over many years of application so I'm sure it will be well received.

Ultimately the decision of what baits to try, where and when is up to them.

I try to set some realistic expectations when I pass on information.

I would hate to see fishos disillusioned when they come home with very little and yet they believe they have done everything right.

They need to be aware that fishing is an inexact science.

Baits are but one of many variables.

Some variables I bet we have yet to discover.

if your chasing BIG bream use BIG fresh baits, fish fillets like pike, tailor, bonito and mullet are hard to beat. Big baits gives the bigger fish time to find them and often steal them away from little fish.

Most peoples PB bream are when fishing for jew with very big baits.

Here are my true thoughts.

The way to catch the biggest, meanest bream in any system is to target them, know what they are feeding on, where, when & why they are feeding, & match the hatch.

That's why there are so many bream tournies using lure only, ( softies, h/bods & blades ), where MANY cracking fish are caught ALL YEAR ROUND.

Sorry guys, but when I fish with people that really know how to catch big bream, the old school methods are left way behind in terms of quality & numbers.

It's all about perception.

Cheers,

Grant.

1. Burley with chicken pellets

2. Chicken unweighted on 6lb FC

3. Hang on

Seriously since I changed to chicken 'float' baits I have tripled my catch. In saying that I still fish the right tide for the location.

Eg. Rising tide anywhere near barnacles or fallen trees preferably on a deep bank.

Good luck!

Oh and I find chicken thigh holds the hook much better and cheaper too. It let's them nibble without falling off. My mates dad owns a chicken farm we have tried every bit, the guts work well too as long as they are nice and smelly. Adding parmasen has not improved our catch rate either.

Hope this helps

Here are my true thoughts.

The way to catch the biggest, meanest bream in any system is to target them, know what they are feeding on, where, when & why they are feeding, & match the hatch.

That's why there are so many bream tournies using lure only, ( softies, h/bods & blades ), where MANY cracking fish are caught ALL YEAR ROUND.

Sorry guys, but when I fish with people that really know how to catch big bream, the old school methods are left way behind in terms of quality & numbers.

It's all about perception.

Cheers,

Grant.

Agreed those guys do well. But if you had 70 boats of fisherman who spent lots of time chasing bream in specific systems and they used baits they would do as well if not better in plenty of situations.

At the end of the day they are scavengers that would eat virtually anything so finding the right location and time the fish are there is 90% of the battle, if you dont know that the easy method is to berley or use baits that are oily and will draw them in.

My biggest bream have been caught on lures but if i was under the gun and had to produce big bream i would choose baits.

At the end of the day they are scavengers that would eat virtually anything

or use baits that are oily and will draw them in.

i dropped a monster last night on 1 month old skirt steak pre-marinated in tuna oil...

it holds the hook well and the little tackers can have a pick whilst the big one zones in for the steal!

i dont think steak has been mentioned in this thread yet?

one fishes - how do you put the crab on the hook?

Hey Jimmy,

I haven't been out in a month.

My brain must be going offline or something.

So I apologise if I touched a raw nerve.

But fishing IS rocket science. That's the point.

Confusion will always happen, so when it does and people ask questions, it's important that they get answers from all angles, both simple and complex.

They can then choose what bits of info they want to use and what to reject.

I gave him my opinion as to strategy of what to do with the list of baits.

Your list is well researched over many years of application so I'm sure it will be well received.

Ultimately the decision of what baits to try, where and when is up to them.

I try to set some realistic expectations when I pass on information.

I would hate to see fishos disillusioned when they come home with very little and yet they believe they have done everything right.

They need to be aware that fishing is an inexact science.

Baits are but one of many variables.

Some variables I bet we have yet to discover.

Tony no need to apologize you hit no nerve trust me you still haven't given you number one bait the servo prawn has already mentioned so you have to pick something else come on. one other thing you need to read the posts not count the number of bream caught you mentioned burly and the decision might be altered by the bream not if you're using 3 baits go back and read some of my posts i write on experiencing things and share with every body i get pm all the time and will help anyone who asks for help . cheers Jim bream

OK - here is my perspective - be it simple or complex - you decide.

