online shop Fishing Kayak Review

GoneFishin!

Hey Everyone,

I thought it might be a good idea to share how my new kayak purchased off e Bay for $425 went on its maiden voyage! I know when I was looking at buying this yak I was trying to find as many reviews about them as possible so thought I'd put in my 2 cents now I've taken it out.

We went out in Botany Bay late this morning, launching off the beach at Monterey. For $425 I got the yak, paddle, seat and rod holder (plus a couple of other goodies the seller threw in when I collected it!). I also managed to find a good brand new PFD on e Bay for $80 that worked a treat too. The yak performed really well, it floated for a start! It was also pretty stable even when the wind picked up and it became very choppy. The seat was really comfortable and the paddle was solid and didn't feel like something cheap. It's also light enough for me to lift it onto my car roof racks which is great.

The only bad thing I have to say about it and I was totally expecting this, is this that it wasn't super fast through the water. Don't get me wrong it was fine paddling but that was the most noticeable thing about it as I was out with a mate who was in a proper yak that cut through the water a lot easier.

As for actually being out on the bay in a yak, it was great. I can't wait to get back in and just drift along with a rod out (hopefully next time I'll catch something!). We made it about 3kms across the bay, fishing along the way, before we headed back. At this point, the wind had really picked up and made the paddle back extremely draining. I ended up heading for the nearest beach and then dragging the yak back across a few beaches to where the car was.

So anyone looking at getting a yak from e Bay, it's probably not a bad idea although I can't vouch for everything out there (I'm sure there's probably a few dodgy ones!). I'm hoping this new part of my fishing kit will help me catch some decent fish now!

post-24092-052264200 1345705146_thumb.jpg

post-24092-039620000 1345705174_thumb.jpg

Edited by GoneFishin!

Hi ya

The longer yaks (4m +) will always go better & faster than a 3m yak - the 3m yak will 'bob' from wave to wave, whilst the 4m+ will slice thru the waves, giving a more comfortable & faster ride.

Make sure you 'learn' your yak's 'lean potential' - if fighting a big fish or netting one, it can be easy to tip the yak if you lean over too far.

....At this point, the wind had really picked up and made the paddle back extremely draining. I ended up heading for the nearest beach.....

Good on you - that is the smartest thing to do if you are ever uncomfortable out there (or even in the estuary or a dam.) High-tail it for shore - anywhere! Well done.

cheers

Roberta