My new flies

GreyNurse

G'day Raiders,

A friend of mine recently returned from a holiday in Ireland. Knowing I'm a keen fisho, he has gifted me with a selection of five hand tied flies that he bought in Galway. I love 'em and, although I've been a saltwater boy all my life, I've just got to give the freshwater a bash. I'm already thinking Thompson's Creek Dam in the near future.

Thing is, I've no idea what pattern these flies are based on as I've no previous experience with fly fishing, I was wondering if anyone can identify them. I would say that they are dry flies and they measure between 2 - 2.5cm.

Sorry I couldn't get any better angles, but any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Nursie

post-22908-063409400 1342852415_thumb.jpg

post-22908-045483800 1342852422_thumb.jpg

post-22908-092493700 1342852430_thumb.jpg

post-22908-096997500 1342852438_thumb.jpg

post-22908-088928200 1342852446_thumb.jpg

Hi Greynurse,

they all look like hackled wets apart from the second one used for sea trout and salmon swing them in the current on a river, fished in team loch syle or slow stripped back, lovely flies definately worth using on TCD on an intermediate line slow stripped in a team of two (normally three but thats against DPI regs) a foot apart. Would also be great on one of the bigger Snowies rivwers swung down and across early season.

Cheers

Royce

Thanks Royce,

I'll try and do them justice and report back in the future if I'm successful. I'm going to have to use them on a casting bubble rig on light spin gear, I'm afraid. I don't have a fly rod and reel. My mate didn't think about that when he bought them for me. If you knew my mate, that's typical of him. A great bloke nonetheless.

Nursie

id say the last one is a hopper with its knotted legs.. usually an easy way to know if they are wets or drys is by the stiffness of the hackles ( the spiky bit - feather wound around the hook near the eye) . if they are stiff could be a dry fly , wets usually have softer hackles so they move in the water.. stiffer hackles will hold up the fly in/on the surface film

dont worry too much.. plenty fish have been caught on sunken dry flies and floating wets

just my 2c worth

cheers and good luck !

grant

Edited by jimmy72