I always take burley with me but don't always use it. Depends on the spot and moonphase / current strength.

When the moon is full or new, the tidal run will be greater than the first quarter or last quarter, but check to see which of the two tide cycles for the day is stronger.

Fish the strongest of the two if you can when fishing the bay. Fish the lightest when fishing the river, but I concentrate on the bay bcos I just plain like fishing it.

Why do we fish the strongest tide cycle for the day in the bay ?

Because that's when fish move and the burley trail in the bay will likely be most effective.

Fish move with the tide (minimises energy usage) so the fish will more likely respond to the burley when moving and looking.

When fishing a burley trail, pilchard pieces are the gun bait, but remember, you will not catch whiting, which is a big problem for me, so I also use worms (and sometimes nippers in the deeper water).

When I'm fishing areas where the current isn't significant (and as a result burley would be of little use), I just cast baits around me. These are pilchard pieces, worms and chook.

See which bait works on the day.

BUT ......

Before I go fishing, I plan my itinerary.

Ie, at 6:30, goto spot 1 - baits are a, b and c.

at 7:30, goto spot B and fish the tide change, baits are d, e and f - use burley

At 9:00, if no good at spot B, go to C and use baits a, c and f

At 9:45 if no good .....etc, etc.

The strategy far outweighs the baits.

The strategy takes into account many variables.

So long as the bait is fresh, you're in with a good chance, but I would rather use a pilchard piece in a burley trail than a worm....

Why ? because there is fish oil in the trail and the fish are instinctively tuned in to fish flesh baits.

I'm sure you will still catch bream on worm in the trail but the pillie will outfish the worm 5 to 1 IN THAT SITUATION.

See what I mean ?

The scenario needs to be looked at holistically and approached with a specific strategy in mind....

Then, as murphy's law has it, I'll come home with a modest catch and the guy at the boat ramp with old servo prawns is cleaning a pile of fish !

So much for my theories, eh Jimmy.....:1prop:

Tony

here's my two bobs worth.

In my experience the small live crabs beat everything else!

Yabbies are always good but everything eats them so the chances of a decent Bream eating the one on your line ahead of all the pickers is often slim.

Last time I went to Yamba a kid at the wharf had caught a garfish about a foot long. An old bloke appeared and advised him to "chuck it out whole with a bigger hook in it and you'll catch one of those big bream hanging around".

The kid took his advise and within about a minute had a bream of at least a kilo on the end of his line. I grabbed my net to help him land it not realising that his mates had come running over and had trampled my 3 kilo high modulas spin rod to pieces! :thumbup::ranting2:

Hope you catch some of those thumpers.

Reeltired

G'day again.

Best if it can stay alive.

I usually thread the hook lightly through one of the back leg sockets and out again a few millimetres away without causing too much damage but not so lightly that the bait flies off too easily when you cast.

If you put the hook through the middle of the crab it will die quickly or maybe straight away. it seems to attract more interest if it is still crawling around.

You might also want to check out the laws on collecting crabs in certain areas. Definitely illegal in Sydney Harbour and Parramatta River.

You might also be careful wher you store them overnight. As a teenager I stored them in my bedroom and one night they escaped. For weeks I was hearing creepy crawlies in the room and having nightmares about being eaten by swarms of crabs. :074:

Reeltired

The number 1 best bait of all would be live prawns - I don't reckon there's a bream in its right mind that would pass up a live prawn.

They're not easy to get though . . .

Anyway as others have said it depends a lot on where you're fishing. For example when fishing Brisbane Waters for bream amongst the weed beds (as I often do) you'd be mad to use a live prawn (or a live anything) as the prawn would hide and the bream would never find it. In the weeds I use cooked vanami prawns from the supermarket - bright and smelly and easy for the big bream to find as they nose through the weeds. I reckon the parmesan and garlic chicken strips would fish equally well in those conditions.

But if you're fishing open water with a sand bottom a different approach is obviously required - and that's when a live bait will be dynamite. Prawn, crab, worm, nipper, cockle - I really don't think it matters. Fresh bait comes in second.

