What is the No.1 bait for catching bream

flattiefisher27

• 1 year later...

Alright this is completely based on location. Here are my favourite for each place. Places like Sydney harbour are good when you use pilchards, my pb bream at 45cm was on a full pilchard. At boat ramps prawns are great, throw some out and then chuck yours in there. When you are on the flats yabbies are great, keep the nipper on there to try and scare off little pickers. When fishing rockwalls yabbies are my go to bait. When you fish from your boat in deeper water I find chicken to be the best. If you can't get fresh bait just use prawns. One thing that I found interesting was I was fishing some shallow water with bread for mullet when a 35cm bream came up and ate by bread. Don't worry if you don't have fresh bait everything works ok.

Interesting read, the bream bait debate, I'm very surprised after reading all the posts that nobody has mentioned red crabs. When fishing the ocean rocks around Sydney red crabs are great bait for the really big fish.( I won't say anything is "best" because we all know bream eat just about anything) They are the the reddy-brown spikey variety that are often seen on the pylons of wharves in the harbour and live below the waterline on ocean rock platforms.(They are also the number one bait for big groper) Collecting them on the ocean ledges is not for the faint hearted as you plunge BOTH hands down a crack in amongst the red/brown weed,moving your hands along the crack wall until you feel the crabs and then either grab them off the wall or if there's heaps in there, bring both your hands together and swiftly lift out a "ball" of them. The crabs that bite-"scutleys,tanks,purples and scotchies" all run away leaving the reddies that cling instead of running. Reddies also have weak soft claws and don't hurt that much when they grab you. ALL the 'running crabs' hurt like mad but the 'system' works and you won't get nipped! It took me ages to get up the nerve but I'm ok with doing it now! You cut all the legs off the body,lift off the top shell from  back to front and cut in half 1 leg threaded on then through the leg-socket holes of the halved (or quarters if really large) If you're worried about blue-ringed occies,they aren't there if the crabs are- same with green morays!  Thick gloves would work also.Hook used is Mustad 92554 suicide in size 2/0,  Give them a try,you won't be disappointed and they catch the big bream in daylight hours as well as night

we get a lot of our bream on strips of mullet..strips of striped tuna..or slimy fillet....the large banana prawns work as well..but...different locations call for different baits....if I was up the coast in creks n rivers I would rely on nippers...off the beach worms are best....there is no number one bait for them because they live in so many environments feeding on so many differing sources of food...this one took mullet fillet..rick20160529_200511.thumb.jpg.ab3e7d64fb4b7c05fccea623bbcbd650.jpg

• Like 1

When I was a young kid, we used to holiday at Bribie Island, so thats going back 50 years for me, during the day me and the old man used to fish for winter whiting, the old man would mince up the whiting and make fish cakes, but keep the heads as bream bait when he went fishing at night, don't have any photos but he used to bring home some absolute horses, so now this post has reminded me of that I am going to keep my whiting heads this winter and use them as bream bait.

Back up bait was always salted down mullet gut with the onion on, good stuff!!

MSB

11 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Interesting read, the bream bait debate, I'm very surprised after reading all the posts that nobody has mentioned red crabs. When fishing the ocean rocks around Sydney red crabs are great bait for the really big fish.( I won't say anything is "best" because we all know bream eat just about anything) They are the the reddy-brown spikey variety that are often seen on the pylons of wharves in the harbour and live below the waterline on ocean rock platforms.(They are also the number one bait for big groper) Collecting them on the ocean ledges is not for the faint hearted as you plunge BOTH hands down a crack in amongst the red/brown weed,moving your hands along the crack wall until you feel the crabs and then either grab them off the wall or if there's heaps in there, bring both your hands together and swiftly lift out a "ball" of them. The crabs that bite-"scutleys,tanks,purples and scotchies" all run away leaving the reddies that cling instead of running. Reddies also have weak soft claws and don't hurt that much when they grab you. ALL the 'running crabs' hurt like mad but the 'system' works and you won't get nipped! It took me ages to get up the nerve but I'm ok with doing it now! You cut all the legs off the body,lift off the top shell from  back to front and cut in half 1 leg threaded on then through the leg-socket holes of the halved (or quarters if really large) If you're worried about blue-ringed occies,they aren't there if the crabs are- same with green morays!  Thick gloves would work also.Hook used is Mustad 92554 suicide in size 2/0,  Give them a try,you won't be disappointed and they catch the big bream in daylight hours as well as night

crabs have being mentioned early in the post