Manly Dam advice

Robofish

Dave,

According to NSW Fisheries, The damn has the following fish:

Fish Present: Golden Perch, Perch, Redfin, Australian Bass, Silver Perch, Eels

Fish Stocked: Australian Bass

At the moment, I'd say the western shore would offer the best opportunities for any of these species, what with the winds as they are. I must admit, I'm tempted to try out my flies on this piece of water. And only an hour's drive from home. Access appears pretty good too, looking at Google Earth.

Good luck with your efforts, and please post your results, whatever they may be.

Cheers,

Nursie

Hi,

I fancy having a crack at the carp here - can anyone help with locations and tactics?

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Dave

I can't give you any tip as I know nothing about Manly Dam or carp fishing but if you need some company will you have a crack to the please pm me... I work not far from the dam and won't mind having a go myself!

Cheers

Trung

All good Trung - I will be in touch soon mate. I have got a couple of mad weeks at work then should be good. I used to do a lot of carp fishing in the uk 1 I know you blokes don't like them but they go well on light gear.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi lads

I have fished the dam about 10 times now with fly and lures . It is good most times but the fish are not big at all .

Red fin and bass are what I would be targeting now with lures . The fish seem to be around 10cm to 25cm . Not big but still good to be able

To get bass in the middle of Sydney and there is always the chance to tangle with the big one .

Plenty of land base options and you can put a small tinny in the dam to but it's worth walking around the dam anyway just to enjoy the place.

Good luck.

I've been fishing Manly Dam a bit recently. No sign of any fish, possibly a bit cold with water temperature at 13C. I do only fly though. Not really possible to walk around the dam. The Western side accessed from Manly Vale is the best option, the Eastern side is accessed from Allambie via a short dirt track, lots of locals use this side as an off-leash dog area.

Walk across the dam wall and fish the NE shore. Theres a few lily beds which are good to work the edges of. Seems to be a pretty fishy spot up against the dam wall too. I usually leave a baited rod out (worms) whilst flicking lures or flies for bass and reddies.

I'd say that if targeting crap you could use almost anything for bait... bread, worms, cheese and so on. Get out there and have a crack, it's a top spot to wet a line.

Got a nice little oz bass on worms a last time i was there a few weeks ago. (light braid >> mono leader, small split shot, small worm hook).

good luck with the carp. go get (rid of) 'em !!

• 6 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...