How to double Mono line

trentarena89

Hey guys,

I recently bought a TLD30 off a mate and it was lined with 15kg mono. I want to head down to JB to give it a spin soon and because 15kg is kind of light for that area I wanted to know if it would be worth it to double my line? or if I even can effectively double mono? I've checked out some videos but they all seem to use braid and whenever I try it, they just end up a mess. I want to keep the 15kg line on there because being new to this type of reel it's a lot easier to learn with.

Thanks.

Trent

Hey guys,

I recently bought a TLD30 off a mate and it was lined with 15kg mono. I want to head down to JB to give it a spin soon and because 15kg is kind of light for that area I wanted to know if it would be worth it to double my line? or if I even can effectively double mono? I've checked out some videos but they all seem to use braid and whenever I try it, they just end up a mess. I want to keep the 15kg line on there because being new to this type of reel it's a lot easier to learn with.

Thanks.

Trent

not really sure what you are askign here?

do you mean - "can i use 30kg line?"

or "can i use two strands of 15kg line at once?"

You can double mono as a leader by twisting it tight and locking it with tubing, but not in lengths over a few metres. If you mean trying to double it for trolling or bottom bashing then forget it, its going to be one huge snarl on the reel or in the water. Mono has memory - parts of the line have tension in them and this will contract to form loops and twists - which makes it unsuitable for use as other than a single strand. Braid doesn't form a memory.

not really sure what you are askign here?

do you mean - "can i use 30kg line?"

or "can i use two strands of 15kg line at once?"

Sorry, I was a bit unclear, I'm talking about doubling two strands of 15kg.

You can double mono as a leader by twisting it tight and locking it with tubing, but not in lengths over a few metres. If you mean trying to double it for trolling or bottom bashing then forget it, its going to be one huge snarl on the reel or in the water. Mono has memory - parts of the line have tension in them and this will contract to form loops and twists - which makes it unsuitable for use as other than a single strand. Braid doesn't form a memory.

I see.

I have done some test joins and used a Bimini Twist so I have about a metre of doubled over line to attach to my leader. It will be used for live baiting. So I guess I'm asking if it will provide any benefit?

Yes the double will provide you some benefit.It will allow you control the fish much better when it is near you. It also gives you much better abrasion resistance if you are fishing near structure as well.

I plait my doubles in 15 KG and have them at least 1.5 times the length of my rod. To that I attach my leader. I use this rig when I am live baiting or trolling. No problem whatsoever.

Having said all of that I am now starting to use long wind on leaders and I must say, with my overheads at least, I find this a better way to rig up. A short double and a double cats paw to join the leader. With my jigging set up I favor a PR knot to join my leader.

BTW I have never had a problem with mono having a memory either ???

Evets

Try a plaited double if time permits, but if time is of the the escence the overhand knot

will get you out of trouble.

cheers

zed

Yes the double will provide you some benefit.It will allow you control the fish much better when it is near you. It also gives you much better abrasion resistance if you are fishing near structure as well.

I plait my doubles in 15 KG and have them at least 1.5 times the length of my rod. To that I attach my leader. I use this rig when I am live baiting or trolling. No problem whatsoever.

I have tried the plait a few times and it just ends in a hell of a mess. Does it really provide that much benefit over the Bimini Twist. I seem to have that down ha ha

What I meant by memory applies to using line that's been on a reel for a while after being used. New mono is ok, older stuff that's on the reel may have had who knows what kind of stretch or abuse.

Use a plaited double in mono..

It's worth it if trolling or jigging for solid fish.

With a bit of practice 15kg will plait well.

For distance casting off the rocks I'd go Double Uni or Slim Beauty to the leader then a swivel connecting the jig.

I use a bimini when doubling braid, but it doesn't seem to suit mono.

As Zed sed(!), use an overhand for a quick fix.

It doesn't have any stretch/absorbtion in the knot, but this is not as big an issue on 15kg mono.

Edited by motohead