Mixed Bag at Roseville - 10/7/12

rjc123

Hey raiders,

had a few hours to kill today so why not head down for a quick fish. Armed with prawns i headed down to a favourite spot at Roseville. Over the next 2 hours i would have landed around 20 fish. Around half the catch was legal being trevally (biggest 36cm) and bream (29cm). The trevally go nicely on the light gear and the bream weren't too bad either. All fish were taken on unweighted prawns fished hard up against the pontoon. The problem was that you get dusted by the bigger bream and trevally... Busted off 3 times today... All in all a productive little session with a nice feed! Kept one 28cm Bream and 2 trevally (34cm and 36cm). I decided to whack the fillets of the trevally as i haven't eaten them before. Any tips on how to cook the fillets up? By the way, 1 lane of the boat ramp is meant to be open tomorrow. Looks possible...

post-14949-034332500 1341907522_thumb.png

Cheers, Tom

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good work mate gotta love them trevs on light line also no what you mean about getting dusted. As for cooking them just dust in flour salt and pepper and fry in butter with a bit of oil in there to stop the butter burning

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

What time did you head out??

I wen for a session today and bagged 0

Looks like you had fun.

Are you sure we're talking about the same place? Roseville in Middle Harbour?

Good work mate gotta love them trevs on light line also no what you mean about getting dusted. As for cooking them just dust in flour salt and pepper and fry in butter with a bit of oil in there to stop the butter burning

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

By dusted i mean getting busted/broken off on the structure. I'll be sure to cook them up that way!

Damn man the difference a few days makes !?!?

Might head down tomorrow arvo

For the trevs, best way to cook em is chop up garlic, chilli and grate lemon rind and cover it over the fish, slice up the lemon and rest the fillet and bake in the oven with foil over the top and for the last few mins take off the foil. Usually do this with the whole fish but will def work on the fillet as well

hi mack attack

congrats on such a productive fishing session

where you fishing on the pontoon on the boat ramp at roseville

what tide was it when you where fishing

does roseville produce fish like that all the time

thanks

sam

Edited by sam bros

Damn man the difference a few days makes !?!?

Might head down tomorrow arvo

For the trevs, best way to cook em is chop up garlic, chilli and grate lemon rind and cover it over the fish, slice up the lemon and rest the fillet and bake in the oven with foil over the top and for the last few mins take off the foil. Usually do this with the whole fish but will def work on the fillet as well

Thanks mate! Crazy difference a few days makes! Sounds like a great recipe! I'll definitely try it out!

Cheers, Tom

hi mack attack

congrats on such a productive fishing session

where you fishing on the pontoon on the boat ramp at roseville

what tide was it when you where fishing

thanks

sam

Hi mate,

the pontoon is under construction so you can't fish on it. I fished the last 2 hours of the run in tide

hi mack attack

so where do you fish off?

thanks

The bank mate. All of the forstville side is going well at the moment

You are the Roseville master! Trevs sure are thick in middle harbour at the moment.

Cheers buddy! Its good to have a bit of consistency at the moment!

Edited by mack attack 79

There are some monster bream at the base of the main bridge pilon at high tide but expect to lose rigs on the barnacles. My PB went 43cm, swore it was a jew! A kayak and a hard body setup would go awesome there I reckon.

There are some monster bream at the base of the main bridge pilon at high tide but expect to lose rigs on the barnacles. My PB went 43cm, swore it was a jew! A kayak and a hard body setup would go awesome there I reckon.

Definitely mate! Especially in summer. Hopefully when i get my Pro Angler 12 i can have a crack at them! Can't wait!

Scotty and I were down the other end of Middle Harbour (Pearl Bay) from 12 til 3ish yesterday arvo.

Caught the usual small snapper and a couple of nice bream (31-34cm).

Then my little 80mm wriggler got smashed by something underneath one of the moored boats I was casting to..

Nice healthy Sambo on 6 pound gear led me on a tour of the area for a few minutes!! C&R'd in 10mins.

Like I said, Middle Harbour is a good fishy stretch of water from Roseville thru to the Spit.

Usually something firing somewhere!

All good!!

Scotty and I were down the other end of Middle Harbour (Pearl Bay) from 12 til 3ish yesterday arvo.

Caught the usual small snapper and a couple of nice bream (31-34cm).

Then my little 80mm wriggler got smashed by something underneath one of the moored boats I was casting to..

Nice healthy Sambo on 6 pound gear led me on a tour of the area for a few minutes!! C&R'd in 10mins.

Like I said, Middle Harbour is a good fishy stretch of water from Roseville thru to the Spit.

Usually something firing somewhere!

All good!!

Couldn't agree more mate! No shortage of bream and trevs at the moment! Haven't nailed a salmon here yet but hopefully it won't be too long!

My fave blurter recipe: Fillet and cut out red bloodlines from flesh. Cut flesh into match box shaped chunks about 3-4cms long. Combine breadcrumbs and thai spices of your choice (I just use either the hot, or mild Thai spice mixes in those little jars) in a plastic bag. Pour a can of coconut cream (not milk) into a bowl and dip trev chunks in coconut cream and put a few of the coated chunks at a time into the plastic bag full of Thai-spiced breadcrumbs and shake. Repeat until all the chuncks are coated. Put the chunks in a covered container for an hour in the fridge. Then fry em up. Deep frying is better but shallow fry OK too. They are done when the coating goes golden. Serve with slices of lime or lemeon. Yum!!!! Kids love em too (McBlurter nuggets!). Deep frying keeps the flesh beautiful and moist, with a crusty coating.

I've tried this on other fish and trevs just seem to compliment it perfectly.

My fave blurter recipe: Fillet and cut out red bloodlines from flesh. Cut flesh into match box shaped chunks about 3-4cms long. Combine breadcrumbs and thai spices of your choice (I just use either the hot, or mild Thai spice mixes in those little jars) in a plastic bag. Pour a can of coconut cream (not milk) into a bowl and dip trev chunks in coconut cream and put a few of the coated chunks at a time into the plastic bag full of Thai-spiced breadcrumbs and shake. Repeat until all the chuncks are coated. Put the chunks in a covered container for an hour in the fridge. Then fry em up. Deep frying is better but shallow fry OK too. They are done when the coating goes golden. Serve with slices of lime or lemeon. Yum!!!! Kids love em too (McBlurter nuggets!). Deep frying keeps the flesh beautiful and moist, with a crusty coating.

wow! :1yikes:

does this work with most firm fleshed fish?

Currently printing this one!

Hi guys. My favourite Trev recipe is to fillet and crumb the fish and cook them with a small amount of butter on the bbq hot plate. I add lemon as they cook and they are delicious! My kids love them too.....

Having a beer with them is great.

Hi guys. My favourite Trev recipe is to fillet and crumb the fish and cook them with a small amount of butter on the bbq hot plate. I add lemon as they cook and they are delicious! My kids love them too.....

That sounds good too mate!

Cheers, Tom

Hope your kids are over 18 :biggrin2:

Hiya 1829; Don't know if it goes with other firm fleshed fish. I tried it on kingie once and was disappointed, so haven't done it with other fish (though I think i overcooked the kingie, will have to give it another go).

It just seems to go really well with silver trevs _ the coconut milk is a nice alternative to the usual egg, milk etc normally used to crumb coat fish. Really simple to do, too. Use a fair whack of Thai spice in the breadcrumb mix (then again i'm a smoker so my taste buds are probably shot).