Mixed Bag at Roseville - 10/7/12

rjc123

Hiya 1829; Don't know if it goes with other firm fleshed fish. I tried it on kingie once and was disappointed, so haven't done it with other fish (though I think i overcooked the kingie, will have to give it another go).

It just seems to go really well with silver trevs _ the coconut milk is a nice alternative to the usual egg, milk etc normally used to crumb coat fish. Really simple to do, too. Use a fair whack of Thai spice in the breadcrumb mix (then again i'm a smoker so my taste buds are probably shot).

thanks for the reply - I will just have to go catch me some trevors then :)

btw - what oil do you use? peanut oil?

i love thai - i grind my own curry pastes ;)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guys,

All those recipes sound absolutely sensational! Now, If i had the fish to add to all he other goodies, I'd be in 7th heaven. Trouble is, I work from 10 - 6 at Narrabeen, traveling from Beverly Hills. A current sleep disorder (restless leg syndrome) prevents me from waking before 7.30. I'm slowly recovering with the help of healthy doses of of Valium as prescribed by my good doctor. I just have to be patient, I guess, but you guys are going to have company in the not too distant future, I'm sure.

Anyway, enough about me. Congrats on the great session. Every time I read about Roseville and it's environs, I get greener and greener with envy. It sounds much better than the Hacking, land based-wise. However, I wanna crack a few bream on surface lures on Narrabeen Lake before I hit Roseville. Call it an apprenticeship if you like. Then Middle Harbour for sure. Trevors on the barby? Yum!

Cheers,

Nursie

Mac attack.. When u say u fish off the bank, are you referring to somewhere between the bridge and boat ramp? I've been trying further along and I'm wondering if that's where I'm going wrong

Once you get past the bridge the fishing seems much quieter. With the exception of a few Jewfish holes further up. The stretch of water between bridge and the boat ramp is the go. Easy access to the channel where you'll get Whiting, Bream, Flathead, Tailor, Salmon and the odd Jewfish.

Good luck!

thanks for the reply - I will just have to go catch me some trevors then :)

btw - what oil do you use? peanut oil?

i love thai - i grind my own curry pastes ;)

Hiya I just used canola. PS meant coconut cream not milk. Mlik too runny. Reackon would be even better with your own mixed and ground thai spices!!!!

Once you get past the bridge the fishing seems much quieter. With the exception of a few Jewfish holes further up. The stretch of water between bridge and the boat ramp is the go. Easy access to the channel where you'll get Whiting, Bream, Flathead, Tailor, Salmon and the odd Jewfish.

Good luck!

Thanks heaps for that. I'll give it a crack over the weekend :)

One last question.. When you say 'unweighted prawn', does that mean with no sinker at all? I never fish without a sinker. I'd hate to think how short a distance I'd b casting :(

it is much easier in a boat, but by using light grade braided line, like 6lb or lighter, and a nice 7ft+ graphite rod - you can usually get to where the fish are holding - particualry in places like Roseville...

Thanks. I use a 7ft 2 graphite, but with 10-12lb line as that's all my rod is rated to. I've given braid a go a few times and have hated it, but might try again some time!

If you have mono then i reckon go with a little sinker just so you can get a little distance. It really is one of those on/off places though so don't be surprised if you score a donut.

Cheers, Tom

Good catch mate, next opportunity I get I may move from my usual spots in the east to check out Roseville.

My favorite trev receipie is similar to some mentioned above, but just that little bit different:

Get a snap lock bag, throw in some flour, salt, pepper, chile flakes and a teaspoon of paprika. Chuck in the fillets, give'm a good dusting and shallow pan fry them until golden brown. Squeeze lemon juice over them and tuck in, my daughter and I salivate just thinking about it.

Good catch mate, next opportunity I get I may move from my usual spots in the east to check out Roseville.

My favorite trev receipie is similar to some mentioned above, but just that little bit different:

Get a snap lock bag, throw in some flour, salt, pepper, chile flakes and a teaspoon of paprika. Chuck in the fillets, give'm a good dusting and shallow pan fry them until golden brown. Squeeze lemon juice over them and tuck in, my daughter and I salivate just thinking about it.

Cheers mate! If your going to come all that way i'd probably wait til the water warms up a bit. Too unpredictable atm.. Good spot when it fires :biggrin2:

If you have mono then i reckon go with a little sinker just so you can get a little distance. It really is one of those on/off places though so don't be surprised if you score a donut.

Cheers, Tom

Thanks Tom. I'll try a smaller sinker and see if it helps.

I might try braid again some time. Perhaps what I bought was a crap brand or something. It was just like cotton and flew around a stack in the wind so really put me off. I had no idea if I was getting bites or not as I couldn't get any tension. Is there a particular brand/type you would recommend?

Also.. If you don't use a sinker do u tie the line straight to the hook or still use a swivel? Sorry bout all the questions, I'm still learning so the more info and knowledge I can gain the better :)

I might try braid again some time. Perhaps what I bought was a crap brand or something. It was just like cotton and flew around a stack in the wind so really put me off. I had no idea if I was getting bites or not as I couldn't get any tension. Is there a particular brand/type you would recommend?

