Fishing with soft plastics

Stellar fish

I haven't had much luck either but I put it down to the spot or conditions. I have jigged actual prawn pieces and got strong hook ups (not on the same say I tried SPs) on the drop and also squidgie wrigglers but winds were super strong and casting distance was only about 3-5 m at most (landbased) so I think that was the reason. Either that, or the other time I tried I saw many small bream (< 10 cm) follow the lure to the shore and have a bite but because they were so small they couldn't engulf the lure (65 mm). I found a slow roll to be the most effective so far.

I reckon I just need to find some flathead to cast it to.

I found when i was starting out using a heavier jig head helped me get onto fish. Flatties are on the bottom so having a heavier jig head will help you stay down there. I started out using 1/4 jig heads and got heaps. Just do a slow roll dragging you lure on the bottom with a few stops in between and a couple of faster winds of your reel. You should feel the lure dragging across the bottom, when a flattie hits it, it will stop so strike. You will get snags from time to time but just persist and you will get on to em. Don't be afraid to use big plastics like Turtle back worms or 100mm Wrigglers (bloodworm or wasabi) Flatties are pigs and they will have no trouble smashing them! Good luck.

Should also mention try and cast with the wind at your back or directly into the wind as it will help stop you getting a big bow in your line. if its not possible keep your rod tip low to the water.

If I did this 90% of the time I'd be casting into trees or parking lots lol. If you're using plastics while land based fishing and the wind is against you, pack and go home if heavier jig heads aren't an option. The weather this whole month has been bad with the main culprit being the wind.

I found when i was starting out using a heavier jig head helped me get onto fish. Flatties are on the bottom so having a heavier jig head will help you stay down there. I started out using 1/4 jig heads and got heaps. Just do a slow roll dragging you lure on the bottom with a few stops in between and a couple of faster winds of your reel. You should feel the lure dragging across the bottom, when a flattie hits it, it will stop so strike. You will get snags from time to time but just persist and you will get on to em. Don't be afraid to use big plastics like Turtle back worms or 100mm Wrigglers (bloodworm or wasabi) Flatties are pigs and they will have no trouble smashing them! Good luck.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I'll try a heavier jig head next time and will also grab some bloodworm or wasabi coloured wrigglers the next time I see them. I've been using gary glitter to date.

The thing I like about flathead is they demolish anything. Bloodworm wriggler has given success for many fish. I was fishing the other day with soft plastics on a sand flat. Slow rolling the bottom, I felt some weight on the line so I go to set the hook and it felt like I was on for about 3 seconds then just really heavy weight all the way. At first I thought maybe flathead, they usually are quite lazy to the last moment. It got closer and it wasn't surfacing so I thought octopus. I got it closer and it was a heavy as all **** solid ring of metal about the size of a pie. Such a buzz kill. My heart stops for a moment whenever I feel weight hit the line.

Edited by SargeRX8