Fishing with soft plastics

Stellar fish

G'day all,

I was wondering if there was anyone willing to lend me a hand with my lure fishing. I am restricted to landbased and have been trying my luck with plastics and vibes for a few months now, mainly in middle harbour and the parramatta river regularly for zero success other than a few bitten tails. Really keen to pop my cherry on lures haha. I am based in the hills area and am willing to travel. Please pm me if you are interested.

Cheers, Antonio.

G'day all,

I was wondering if there was anyone willing to lend me a hand with my lure fishing. I am restricted to landbased and have been trying my luck with plastics and vibes for a few months now, mainly in middle harbour and the parramatta river regularly for zero success other than a few bitten tails. Really keen to pop my cherry on lures haha. I am based in the hills area and am willing to travel. Please pm me if you are interested.

Cheers, Antonio.

go to the entrance of Lane Cove river, under fig tree bridge. just drag your plastic along the bottom and you should get onto flattys. nothing massive but its still fun and you never know, you could get lucky.

G'day all,

Cheers, Antonio.

Hi mate, I'm also land based and some of your recent struggles are probably due to the cold/clear water the past couple of months. You should find things improving from here on but I'm happy to meet up for a fish sometime to help out (PM me). I've also struggled of late with lures so certainly can't guarantee fish, but during the warmer months, I tend to pick up a fish or two (mostly flattys) most trips.

Aidan

There are some good landbased spots to try like Hen and Chicken bay on parramatta river along the walls starting from the boatramp at the end of Burwood road all around Iron cove bay and Willoughby bay in middle harbour at the cricket fields

Fish the top half of the tides Some of the plastics I would use are 6inch gulp worms in camo cut in half rigged on 2gm squidgy jigheads or 2in gulp shrimp on 1/16th TT jigheads 80 or 100mm squidgy wrigglers on 3gm squidgy jigheads

If you want to try blades TT switchblades in golden boy or my current favorite strikepro 35mm cyber vibe in colour 1460B

The way to do it is to be mobile with your gear in a backpack and walk along casting as you go to cover area There should be flatties bream and whiting starting to come on as the weather and water gets warmer

• 4 weeks later...

Gday everyone

It's been almost a month since I started this thread but I am absolutely stoked to say I have finally found some success. Went down to tarban creek today for the run out tide after midday with the old man who was using prawns. I managed three solid flatties to 45cm. The squidgy 80mm bloodworm wriggler smothered in s factor on a 1/6oz tt jighead did the damage! My dad and his prawns on the other hand only produced an undersized bream. Was great to finally outfish him haha. Heading out again tommorow to try and repeat today's efforts.

And one thing worth noting was, all fish were caught with the braid tied directly to the jighead. When I had mono or flurocarbon leader, the fish would bite straight through it and that was even without lifting their heads out of the water. The bright yellow braid certainly did not spook them today.

Hey Antonio,

Congrats on the recent success.

I was actually under the bridge in that area yesterday and ended up with 3 medium size flatties.

All caught on a blade.

Im thinking of heading down there again some time this week in the afternoon.

PM me if you want to meet up

Cheers, Dom

Well done on finding some nice fish on the plastics.

The blades are great but a lot of the places in H/C & I/C bays that are

l/based have a few rocks in close.

Better of with the wrigglers in those ares unless you have deep pockets!

Cheers,

Grant.

• 1 month later...

I've been trying to get into plastics but I have absolutely no luck with them. There is mention of techniques... is it safe to assume the cast and wait approach I use with bait isn't what you are supposed to do?

I've been trying to get into plastics but I have absolutely no luck with them. There is mention of techniques... is it safe to assume the cast and wait approach I use with bait isn't what you are supposed to do?

Hi rag - check out the Articles up top of the forum as well for some info

You simply must try this and your girlfriend will love you as you don't have that ugly experience with the smelly bait :thumbup:

Hi rag - check out the Articles up top of the forum as well for some info

You simply must try this and your girlfriend will love you as you don't have that ugly experience with the smelly bait :thumbup:

:074: love it!! I had a look at the links at the top to try to get some info on the tides and moon position, but it just linked to another site. I didn't actually see the link marked 'articles', going to print some of it off and put it in my evernote to get some great reading material for the next year or so :1fishing1:

:074: love it!! I had a look at the links at the top to try to get some info on the tides and moon position, but it just linked to another site. I didn't actually see the link marked 'articles', going to print some of it off and put it in my evernote to get some great reading material for the next year or so :1fishing1:

Good idea! I love Evernote, penultimate and skitch :biggrin2:

I tried two full sessions of soft plastic fishing and came up empty, but I did get a lot of bites! Just no hooks. I'm finding it rather difficult to jig my line with the rod I'm using but I'm going to try it more because I'd rather not shell out for some more gear immediately.

I bought a little plastic thing the other day so I'm going to try that

I haven't had much luck either but I put it down to the spot or conditions. I have jigged actual prawn pieces and got strong hook ups (not on the same say I tried SPs) on the drop and also squidgie wrigglers but winds were super strong and casting distance was only about 3-5 m at most (landbased) so I think that was the reason. Either that, or the other time I tried I saw many small bream (< 10 cm) follow the lure to the shore and have a bite but because they were so small they couldn't engulf the lure (65 mm). I found a slow roll to be the most effective so far.

I reckon I just need to find some flathead to cast it to.

Edited by nbdshroom

I haven't had much luck either but I put it down to the spot or conditions. I have jigged actual prawn pieces and got strong hook ups (not on the same say I tried SPs) on the drop and also squidgie wrigglers but winds were super strong and casting distance was only about 3-5 m at most (landbased) so I think that was the reason. Either that, or the other time I tried I saw many small bream (< 10 cm) follow the lure to the shore and have a bite but because they were so small they couldn't engulf the lure (65 mm). I found a slow roll to be the most effective so far.

I reckon I just need to find some flathead to cast it to.

Yeah, wind can make things difficult. Not only do you struggle to cover nearly enough water, but if using light jigs and line the wind is often enough to muddle up your action, or at the very least make detecting bites a near impossibility.