Also.. If you don't use a sinker do u tie the line straight to the hook or still use a swivel? Sorry bout all the questions, I'm still learning so the more info and knowledge I can gain the better :)

there are a few *rules* with braid, and one is that you must not tie it to the hook...

we talked about it a bit here:

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=64140

user1829 is right, when using braid you need a leader. Generally speaking a rodlength should do. I really like power-pro braid. Suits the fishing i do and has good knot strength. You can cast a hell of a lot further with braid! A swivel can be used to join braid to leader but your better off learning a few line connection knots like the albright and slim-beauty. It all takes a bit of getting used to but since i started on braid a few years back, i haven't looked back!

Thanks. You've both been really helpful. Sounds like its time to build on my one and only knot (that I learnt online when I got sick of needing my partners help every time I snagged) .. I'll grab some braid when I get a chance and give it a go

Hey mate,

Decided to hit up the bridge this arvo given your recent success. Fished under the overhead gas pipe. Flicked lightly weighed prawns near pylons and got some undersize bream and toads for a few hours. On dead high tide, things stopped biting and decided to flick a few plastics out. Got bored and decided to put a prawn on my jighead after a few minutes my drag started singing and after a fun little fight, up came my first ray!

That was as exciting as things got all day, but it was still a nice day out.

2zhqwbp.jpg

See you out on the water

Hey mate,

Decided to hit up the bridge this arvo given your recent success. Fished under the overhead gas pipe. Flicked lightly weighed prawns near pylons and got some undersize bream and toads for a few hours. On dead high tide, things stopped biting and decided to flick a few plastics out. Got bored and decided to put a prawn on my jighead after a few minutes my drag started singing and after a fun little fight, up came my first ray!

That was as exciting as things got all day, but it was still a nice day out.

2zhqwbp.jpg

See you out on the water

Bad luck mate! I think i saw that exact ray under the bridge on thursday! I find the overhead pipe to be a little too shallow for the unweighted prawns... Anyhwere between the bridge and the pipe is a little better as the deeper water comes closer to the shore.

Hey mate,

Things got even more quiet... because i went home hahaha

How'd you boys go downstream?

haha is the runout tide better than the run in tide there?

we didn't end uo fishing downstream, walked down to the boat ramp on the pontoon and let the rest of our prawns go in the water and a massive school of bream come from under the pontoon and demolish them after trying for 3 hours near the pipe haha ohwell. definitely some keepers in there too

haha is the runout tide better than the run in tide there?

we didn't end uo fishing downstream, walked down to the boat ramp on the pontoon and let the rest of our prawns go in the water and a massive school of bream come from under the pontoon and demolish them after trying for 3 hours near the pipe haha ohwell. definitely some keepers in there too

Bad luck buddy. If you head down on a weekday in the late afternoon you might be able to sneak on and have a go at them. Did this once and got 4 keepers in half and hour. I'll have a look in the next few days at my favourite spot and see if its back in action! The bloody boat ramp construction got in the way last time.. To answer your other question, "is the run out better than the run in". I find run in good for salmon, bream, tailor and trevally while the run out is better for flathead and whiting.

user1829 is right, when using braid you need a leader. Generally speaking a rodlength should do. I really like power-pro braid. Suits the fishing i do and has good knot strength. You can cast a hell of a lot further with braid! A swivel can be used to join braid to leader but your better off learning a few line connection knots like the albright and slim-beauty. It all takes a bit of getting used to but since i started on braid a few years back, i haven't looked back!

Are there disadvantages with using a heavier line? With the mono I'd normally get the highest my rod is rated to (which I think is 12lb), so was thinking of the 10lb power-pro.

Also, what is your preferred way to spool it? I've read about 3 options: a layer of mono, electrical tape on top of the 1st layer of braid and the arbor tape (although not entirely clear on how that works).

Thanks again :)

Bad luck buddy. If you head down on a weekday in the late afternoon you might be able to sneak on and have a go at them. Did this once and got 4 keepers in half and hour. I'll have a look in the next few days at my favourite spot and see if its back in action! The bloody boat ramp construction got in the way last time.. To answer your other question, "is the run out better than the run in". I find run in good for salmon, bream, tailor and trevally while the run out is better for flathead and whiting.

might head down on wednesday again so if it's not in use by boats you are allowed to fish on it?

Are there disadvantages with using a heavier line? With the mono I'd normally get the highest my rod is rated to (which I think is 12lb), so was thinking of the 10lb power-pro.

Also, what is your preferred way to spool it? I've read about 3 options: a layer of mono, electrical tape on top of the 1st layer of braid and the arbor tape (although not entirely clear on how that works).

Thanks again :)

10lb should be ok. It wouldn't hurt to go down to 8 though.. just tie it directly onto the spool using a strong knot. You can have a layer of backing (mono) but i only do this on my heavier rods (30lb+)

might head down on wednesday again so if it's not in use by boats you are allowed to fish on it?

I wouldn't say your allowed to but you can probably get away with it. They might still be working on it though... I picked up a few bream the other day by casting lightly weighted baits at the pontoon from the right side. Not big fish but a few legals. You should try for yakkas at the pontoon too if you get the chance. A small hook and splitshot is the go.