Edited by Mondo

<br />if your chasing BIG bream use BIG fresh baits, fish fillets like pike, tailor, bonito and mullet are hard to beat. Big baits gives the bigger fish time to find them and often steal them away from little fish.<br />

Most peoples PB bream are when fishing for jew with very big baits.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

Thats for shore

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

OK - here is my perspective - be it simple or complex - you decide.

I always take burley with me but don't always use it. Depends on the spot and moonphase / current strength.

When the moon is full or new, the tidal run will be greater than the first quarter or last quarter, but check to see which of the two tide cycles for the day is stronger.

Fish the strongest of the two if you can when fishing the bay. Fish the lightest when fishing the river, but I concentrate on the bay bcos I just plain like fishing it.

Why do we fish the strongest tide cycle for the day in the bay ?

Because that's when fish move and the burley trail in the bay will likely be most effective.

Fish move with the tide (minimises energy usage) so the fish will more likely respond to the burley when moving and looking.

When fishing a burley trail, pilchard pieces are the gun bait, but remember, you will not catch whiting, which is a big problem for me, so I also use worms (and sometimes nippers in the deeper water).

When I'm fishing areas where the current isn't significant (and as a result burley would be of little use), I just cast baits around me. These are pilchard pieces, worms and chook.

See which bait works on the day.

BUT ......

Before I go fishing, I plan my itinerary.

Ie, at 6:30, goto spot 1 - baits are a, b and c.

at 7:30, goto spot B and fish the tide change, baits are d, e and f - use burley

At 9:00, if no good at spot B, go to C and use baits a, c and f

At 9:45 if no good .....etc, etc.

The strategy far outweighs the baits.

The strategy takes into account many variables.

So long as the bait is fresh, you're in with a good chance, but I would rather use a pilchard piece in a burley trail than a worm....

Why ? because there is fish oil in the trail and the fish are instinctively tuned in to fish flesh baits.

I'm sure you will still catch bream on worm in the trail but the pillie will outfish the worm 5 to 1 IN THAT SITUATION.

See what I mean ?

The scenario needs to be looked at holistically and approached with a specific strategy in mind....

Then, as murphy's law has it, I'll come home with a modest catch and the guy at the boat ramp with old servo prawns is cleaning a pile of fish !

So much for my theories, eh Jimmy.....:1prop:

Tony

Tony in my experiences pilchard is a total waste of time and money tried tested over the years this bait fail in every area blood worm will out fish it in any system or condition everything takes blood worm i have caught jew fish snapper trevelly whiting leather jackets etc you name it they love it second to live prawn if you feel that pilchard is 5 to 1 lets put it to the test we will fish same day same time and lets see what happens . cheers Jim bream

Everyone has different experiences and each area fishes differently. I've found pilchards dont do much on the Central Coast but down in Narooma inlet I catch flatties, bream, trevally, flounder, snapper, jewfish, tailor, salmon all on pilchards. I'm not sure if ones better than the other but pillies are def not a waste if time.

An old bream hunter up here (sadly, now deceased) reckons his most lethal bait was the fillets from garfish - unweighted & drifted down with the current.

That is a great article, Jim - lots of tips there for baities as well as those who fish with lures.

Roberta

Hey Jimmy,

The bream catch rate of 5;1 when baiting with pilchard is true in my experience when:

1. Youre fishing an area that has enough current to make a burley trail effective

2. You're burleying with pilchards or a fish oil additive into the mix

3. You're using the right weight of sinker (or none) and fishing the bait in the trail, at midwater or deeper

4. You're fishing the cooler months

If you're not fishing a burley trail, I agree I like worms and chook.

If fishing the warmer months and the water is 22 deg or highrer, I go searching spots that generally don't have a lot of current running and so I don't burley..

Interesting post though that was started here.

Gives us something to read and chat about while we are not fishing...

I couldn't see the article you were reading Jimmy.

I ain't a paid subscriber, but in any case I avoid the big bream.

I still would have liked to read it.

Mate I HAVE to get out there next weekend...

Hopefully there won't be any frozen donuts awaiting me....

...or bags of stingrays, banjos, catfish or cormorants....

Tony

Edited by Keflapod