What is your favourite trout lure?

Jew Stalker

I am recently getting into trout fishing and caught my first one the other day on a good old tassie devil. They are a good lure (if not great) but I love working hardbody's and fooling the fishy into thinking it is a real fish they are going for. I have also recently invested in a few quality rapala hardbodys which I am keen to have a flick with when the streams open.

I guess what I am getting at is what would be your favourite go to lure for land based fishing a stream and land based fishing a lake? (I only have ultra light spinner gear so far) Any info that you all are willing to share is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Luc.

The good ol' Celta.

Black & green or red & gold will do it.

Oldy but a goody & they still catch fish.

You can also try one of my old tricks & tie a big fly like a

wooly bugger 10-15cm in front of the tassie devil.

The theory is a trout thinks that a smaller fish is chasing the fly so will belt

the small fish. Sometimes they try to beat the small "fish" to the fly & belt the fly.

Either way it works for me. :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Grant.

The other week a mate of mine fished Thommos and used various hard bodies getting numerous follows but couldnt get a sindle brown or rainbow to strike.In desperation he tied on a small black Kokoda bat and whacko first cast he was on he scored two great brownies and said you could actually hear the cracking sound as the browns mouthed the lure.

Considering i have only fished for trout in NZ i dont know how valid my reply is but my 2 favourites for steam and lake are the halco scorpion 52 in brown trout and predatek micro min min shalllow in rainbow trout.

I have seen the Halco ones before in a shop and wondered if they were any good for trout (they seemed more like cod lures), cheers for clearing that little one up for me.

The good ol' Celta.

Black & green or red & gold will do it.

Oldy but a goody & they still catch fish.

You can also try one of my old tricks & tie a big fly like a

wooly bugger 10-15cm in front of the tassie devil.

The theory is a trout thinks that a smaller fish is chasing the fly so will belt

the small fish. Sometimes they try to beat the small "fish" to the fly & belt the fly.

Either way it works for me. :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Grant.

I have a few celtas and gave them a go the other week after I lost my devil (the cast after I caught my bow I snagged it on something during the retrieve) but had no luck with them. Not sure if it was my retrieve or type of celta I was using.

Tying a wooly bugger fly on in front sounds like a perfect idea! Very sound concept! I am definitely going to give that a go (when I figure out where to get flies from). Thanks for the tip Grant.

Edited by Jew Stalker

The other week a mate of mine fished Thommos and used various hard bodies getting numerous follows but couldnt get a sindle brown or rainbow to strike.In desperation he tied on a small black Kokoda bat and whacko first cast he was on he scored two great brownies and said you could actually hear the cracking sound as the browns mouthed the lure.

I am going to look that up right now as I am going to fish Thommo's at some point soon using hardbody's, celtas, tassies, Grant's Idea above and to be honest who doesn't need everything that works at one time or another. Hehehe

I have also been thinking about getting a couple of water holding floats and trying fly fishing with a spin rod (As I am a bit broke at the mo and can't afford decent fly gear yet). I think I am about to start a trout fishing addiction to supplement my neglected saltwater fishing addiction hehe.

If you want deadly setup for thommos...3inch bassminnow in pumpkin or smelt scales and a 1/40 hidden weight jighead and a 6lb leader and cast as far as you can and just let it sink to the bottom and you usually get hit on the way down so watch your braid carefully.

Celtas in red and silver/red and gold in the no3 size are great and cast as far as you can and count down until you hit the bottom then the next time a few seconds less and a nice slow retrieve just to get the blade working.

Tassie devils in pink with black spots..retrieve same as celtas and 7cm rapalas in brown trout or rainbow trout cast good and a slow retrieve once again

For flies a bright indicater wool and a nymph suspended about a metre or so below the indicator ..cast out and just leave it there and the trout will find it no worries and its great when you want a rest from casting lures all day.

Regards Stewy

If you want deadly setup for thommos...3inch bassminnow in pumpkin or smelt scales and a 1/40 hidden weight jighead and a 6lb leader and cast as far as you can and just let it sink to the bottom and you usually get hit on the way down so watch your braid carefully.

Celtas in red and silver/red and gold in the no3 size are great and cast as far as you can and count down until you hit the bottom then the next time a few seconds less and a nice slow retrieve just to get the blade working.

