P.E 3 / 47lb.... enough?

hey lads,

Im stuck at this position where i have 2 line options for my 6500 saltiga. Would you use 80lb 300mtrs or 47lb 600 mtrs. Im aiming for marlin or the odd tuna that comes by our waters.

I was hoping to use P.e 4 but the shop was out of stock so p.e3 was the only thing available!

Ur thoughts please?

LH

Are you planning on going head to head with big kings? If so then go the 80lb option. I have a 6500 Catalina with 80lb braid and landed a 70kg black with not a worry (regarding line capacity). You would also knock over most average sized tuna with this outfit. If you hooked a big tuna or big blue marlin, I think you would be in trouble with either option!

Edited by fishmaniac

fishmaniac, I have a 4500 that i normally battle kings with and havent yet be troubled by one big enough even when in NZ. So probably jus using the 6500 for capacity for those big runs im dreaming of.

What type of drag pressure roughly were you using for the black?

fishmaniac, I have a 4500 that i normally battle kings with and havent yet be troubled by one big enough even when in NZ. So probably jus using the 6500 for capacity for those big runs im dreaming of.

What type of drag pressure roughly were you using for the black?

I fought the black with somehwere in the order of 8-10kg of drag. No where near what the line was capable of taking, but given the only thing I was worried about was tossing a hook, I didn't bother putting any more pressure on.

I also have a saltist overhead which I have about 600yds of 50lb on. I have caught yellowfin up to 35kg on this reel and the most line I had out was about 200m. On those fish I had about 6kg of drag. When I caught a striped marlin around 100kg on this outfit I would have been spooled had I fished from a stationary boat but obviously gave chase. I ran about 5kg for most of that fight but then upped it to around 8-10kg after a couple of hours to get things over and done with a bit quicker (I had started out taking it easy as I only had 80lb leader).

Both line classes should do the job. The other thing to consider is the rod you are using (i.e. stiff/soft enough for the line you are using).

Edited by fishmaniac

I picked up a Fin Nor 8500 at a sale & spooled it with 80lb berkley whiplash it holds exactly 600 mtrs its awsome stuff super strong !! Used it on tuna sharks havent had a marlin on it yet but i am confident it will handle it no worries. Its very thin bit pricey but you wont be dissapointed.

fishmaniac, thanks for your input mate, really apperciated it! :thumbup: I have pretty much the same reels as you and its good to know that you have done what i want to do in the future. :biggrin2:

I have a nice jig rod that is very bendy but i dont think it will have enough black bone for a marlin. My other rod is a nitro widow maker, tank of a rod which isnt so bendy and probably not that suitable for pe 3 line but probably can pull a rhino out of the water if id use decent line :thumbup: