Wyangala Dam Bigga

elferoz777

Hi all,

Looking to go for a shooting trip out Bigga in the next few weeks and am also planning to do some fishing in Wyangala dam.

I am aware the government release a heap of trout, cod and perch so I am hoping for some action.

I was hoping some one could help me with some advice on the best land based techniques to try on the area???

I know it is 97% full and in the area I am going to fish it is about 30 - 50 meters deep at its deepest.

I namely want to know what kind of lures will work ? and also what kind of technique? ( is it like spinning for tailor or fly fishing or just cast and let it sink?)

Any help fishing the fresh water would be greatly appreciated as I only really get the change to do this 1-2 times a year and want to make the most of it.

That's probably the comp weekend,theirs usually a boat up for grabs if you want to register. Golden Perch would be a good target on bait, you might find lure fishing be a bit hit and miss this time of year as the natives wait for the water too warm up. Wyangala used to be one of the best trout dams in the state however its early days in the restocking,I'm looking at another year for the trout to grow a bit.

Regards Charles

Mate if you have time take an opera house yabby net with you, load it up with some dog biscuits and catch yourself some fresh water shrimp. They are the best bait in Wyangala from the bank. You can try the berkley MF 80 vibes or the jackall vibes(not sure what there called) anywhere around the small trees and logs that have been submerged with the rising dam.Last time I fished Wyanagla we caught plenty of yellowbelly on the shrimps and even a couple on the vibes best time was early morning and just before dark but they will bite all day sometimes.If your going to Bigga then you will probably come in from Grabine, anywhere along the gravelly banks there mate where you can find some trees will work if the fish are on, but as was said that could be the weekend of the comp so there could be quite a few people out there.

Goodluck.

Norto

Mate if you have time take an opera house yabby net with you, load it up with some dog biscuits and catch yourself some fresh water shrimp. They are the best bait in Wyangala from the bank. You can try the berkley MF 80 vibes or the jackall vibes(not sure what there called) anywhere around the small trees and logs that have been submerged with the rising dam.Last time I fished Wyanagla we caught plenty of yellowbelly on the shrimps and even a couple on the vibes best time was early morning and just before dark but they will bite all day sometimes.If your going to Bigga then you will probably come in from Grabine, anywhere along the gravelly banks there mate where you can find some trees will work if the fish are on, but as was said that could be the weekend of the comp so there could be quite a few people out there.

Goodluck.

Norto

Thanks for the info. I usually go for a night shoot and set my operah house traps in about 4-5 dams so I think live bait will not be an issue.

I will be there from the 31st August - 2nd Sep and again for a long weekend seven days later. I have heard reports of yellow belly being caught so I hope to at least catch something. It will break down the lull between the morning hunt and the night time spotlight.