Durras Lake / Batemens Bay

Izza

G'day guys

Been a long time between posts for me due to losing my nan at the beginning of the year and undergone some minor surgery but everything is back on track now! Im going away with the fam for a weeks camping down to durras lake its about 20mins north of batemens bay (will provide map link at the bottom) and was just wondering if anyone had fished that area before and had any general info/tips, Ive got both beach and estuary gear and also a yabbie pump if anyone knows anywhere to get them (or a good local store to get good bait from), the camping ground we are staying at also offers rental kayaks so was thinking of going out in one for a fish which Ive never done so if anyone fishes from a kayak a few tips on that would be great haha

Cheers Raiders

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=np&q=durras+lake&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=661&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Edited by newbie88

Ive fished batemans a bit. The Durrus area hold alot of quality reds outside. I fish durras alot from a boat but there is a good snapper spot in close. Im not sure if you are staying at Murramarang eco resort but the southern headland of the strech that eco resort is hold quality snapper especially this time of year in close. From this point there is Grasshopper island which is maybe 200 m off the point. If fishing the rocks try and cast straight to the island. There is a gutter that runs through there and you just might get to it. if this fails i fish just south of the island in 20 m which is still inside the island but a bit south. Have a cast around that area and odds are at this time of year you might pick up a reddie.

Dave

G'day guys

Been a long time between posts for me due to losing my nan at the beginning of the year and undergone some minor surgery but everything is back on track now! Im going away with the fam for a weeks camping down to durras lake its about 20mins north of batemens bay (will provide map link at the bottom) and was just wondering if anyone had fished that area before and had any general info/tips, Ive got both beach and estuary gear and also a yabbie pump if anyone knows anywhere to get them (or a good local store to get good bait from), the camping ground we are staying at also offers rental kayaks so was thinking of going out in one for a fish which Ive never done so if anyone fishes from a kayak a few tips on that would be great haha

Cheers Raiders

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=np&q=durras+lake&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=661&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Have been there a couple of times, beautiful spot. Haven't done any beach fishing there yet (but will next time) but some soft plastics flicking from the shore (both the sand flats and channels at the entrance and the main channel further into the lake). Very clean for an estuary and plenty of fish, though I've only had a few flatheads myself. Can't wait for my next trip, as soon as it gets a bit warmer...

• 6 months later...

Ive fished batemans a bit. The Durrus area hold alot of quality reds outside. I fish durras alot from a boat but there is a good snapper spot in close. Im not sure if you are staying at Murramarang eco resort but the southern headland of the strech that eco resort is hold quality snapper especially this time of year in close. From this point there is Grasshopper island which is maybe 200 m off the point. If fishing the rocks try and cast straight to the island. There is a gutter that runs through there and you just might get to it. if this fails i fish just south of the island in 20 m which is still inside the island but a bit south. Have a cast around that area and odds are at this time of year you might pick up a reddie.

Dave

G'day Dave

I have tried in close for Snapper in this area with plastics. I am either not in the right area or the Snapper are not there at the times I have fished there. I have tried around Wasp and Grasshopper island but no luck. Are there any specific spots that the fish gather in? The ground there fairly flat and sloping without any peaks or shoals. Can you help me with any information for me to catch a snapper there.

Thanks

Dave