DPI Fisheries survey

Hey,

A while back a couple years ago there were a number of fisheries volunteers that would survey our catch when we would come back to the boat ramp after a days fishing in the hacking. They told me that they were undertaking the survey to establish how healthy the systems were and to get an understanding as to how good the general fishing experience was. The guy who was doing the survey at yowie boat ramp was a nice guy and he was there pretty much every weekend for a year.

Anyway i was always interested in what the results of the survey was, and i have come past the final report issued from the DPI for this survey.

Its a good read if you are interested in whats being caught in your local fishery...

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/402139/WF_2011_Output-1856_Steffe-and-Murphy_Greater-Sydney-Recreational-Fishing_REPORT.pdf

Thanks

Anthony

Hey,

A while back a couple years ago there were a number of fisheries volunteers that would survey our catch when we would come back to the boat ramp after a days fishing in the hacking. They told me that they were undertaking the survey to establish how healthy the systems were and to get an understanding as to how good the general fishing experience was. The guy who was doing the survey at yowie boat ramp was a nice guy and he was there pretty much every weekend for a year.

Anyway i was always interested in what the results of the survey was, and i have come past the final report issued from the DPI for this survey.

Its a good read if you are interested in whats being caught in your local fishery...

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/402139/WF_2011_Output-1856_Steffe-and-Murphy_Greater-Sydney-Recreational-Fishing_REPORT.pdf

Thanks

Anthony

Interesting reading Anthony.

I only focused on Port Hacking, noticed that some fish numbers were fairly constant over the 2 years, others varied significantly each year.

Can say that after fishing the Port for over 50 years, I have caught just about every fish mentioned at some time. Can also add one spotted mackerel, one teraglin, one maori cod, one groper, one stinkfish, about a dozen estuary cod (not caught one for years) and about a dozen large nannygai, caught over the years, and one freshwater blackfish around 1960 (that's what it was identified as, don't ask me how it was swimming off Yowie Bay wharf), and a few other small species of no edible value. Also caught small hammerheads, whalers, wobbies and a large gummy shark.

Did notice that not many jews were caught in the Port compared to the Hawkesbury system.

Dave.

Edited by yowie