Rod Suggestions

cheekiifisher

So it has come to the stage where I am going to upgrade my rod and reel. I do alot of soft plastic fishing and I have my eye on the Shimano Stradic C14 4000 Reel.

I was thinking of getting the Shimano t-curve revolution but someone told me it maybe a little to heavy for the type of fishing I do. I want a good quality light rod which is no more then $250.

Does anyone have any good suggestions???

Edited by cheekiifisher

By the sounds of it, your looking for a light combo for flicking lures at Bream, flatties etc... The Stradic Ci4 is a great reel but i would be looking at the 2500 size rather than the 4000. 4000 is more suitable to jewfish, rat kings and snapper. Rod wise, the jewell range should suit you. You can get them for $100 online but in most tackle stores they're about $140. The Pflueger Trion is a similar price and also a decent rod. For $250, have a look at the lighter models of the T-Curve. Top rods and perfect for SP fishing. I would recommend a 3-6kg rod as its a perfect balance between finesse bream fishing and flicking bigger plastics for flatties. 2-4kg will be okay, especially if your mainly after bream.

Have a look around and see what you like.

Cheers, Tom

By the sounds of it, your looking for a light combo for flicking lures at Bream, flatties etc... The Stradic Ci4 is a great reel but i would be looking at the 2500 size rather than the 4000. 4000 is more suitable to jewfish, rat kings and snapper. Rod wise, the jewell range should suit you. You can get them for $100 online but in most tackle stores they're about $140. The Pflueger Trion is a similar price and also a decent rod. For $250, have a look at the lighter models of the T-Curve. Top rods and perfect for SP fishing. I would recommend a 3-6kg rod as its a perfect balance between finesse bream fishing and flicking bigger plastics for flatties. 2-4kg will be okay, especially if your mainly after bream.

Have a look around and see what you like.

Cheers, Tom

Thanks Tom, I will definately have a look at thoses rods you have suggested. I was going to go the 2500 in the reel but when doing a little bit of bait fishing or chasing some bigger fish I wanted to have a reel i could just swap between rods.

I appreciate your suggestions :)

Thanks Tom, I will definately have a look at thoses rods you have suggested. I was going to go the 2500 in the reel but when doing a little bit of bait fishing or chasing some bigger fish I wanted to have a reel i could just swap between rods.

I have landed rat kings to 67cm so it can handle some of the bigger fish for sure. Big fish on light gear is where angling the fish really comes about. Go the 4000 if you want but it will be more suitable for bait and flicking for jews etc... The 4000 is just too heavy to fish for bream and the average flathead on. Sorry about ranting but i made this mistake a while ago and ended up selling it... Maybe talk to your local tackle store for some advice.

Tom

You could always buy a 2500 stradic ci4 and im pretty sure you can buy a 3000 spool which fits on it. If not you could just buy a 2500 stradic which like mack said can handle some big fish and just buy a spare spool and fill it up with line that you will generally use for bait fishing.

If I were you I would either pay the little extra and grab the 2500 sustain otherwise save a bit by grabbing the 2500 stradic

The only the the ci4 are good for are that little lighter and eye candY the actual drag is a lot worst then a regular stradic especially the new ones and they cop a lot more wear and tear

As for rod if your going a bit cheaper 2-4 kg trion or t curve

If you can send a bit more go the gloomis or nitro. Ask around you might beable to grab a bargain when grabbing the pair together with line

Edited by A.dawg

Have a look at some of the daiwa rods too. They have some really nice rods in the price range of $150 to $200. I have the Tierra which cost me $160 I think (which they don't make anymore unfortunately) and it is an awesome rod.

I have a 2500 size reel (but it is a Daiwa) and their spool is much larger than the 2500 for Shimano, that said the 4000 in shimano will get a bit clumsy if you are tossing lighter lures so a 3000 would be ideal, if not stick to the 2500.

You will be surprised at the versatility of the light spin outfits. I have 2500 Sol on a 4-8lb stick loaded with 10lb braid and i use it for the following:

- spinning with metals for salmon

- using plastics for rat kings

- spinning and livebaiting for dolphin fish (biggest is a 125cm fish caught on this rod)

- flicking for squid

- bottom bashing for flatties and the like in up to 65m of water

- float baiting for bream etc

In my opinion, if you want a rod for bigger fish then I would get a seperate outfit as a 4000 is not going to give you much advantage over a 2500 when it comes to stopping big kings etc at the expense of your comfort and cast distance you will loose every other day you are fishing for other species.

Edited by fishmaniac

Have a look at lox rods going to get one next pay the one i want only ways 75g also got a ci4 and its been hamered and still going just no good for ultra light lines drags a bit on the heavy side

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Mac Attack is on the money

if i was to buy a SP outfit tomorrow it would be a 2500 stradic or Abu Soron SX, on a jewell

The jewells are great rods for the price

4000 size reels are getting a bit chunky for finesse SP fishing - The 2,500 will do everything you need, and could handle the odd king if the right line is on it

If you get 2 spools, spool one for flattys and breams, and the other with heavier line in case jews, kings, or big flattys roam about

You will have more fun on a smaller reel

Its when u get spooled, thats when you go back and grab the 4000 - but not before :)

Wow thanks guys you definitely have given me alot to think about! I am going next Sunday to get this! Got to love birthday's I will let you know what I end up with! I think I will defiantly stik with they 2500 Stradic after all you advise!

Still stuck on the rod alot to think about? So many options...

The 2500 stradic is a good reel no problem handling jewfish on it

Have a look at the shimano lure project vibe rod it is a great allrounder I love using mine

But my advice would be to go to a tackleshop grab a 2500 stradic and try it on all the rods mentioned and see which feels the most comfortable to you and that will be the one to get

• 2 weeks later...

Having spent heaps of cash on all sorts of gear and every thing in between, then reverting back to Alvey, but that's besides the point...

If you respect your gear ie hose it down after every use and never high tip and be cautious when transporting between your home and fishing, meaning not smacking it around the place, your gear will serve you well weather it be a starlo stix, a raider or a T-curve.

Fishingphase

for the 2500 size reel with 8lb braid youl need a rod that runs 2-4kilo line or 4-8pound line, i use a daiwa advantage 4-8lb rod which were great value but no longer available i dont think.

if you can push the budget just that bit further you go into the next level, for $330 retail you could get one of these http://www.innovatorrods.com/nitro-distancespin.html

to make it a bit easier on you i think they have insurance on the rods for breakage too.

good to see your loving the lure fishing, its addictive huh.

I think this is the only thing in my life I have spent so much time on... Lol... It is so hard to take in all you comments and make the right decision lol.

I am very OCD with my fishing gear and everyone around me is like why it's just fishing. But when you love something you want everything to be in good nick and ready to go at anytime of day.

I think I will definitely look into the t-curve. Although it was mentioned that these rods are a little heavy? Ahhh decisions... Wish I owned all ensembles would make this a lot less harder to make a decision....

Soft plastic fishing is fun! Rarely do bait anymore.. Although going to try live bait fishing this year for the first time... Not with the new rod ensemble though.. Guess I will posture pictures Sunday when I have it in my hot little hand... Eeeekkkkk excited!

Edited by cheekiifisher

Mentioned already, but the Soron SX on a Jewel is a pretty hard to beat combo.

I have an SX20 on a 7'6 Jewel and it does the job very nicely for land-based HB, SP, & blade flicking.

Comes in 2 piece too.

I believe there are deals to be had on each too at the moment.