Another Rock Hopper lost

Sad news reported today Raiders,

We've lost another fisho to the rocks at La Parouse. It happened at 11.00 am this morning. Details are still sketchy on what he was wearing, if he was in company, etc. However, that makes 10 people drowned while rock fishing in NSW alone this year. PLEASE be sensible and take all precautions on the rocks. There are great rewards to be had, sure, but if you're careless, they can come at the ultimate price. Thinking of the family and friends of our lost companion today.

GreyNurse

He was fishing at a well known location on the East Coast not far from the helicopter base and from reports the guys at the base actually gave them a friendly take care stay safe hello, as relatively calm as the sea has been you can never be too careful (the paticular spot which I request and all respect due remain unammed on this Forum due to its nature and isolated location is not recommended unless very familiar with it and fishing ina group)

BE AWARE THERE IS A SOUTHERLY SWELL BUILDING FOR THE WEEKEND WHICH IS EXPECTED TO ARRIVE LATE THIS WEEK IF NOT BY TOMORROW SO TAKE THE SAFE OPTION AND FISH AN ESTUARY I WILL BE!

Always sad to see these events occur. You can never be too careful.

The big waters have started around the Illawarra, I was at Coalcliff last night and within half an hour the swell increased by at least a metre and the wind changed to a strong southerly. Be careful everyone.

I fished outside Botany Bay yesterday morning, drfifting for flathead (unsuccessfully) wasin the 40-50 metres depths. No joy after an hour and the wind getting up a bit so I decided to head to the area off the northern headland, which was out of the wind, and troll some minnows in the hope of a bonito or two. There were two fishermen on the rocks in what looked to me to be quite a safe location. One of them was wearing long yellow plastic pants - not recommended when rock fishing. Not much swell where they were it appeared. I got quite a shock to hear on the news on the way home that a fisherman had drowned at La Perouse. It had to be one of them - there were no others on the rocks. I went past them sometime soon after 10.00 am, not very long before this tragedy occurred.

It put a dampener on my day.

Kel

He was fishing at a well known location on the East Coast not far from the helicopter base and from reports the guys at the base actually gave them a friendly take care stay safe hello, as relatively calm as the sea has been you can never be too careful (the paticular spot which I request and all respect due remain unammed on this Forum due to its nature and isolated location

Was out having a stroll down to cape banks a few weeks ago and spied two gentleman at this very spot. Unbelievably, one was fishing in a pair of wellington boots. Access rope was tied with what looked like a Grannie knot around an outcrop of sandstone rock.

If these sort of deaths keep occurring, Some time soon we will see rock fishing banned.

Was out having a stroll down to cape banks a few weeks ago and spied two gentleman at this very spot. Unbelievably, one was fishing in a pair of wellington boots. Access rope was tied with what looked like a Grannie knot around an outcrop of sandstone rock.

If these sort of deaths keep occurring, Some time soon we will see rock fishing banned.

that particular ledge used to have a chain attached to a ring at the top. It was cut out to prevent people rocking up and just going down as it is a known fatality spot.

that particular ledge used to have a chain attached to a ring at the top. It was cut out to prevent people rocking up and just going down as it is a known fatality spot.

NP's cut the rings off a few years ago.

i dnt understand why some of these spots arnt out of bound to fisho's, all thes deaths id like to see how many have been in around sydney area ,i myself have been rockfishing for approx 20yrs ,ive only been in sydney about 6yrs but ive actually only been off the rocks only once here ,i hate the thought of having to climb down & up ladders & ropes ,or fishing of a ledge which is preety much the same height as the sea ( that the biggest scary for me ).

ill gladly drive 5 or 6hrs north to my home country where your 10 to 20 ft of the water, plenty of escape routes,& usually very few fisho's ,these spots u do have to walk but there lots of them north of south west rocks, right up to coffs. im sure theres more sth of sydney too.best way is to do a fisho weekend ,get a few mates leave syd fri night fish the sat ,sunday morning then back syd after that ,plenty big jewies :1yikes: ,tailor,bream to be had this time of year. :clapping: