Kayaking Spots Near Sydney

jack.w

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knows any good kayaking spots near Sydney.

Also would anyone any good spots on the Hawkesbury & the Harbour near boat ramps.

Any info would be appreciated!

Cheers, :thumbup:

Jack :1fishing1:

Hi all,

Also would anyone any good spots on the Hawkesbury & the Harbour near boat ramps.

[/quote

i used to yakfish upstream from roseville bridge a bit, great water for lure fishing, usual suspects bream,flathead,whiting,jewfish,mullet,tailor even got a kingy up there once while chasing flatties on plastics.

pretty popular for yak fishers up that way.

might even head up there tomorrow myself.

Hi all,

i used to yakfish upstream from roseville bridge a bit, great water for lure fishing, usual suspects bream,flathead,whiting,jewfish,mullet,tailor even got a kingy up there once while chasing flatties on plastics.

pretty popular for yak fishers up that way.

might even head up there tomorrow myself.

+1 for upper middle harbour! I'll be spending A LOT of time up there over summer. Anything from bream and whiting on small SP's and HB's to 20kg+ Jewfish on livebaits. Make sure that if your livebaiting upstream from the roseville bridge, use either tailor or mullet. You need to "match the hatch". These are the main baitfish in the area which makes them the best bait for the predatory fish.

Narrabeen lakes is great for a few bream and flathead during summer. Generally quite a shallow lake but there are a few nice drop offs that produce big lizards and even the odd jewfish when the time is right. If whiting on poppers excites you then there are some nice spots in the lake.

Pittwater is also worth a look. Kingfish are the go in summer. Live baiting is best but when they are on the surface poppers and unweighted SP's can be deadly. No shortage of other species too if thats what your after.

These are all poplar sydney "yakking" areas. Roseville has a specific kayak ramp so that should come in handy. In summer don't burley too hard around roseville. Plenty of Bull and Tiger sharks come upstream. Generally speaking there's nothing to worry about though... There's not really anywhere in sydney that sharks aren't at...

Good luck!

Cheers, Tom

Edited by mack attack 79

+1 for upper middle harbour! I'll be spending A LOT of time up there over summer. Anything from bream and whiting on small SP's and HB's to 20kg+ Jewfish on livebaits. Make sure that if your livebaiting upstream from the roseville bridge, use either tailor or mullet. You need to "match the hatch". These are the main baitfish in the area which makes them the best bait for the predatory fish.

Narrabeen lakes is great for a few bream and flathead during summer. Generally quite a shallow lake but there are a few nice drop offs that produce big lizards and even the odd jewfish when the time is right. If whiting on poppers excites you then there are some nice spots in the lake.

Pittwater is also worth a look. Kingfish are the go in summer. Live baiting is best but when they are on the surface poppers and unweighted SP's can be deadly. No shortage of other species too if thats what your after.

These are all poplar sydney "yakking" areas. Roseville has a specific kayak ramp so that should come in handy. In summer don't burley too hard around roseville. Plenty of Bull and Tiger sharks come upstream. Generally speaking there's nothing to worry about though... There's not really anywhere in sydney that sharks aren't at...

Good luck!

Cheers, Tom

never seen one but it always felt bull sharky to me up there, didnt think about tigers though.

spot on with the local baitfish theres mullet everywhere up there and itd be the livie id try to be using if i was targetting jew or shark for sure.

never seen one but it always felt bull sharky to me up there, didnt think about tigers though.

spot on with the local baitfish theres mullet everywhere up there and itd be the livie id try to be using if i was targetting jew or shark for sure.

I was shocked when i read reports of them going that far up too.. BUT i can confirm that they do. I saw one (approximately 3.5m) at the first bend after the bridge in febuary a few years back! Who would have guessed! Plenty of bulls though. Wouldn't catch me swimming in there..

Edited by mack attack 79

I was shocked when i read reports of them going that far up too.. BUT i can confirm that they do. I saw one (approximately 3.5m) at the first bend after the bridge in febuary a few years back! Who would have guessed! Plenty of bulls though. Wouldn't catch me swimming in there..

thats awesome man, pretty lucky to see that, i would love to see one (from a boat lol). i wouldnt be swimming in there either, no way.

Guest leisureman

Hi Guys, Could you PM the Kayak ramp position @ Roseville please. If you both are interested, PM me and i will fill you in on the good Hawkesbury spots. Know one where the Bass will jump in the Yak at the right hour. I have had several first cast hook ups in these spots and would be happy to show you. Also check this out as i am starting this to provide budget tips & hints as well as fishing photos, jokes etc. Cheers! https://www.facebook.com/KayakFishingDiyTipsPimpMyYak

Have photos there of my Yak which went very well with the 24lb Watersnake for the first time...about 5-6 knots with 2 on board!!

Hi Guys, Could you PM the Kayak ramp position @ Roseville please. If you both are interested, PM me and i will fill you in on the good Hawkesbury spots. Know one where the Bass will jump in the Yak at the right hour. I have had several first cast hook ups in these spots and would be happy to show you. Also check this out as i am starting this to provide budget tips & hints as well as fishing photos, jokes etc. Cheers! https://www.facebook.com/KayakFishingDiyTipsPimpMyYak

Have photos there of my Yak which went very well with the 24lb Watersnake for the first time...about 5-6 knots with 2 on board!!

The kayak ramp is between the overhead pipe and the boatramp. When i say kayak ramp, you can't actually reverse into the water like at the boatramp. You park next to it and carry it down a few meters to the launch spot.

"I was wondering if anyone knows any good kayaking spots near Sydney.

Also would anyone any good spots on the Hawkesbury & the Harbour near boat ramps."

Any beach, road, ramp, bay, is easily accessible by kayak. Much more versatile than boats. Bayview is great with kayak, paddling up towards Palm Beach.

The kayak ramp is between the overhead pipe and the boatramp. When i say kayak ramp, you can't actually reverse into the water like at the boatramp. You park next to it and carry it down a few meters to the launch spot.

Its a good spot to launch from, I fish the area quite often. Don't forget fishing around Clontarf, Spit, Middle Head and Quarantine. All easy to access by kayak. When you feel able and ready, let me know and we can go out and take a peek around the heads up or down a couple of Km's. :yahoo:

Edited by Big_Muskellunge

The chances of encountering a shark in estuary is pretty low I've been fishing the yak for about 3 years and have never ever seen 1

Mates been fishing his yak for over 15 years and he's onli ever seen one outside near clovelly

Hacking and the George's has many options to launch and if you are new to yakking I would fish the harbour as it is the most busy waterway oyster bay is a nice place to start fish for bream flathead and whiting