Tassie devils in pink with black spots..retrieve same as celtas and 7cm rapalas in brown trout or rainbow trout cast good and a slow retrieve once again

For flies a bright indicater wool and a nymph suspended about a metre or so below the indicator ..cast out and just leave it there and the trout will find it no worries and its great when you want a rest from casting lures all day.

Regards Stewy

With your soft plastics do you open the bail arm on the drop and let it free fall or do you close your bail arm and let it float down gently with a bit of tension?

I have a couple of those celtas so will be sure to persist with them also. I haven't seen any pink tassies with spots, only stripes, I will keep my eyes peeled. I think that the bubble float and fly idea is a good one too, It will be a nice easy way to get my young ones in on the action too. :biggrin2:

Thanks for the tips Stewy, I'm sure I will see you up there. I saw your film clip at TCD and it got me excited. :thumbup: "Oh happy days (to come)" :biggrin2:

Edited by Jew Stalker

wrigglers are good too, and i can definately vouch for Grants fly infront of the tassie idea ive used it and its killer sometimes they hit the fly and sometimes the tassie,

if you really love the hardbodys try some small suspending divers i just got some mad trout pattern ones from JDs lures.

some great flyfishing coming up soon mate they should be on the beetles real soon, get one out on a bubble float with a long mono trace if you have to and just let it float around. otherwise same rig with a couple beadhead nymphs as suggested by Stewy.

its great when you see them come up and take your offering off the surface but its not quite time just yet, very close and i cant wait.

Hi all, my go to hardbody for trout in streams is a rapala j5 jointed 5cm floater in brown or rainbow colors

For the lakes micro min in rainbow trout with suspend dots. Celtas are a great lure in both streams and lakes but I dont like using the treble hooks , they do so much damage to fish that are going to be released , so lately Ihave been buying cheaper versions such as kokoda that have a hook attachment point that is easy to retrofit with a split ring and a single lure hook.Since using the singles i have not lost a fish to a thrown lure. good luck....cheers troutboy :thumbup:

wrigglers are good too, and i can definately vouch for Grants fly infront of the tassie idea ive used it and its killer sometimes they hit the fly and sometimes the tassie,

if you really love the hardbodys try some small suspending divers i just got some mad trout pattern ones from JDs lures.

some great flyfishing coming up soon mate they should be on the beetles real soon, get one out on a bubble float with a long mono trace if you have to and just let it float around. otherwise same rig with a couple beadhead nymphs as suggested by Stewy.

its great when you see them come up and take your offering off the surface but its not quite time just yet, very close and i cant wait.

Awesome, I have a few wrigglers and paddle tails ready to go and am confident they will catch fish. When tying the fly 10-15cm above the lure do you use a dropper loop? Just curious how you would add it. Thanks for the JD's tip too.

Sometimes, not very often, they just won't touch anything!

I'm also a firm believer that if a Trout is hungry, it will take just about whatever you put in front of it!

Well soon enough I will have everything and will be able to tell hehehe.

Hi all, my go to hardbody for trout in streams is a rapala j5 jointed 5cm floater in brown or rainbow colors

For the lakes micro min in rainbow trout with suspend dots. Celtas are a great lure in both streams and lakes but I dont like using the treble hooks , they do so much damage to fish that are going to be released , so lately Ihave been buying cheaper versions such as kokoda that have a hook attachment point that is easy to retrofit with a split ring and a single lure hook.Since using the singles i have not lost a fish to a thrown lure. good luck....cheers troutboy :thumbup:

I have seen the J5's but not in trout pattern, I will have a look online I think. Cheers much. ;)

Couple of favourites:

Rapala/Blue Fox Vibrax

Jackson Komachi

Rapala F5 (modified to a spotted dog)

Rebel Crawdad (diff sizes for diff areas)

Most minnows though work and I adjust for intented depth, whether I want a rattle or not or if there is a specific size needed. The Vibrax I find better than a Celta for Lake work anyway, bit more weight for size and the minnow body gets a nice sway going behind the blade. All though I believe they have stopped making the model I like :ranting2:

And as some of you are aware, I am a NO TASSIE DEVIL zone :biggrin2:

Cheers

Windy

• 2 weeks later...

I think you hit it on the head there Matty all my favourites, in the last yr for me the number 3 size gold and black celta has worked best in the coxs I have caught 100 or so fish in the last yr mainly on this spinner so it's good to keep a couple in the tackle box also I still have heddon mini tads these are awesome lures very rare now as they were discontinued if you ever come across them get them

Cheers Deano