tips one lures for a new guy

Shim

Hi guys

I just started lure fishing this year. I started around the end of summer and stopped just when the weather got cold. I have a 1-3kg samaki rod and a symetre 2500 with 6lb braid and 8lb mono leader. The only thing Ive been using is paddle tails and I caught a few flatheads on them. Im still having a hard time finding out what lures catch what fish and how to use them. I just started using poppers this month to try and catch whiting but only learned that i have to wait till the water gets warmer.

1. Do lures work at night ? If so, do i have to use a bright colour and dark colours during the day ?

2. There was a time when it was really windy so I used a heavier jig head and lure on my rod. Is this wrong ? I could feel that it was really heavy.

3. Is there a chart for what lures catch which fish ?

4. Is my rod and reel combo just mad for bream ? My favourite fish is a mulloway and hope to catch one with a lure. Should I go a heavier setup ?

5. Do more expensive lures work the same as cheaper lures ? Is it all about how you retrieve the lure ?

The way I usually use lures is i do 2 quick jerks and let the lure sink and rest abit and then do the same thing again. All i was catching was flathead. There a fun fish to catch but also want to catch some bream and other species.

1. Yes lures work at night but I have only had success in areas with light source like bridges and wharves.

2.generally speaking it is the right thing to do to bump the size of your jig head up as the wind picks up but the reason you were feeling your rod to be heavy is because the jig head size does not match the rod

3.i do not believe there is a chart for what lure catches what

4. I thing your combo is more of a fatty combo. I use a 2-4lb loomis imx with a twinpower FC 1000 for bream and flathead 4lb braid whilst my jewwie combo is a 2-4 kg fireblood with a sustain fg 2500 8 lb braid. I don't believe jewwies fight very hard as they usually have their 2 runs and they are pretty much finished so you don't need the strongest rod for them. I have caught most my jewwies on the first combo 4 lb line as that's the one which always follows me around.

5. I have found the bigger name lures always work better than the cheapies in the soft plastic range squidgies gulps keitech ecogear and there are a lot of other brands out there. My advice is work some 5 inch - 7 inch lures around bridges and around drop offs if you have a boat and you should land one in the coming days

Cheers alan

Thing things in my last post only induced plastic lol.

Make sure and I mean MAKESURE!!! You buy a few blades they are so effective on the bream flathead and whiting. I have even caught a few squid on them haha. Try stick with ecogear vx35 or 40 or the zx 35 or 40 or tt switchblades 1/8 you'll be sure to be hooked onto blades just don't use em around snagged areas