Freshwater Kayaking?

Mr Squidy

Hi guys,

Recently purchased myself a kayak for terrorising the Port Hacking squid and jew populace and have started to wonder what options there are within reasonable driving distance of Sydney for freshwater kayak fishing? Would love to go chase some bass or trout on spin gear from the yak, maybe take the tent and camp out for a few nights, but have no idea where would be worth the while. Are there any worthwhile areas that people could recommend?

Was thinking maybe launching at Talawa damn and paddling up the shoalhaven looking for bass as i have hiked in and fished for bass in its upper reaches before with some success.

Cheers,

Rich

Hi Rich

Bass fishing commences again as of Sept 1st (there is a closed season during the breeding period.)

Not wanting to put a damper on things, but - just have a few practise runs with others before heading out on the rivers on your own - if you are fishing river systems, you can get into serious trouble if you get caught in rapids or swept into riverside snags, such as fallen trees etc. ALWAYS wear a PFD & have waterproof communication devise with you.

Pretty well any river flowing to the sea east of the Blue Mountains, should contain bass! Sometimes you may need to go a long way up til you find them in the 'fresh'. Use Google Earth to check the river systems out.

Good Luck

Roberta

Hi Rich,

As a kid I used to catch Ep, bass, bream and Jew right up the back of the Woronora River down the back on Engadine. I saw people paddle up from Woronora down the back of Sutherland. The water is brackish up the end and to get from the brackish to the fresh is a struggle as there is a shallow rocky area studded with trees and a small causeway. You may be able to drive down to the freshwater part from Lucas Height area. As Roberta said Google earth the area and you can see the causeway etc.

Paul

On Strike

Thanks for the feedback guys!! The yak is a prowler elite 4.5m so a bit big for tackling the white water stuff anyway. Was more thinking of any damns and the like where this might be possible? For example would kayaking be allowed on TCD which i keep hearing people mention?

Also, thanks Roberta for the heads up on the bass closure. Wasn't planning to head out until the weather warms up a bit more but its good to know.

Cheers,

Rich

agree on wallace and lyell,

wallace is much shallower and smaller with easy access,

and it has some whopping trout in there,

lyell is much bigger and alot deeper in sections, pick a nice bay on google earth and focus around it or even head up the back to farmers creek,

also holds some big trout,

also once the season starts again there can be some great bass fishing on the nepean river.

have fun with your new toy mate theyre great fishing tools them yaks.

Thanks Guys!! Just did a little reading on Wallace and Lyell and they look just like what i'm after.

Cheers,

Rich

If you want to head south, Try Danjera or Flat rock dams out the back of Nowra they have both been stocked with bass in past years and fish reasonably well in the warmer months. as for around Sydney, as others have said, The Nepean anywhere from Menangle north also try the top end of The Georges river you might be surprised what is actually in there. I love fishing out of my Yak that much I've got to the stage I'm thinking about selling my boat. Then again that would be one less toy and that just isn't allowed.

Cheers

Paul