Different species of squid?

Howdoweplaythis

Question

8 answers to this question

Gould's squid, Nototodarus gouldi.

often thought to be Loligo plei, but these are not found commonly in Australian waters.

Here we also get southern calamari Sepioteuthis australis. Easily tell if your squid is calamari by looking to see if the wings extend down the entire mantle, rather than just the top.

Up north I'm sure aussies could get into northern calamari or tiger squid, Sepioteuthis lessoniana.

I'm pretty 99% sure our arrow squids arn't Gould squid. Gould squid are much bigger and yes they are nicknamed arrow squid but their flaps are much more sharper and they are much fatter like our green eyes than our arrows.

There are 2 species of squid mainly caught in our waters one are green eye calamari and the other is the one you have caught which is what we know them by as arrow squid. Really confusing

I've tried researching the actual name or scientific name for the arrow squid but nothing has come up.

I'm pretty 99% sure our arrow squids arn't Gould squid. Gould squid are much bigger and yes they are nicknamed arrow squid but their flaps are much more sharper and they are much fatter like our green eyes than our arrows.

There are 2 species of squid mainly caught in our waters one are green eye calamari and the other is the one you have caught which is what we know them by as arrow squid. Really confusing

I've tried researching the actual name or scientific name for the arrow squid but nothing has come up.

It's a Gould's squid, and I just gave scientific names of all possible species.

Nah, A Dawg is on the money again. Our two common species are the Loligo squid (Loligo formosa/Loligo chinensis commonly called arrow, mitre or hawksbury squid) and the Southern Calamari. As mentioned above they are best told apart by the fact the Calamari's fins run the full length of the mantle and they grow much larger. Here are a few links to read up.

Southern Calamari

Arrow/Loligo

Goulds

It is confusing as Goulds are also refereed to as arrow squid. I've caught them down in tassie a few times and they are larger/heavier boddied than our arrows (average size in the above link is 700g as opposed to 100g for the loligo)and the skin is really really difficult to peel off, they are also much more red in color. I believe they do get Goulds off shore in NSW but its not commonly caught by anglers.

Rich

Edited by Mr Squidy