Fly keeps breaking off

jamesc5562

Hi Raiders,

Iv recently delved into the world of saltwater fly fishing as a new challenge in my fishing exploits. Picked up a wildfish combo which consists of 8wt rod, large arbor reel and 8wt floating line. While the line is not ideal for what i want to do, which is fish off the rocks for mack tuna, bonnies etc its good enough for now to allow me to learn how to cast.

Im getting to hang of it pretty well but I am having one issue. After practising my casting for 30min or so, my tippet will break at the fly and i lose the fly. Im using a 15lb tapered leader with a 20lb shock tippet. Iv been connecting the fly with a lefty loop knot however it seems however i vary the knot it will keep breaking (just to note it is not the knot that breaks but the loop which will actually break in two). I think it possibly could be due to my casting technique and beginning my forward cast too early, creating a whipping effect at the tippet. However i would really appreciate if anyone had some ideas as to why this could be happened as i'd prefer not to lose flies every fishing trip

Cheers James

Hey James,

Are you practicising your casting on the water or over land? If practicising over land it is most likely your leader is breaking due to wear and tear of the impact of the fly hitting the ground. If you're practising over water, I have no idea...

Cheers,

Brendon

Hey James,

Are you practicising your casting on the water or over land? If practicising over land it is most likely your leader is breaking due to wear and tear of the impact of the fly hitting the ground. If you're practising over water, I have no idea...

Cheers,

Brendon

Yeah im practising on the water

I've been fly fishing for years, and whilst only Freshwater, I've always used a Clinch knot to tie my flies on to my tippet.

I have never had one fail in all those years.

You could always use the improved clinch knot too.

Hope this helps...

I liked the loop knot because it allows the fly to move freely. But I might give the clinch knot, hopefully it solves the problem

Thanks

does it sound like your cracking a whip when it breaks?

if so try waiting just a split second longer on your backcast before bringing the rod forward again,

i think you may have to let the line "unroll" a bit more on the backcast before starting your forward cast.

could be wrong.

Gday all. spot on hooked up, you need to let the backcast unroll fully before beginning the front casting stroke.

Also if you are using weighted flys you dont want really tight loops, you need to open up your casting stroke a little more than usual.

hope this helps cheers troutboy :thumbup:

Gday all. spot on hooked up, you need to let the backcast unroll fully before beginning the front casting stroke.

Also if you are using weighted flys you dont want really tight loops, you need to open up your casting stroke a little more than usual.

hope this helps cheers troutboy :thumbup:

I have being using weighted flies so that could be part of the problem. But i reckon i need to let the backcast straighten out slightly more, going to go down to waterfront tomorrow and give it a go. Hopefully it will solve the problem

When your casting on the backcast allow the rod t ofully load up and the line and leader to unroll as others say another good tip pointed out is opening up the loops also learn to haul the line in the casting stroke if you allow the line to fall below the rod tip you are losing accelaration and thus power in the cast if your flie is dropping you may end up hitting the rocks behind and then its gone the fly that is! Invest in a casting lesson or two the person will iron out your flaws and help you develope a good technique otherwise if your technique is poor it can lead to fatigue and poor casting.

Keep at it it gets addictive!