Slow Jigs/Inchiku lures the rage in NZ

arpie

Hi guys

I have some inchiku/slow jigs that I will be taking to NZ with me but haven't trialled them yet ....... has anyone had success with them on snapper or kings yet?

THe are a bit like a slug/metal that has been coloured, with a hole drilled thru the middle & an 'assist' hook attached thru the hole, with a squid jig over the hook.

post-2231-044950500 1348134391_thumb.png

They are very popular in NZ with snapper & they get the odd kingie too, I believe.

Any tips on using them would be appreciated

cheers

Roberta

Hi guys

I have some inchiku/slow jigs that I will be taking to NZ with me but haven't trialled them yet ....... has anyone had success with them on snapper or kings yet?

THe are a bit like a slug/metal that has been coloured, with a hole drilled thru the middle & an 'assist' hook attached thru the hole, with a squid jig over the hook.

post-2231-044950500 1348134391_thumb.png

They are very popular in NZ with snapper & they get the odd kingie too, I believe.

Any tips on using them would be appreciated

cheers

Roberta

I have used them over the last 3 years in Sydney and Narooma and have had great success with them. I target snapper and have caught reds in numbers to six kgs. I use 20lb braid with a 20lb fluro carbon leader about 2 long. Light tip rod is important - I use the Raider rods - shimano by I Miller. Soft tip allows these lures to work better. Work them slowly - really slow and do not strike - allow the fish to engulf it the assist hooks will find the mark. Just work 20 metres off bottom and then drop down again. Quite often they will get belted on the way down. We would use the 90 gram jigs in water depth 40 - 75 metres. If the current is on we slow down with the use of a large sea anchor. We have caught all species on them including kings, all reef species, big squid, flathead and even a thresher shark.

If you look at youtube and use the word engetsu their is some good tips and footage.

Many thanks for that, Piratin - I've been eyeing off the youtube vids! Very exciting to watch! I have a couple of Raider Rods & am taking a 2-5kg one with me, also an overhead with 30lb & a stronger jigging rod with a shimano baitrunner on it with 30lb. One rig will be lighter, with about 14lb braid as well. My jigs range from 20gm to 100gm.

I had only just read about 'not striking' today! So your info has confirmed that! thumbup.gif I've heard that they often get belted on the drop.

Do you ever control the drop to slow it down, or allow the jig to wiggle all the way down ...... or just use lighter ones that go down slower?

I have a drogue that I will use on the yak to slow the drift down - so, with it being a new technique to me, it will be very interesting to see how I go!!biggrin2.gif Fingers crossed, I get some hits! yahoo.gif

What is the lightest jig you have used, in the shallowest water & caught? I've got some lucanos type jigs as well.

I will check out the engetsu vids as well

Thanks again, Piratin

cheers

Roberta

Hi

I have actually only had success on getting hits on the drop at their natural speed. I have tried slowing the decent and stop starting it but have had no success.

The engetsu which is used is made by Shimano Japan - shimano Australia do not import them here. Can see them on web site. They make these in 30grams and up so you can use them in shallow water. They are like squid with a tail on them - work great for all size reds and kings love em.

The other we use is the shimano bottom ship. Once again made in Japan and not stocked in Australia. However Shimano NZ importing them and they are having great success with them. Any tackle store in NZ will confirm this.

Good luck in your trip. Unfortunately off Sydney the water is cold and green and the reds have not turned up in numbers yet this season.