What is the No.1 bait for catching bream

flattiefisher27

Caught them on, bread, maggots, pillies, prawns, live prawns, nippers, worms, pineapple of a hamburger, pastry, red snake, chicken, chicken garlic, chicken parmessan, popcorn, soaked twistie.         Used to get 80ton of bream a year when we were allowed to trap in the harbour. Considering we arnt allowed to trap how many ton would be swimming around the joint?              

The bream at birchgrove are in plague proportions and there are kilo fish plus amongst them as we feed em nearly everyday.

Edited by finin

18 hours ago, Burger said:

I get more jealous of you every day JonD  . . .    ;):D

My daughter though it was a carp at first!!!!

_MG_2649_zps90851efd.jpg

She also lost a really big flathead on a small pieces of prawn too, her second best wasn't to bad though!!

img_8660_1_zps9c21a1a9.jpg

Edited by JonD

Yep I think this thread proves my point that there just isn't one specific #1 bait for bream.

There are a few that always produce but which is best depends on situations.

My top baits in no particular order(although I'm a lure and fly only fisho these days) are; 

* frigate mackerel (leddies)

* live shrimp

* live nippers

* maggots

* mullet (stays on for ages and I've caught plenty on just the skin) 

*white bread and dog biscuits (the smaller and more square profiles are best) - same technique as used by the Europeans for carp...

All the baits mentioned will work great too

Edited by Adsy91
Left something out

wow so many answers  me thinks depends where you are fishing..i catch most of my bream in lake mac on floating bread..my spot for bigguns I use mullet strips or pillie..my fave rock spot crabs..beach I use worms  caught on site..everybody has a fave...sometimes its whatever you chuck in their face lol...rick

I was in the water yesterday afternoon with my daughter who was doing a survey, the current was running to hard for a slow old bugger like myself so I decided I would just kick back and watch bream behaviour.

I had 6 slimy mackerel that I broke into pieces for them. It took a while for the bream to realise I wasn't a threat before they got quite frenzied up racing for the bait.

After their initial attacks other smaller fish became attracted, things like stripys, sweep, and leatherjackets swarmed in taking over from the bream. At no point would a bream come in close once the small fish were feeding, in fact they seemed to become very timid which got me thinking how burley may attract so many of these little fish it might make catching bream a little tricky.

I often use burley but if I was to target bream next time I think I would be putting my bream bait at least a few metres from the burley.

GOPR1011_zpsf4rwyctv.jpg

Leather jackets were by far the most aggressive, grabbing bait then swimming backwards and occasionly charging any fish that gets to close.

GOPR1012-3_zps0yep53ba.jpg

You can see the bream holding back.

GOPR1012-6_zpswo6frcmg.jpg

As soon as the leather jacket moves off the bream move closer.

GOPR1012-10_zpsph8ls33z.jpg

GOPR1012-9_zpsdqezgaw7.jpg

57 minutes ago, JonD said:

I was in the water yesterday afternoon with my daughter who was doing a survey, the current was running to hard for a slow old bugger like myself so I decided I would just kick back and watch bream behaviour.

I had 6 slimy mackerel that I broke into pieces for them. It took a while for the bream to realise I wasn't a threat before they got quite frenzied up racing for the bait.

After their initial attacks other smaller fish became attracted, things like stripys, sweep, and leatherjackets swarmed in taking over from the bream. At no point would a bream come in close once the small fish were feeding, in fact they seemed to become very timid which got me thinking how burley may attract so many of these little fish it might make catching bream a little tricky.

I often use burley but if I was to target bream next time I think I would be putting my bream bait at least a few metres from the burley.

GOPR1011_zpsf4rwyctv.jpg

Leather jackets were by far the most aggressive, grabbing bait then swimming backwards and occasionly charging any fish that gets to close.

GOPR1012-3_zps0yep53ba.jpg

You can see the bream holding back.

GOPR1012-6_zpswo6frcmg.jpg

As soon as the leather jacket moves off the bream move closer.

GOPR1012-10_zpsph8ls33z.jpg

GOPR1012-9_zpsdqezgaw7.jpg

Wow, that is awesome insight. Might vary by location, but I have heard things like "don't use any burly in this spot or it will bring the leatherjackets in" and this observation would seem to bear that out. I.e. If a particular location is likely to hold LJs maybe try without burly first. If you have burlyed and you are catching lots of LJ maybe worth moving or stopping the burly and pull the baits for 10 mins...

10 hours ago, JonD said:

My daughter though it was a carp at first!!!!

She also lost a really big flathead on a small pieces of prawn too, her second best wasn't to bad though!!

That's REALLY not helping . . . . :o ;) :D

On 7/7/2012 at 0:25 PM, Benji-martin said:

Mate it all depends on where you are fishing like when I'm at Forster I find hot chip is the best, either floating on the surface or sinking slowly the bream love it and they are big bream as well. If in the parra river I find yellowtail fillets are the best. I've lost count on how many big bream I have caught chasing jew with yellowtail fillets.

Martin

Ha, surely that approach is going to get you more sea gulls than bream 

• Haha 1