Stinger Hooks on plastics

adkel53

Despite catching a couple of impressive lizards recently. My fishing buddy and I have been losing far too many table-sized lizards for our liking. Often we get the fish close to the boat only to have them drop off, causing far too much swearing and general unhappiness. :mad3: We use mainly 1/4 and 3/8 oz jig heads with fine gauge Gamakatsu brand hooks in size 20 or 30 and a range of plastics from about 70mm (Squidgies) to 150mm (Gulp Crazylegs). This has been our standard approach for some years and we have never experienced this rate of lost fish.

After dropping 12 fish between three of us and landing only 7 this morning (a similar thing happened last outing) we are determined to rectify the situation by adding stinger hooks to our jigs. My idea is a size 2 single lure hook on a short piece of 12 or 17 lb Berkley Vanish fluorocarbon tied off from the tow point on the jighead and either left to swing free near the tail of the plastic or lightly hooked in the top just in front of the tail section (to avoid the hook fouling on the trace during the cast).

Have any Raiders had similar problems and what solutions have you tried? What do you think of my proposed solution?

I look forward to reading your ideas.

Kel

It might not be wholly to do with the jighead Kel. This time of year, depending on water temp/quality etc, they can be a little fickle when they take the lure. Your record with the flatties certainly affirms the success of your rigs in the past, and Mako2000's comment regarding bait suggests to me that it is the fish that have the 'issue'. If they are less committed to taking the lure for a period of time (for whatever reason) then stingers may/may not assist. The key is to ensure that any modification to the lure does not impact on the natural action of the lure.

Maybe try modifying how you use your lures/lure size before you dabble with stingers. Some huge flatties have fallen to tiny plastics in Winter, and 'jenno' has used sx40s on a regular basis with great success. If possible, try slowing your retrieve, imparting more 'hops' in a shorter distance (increasing the action in the strike zone for longer), and downsizing your lures again. This might increase their aggression level and encourage them to greater commitment. In a couple of weeks they'll be back to their lure-marauding selves! :biggrin2:

Keep the reports coming mate. Good luck!

Cheers

Ian

tysaju5u.jpg

Heres one i use on bigger jews its 5.5" but do use little owner bream trebles when using a jig head bigger then 1/8 because i find that they sink to fast for flatties to realy engolf them

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

• 1 month later...

Despite catching a couple of impressive lizards recently. My fishing buddy and I have been losing far too many table-sized lizards for our liking. Often we get the fish close to the boat only to have them drop off, causing far too much swearing and general unhappiness. :mad3: We use mainly 1/4 and 3/8 oz jig heads with fine gauge Gamakatsu brand hooks in size 20 or 30 and a range of plastics from about 70mm (Squidgies) to 150mm (Gulp Crazylegs). This has been our standard approach for some years and we have never experienced this rate of lost fish.

After dropping 12 fish between three of us and landing only 7 this morning (a similar thing happened last outing) we are determined to rectify the situation by adding stinger hooks to our jigs. My idea is a size 2 single lure hook on a short piece of 12 or 17 lb Berkley Vanish fluorocarbon tied off from the tow point on the jighead and either left to swing free near the tail of the plastic or lightly hooked in the top just in front of the tail section (to avoid the hook fouling on the trace during the cast).

Have any Raiders had similar problems and what solutions have you tried? What do you think of my proposed solution?

I look forward to reading your ideas.

Kel

Ive been experiencing the exact same problem for a year constantly in Botany bay. Years ago using the same techniques never had this problem.

The fish are being lightly lip hooked, and hook comes out half way to the boat. The fish that are landed are pinned mighty close to the edge of the lip, about 2 seconds from being pulled.

I dont have a solutuon, only to slow down the retreive. I dont really like stinger hooks. I think they detract from the appeal of the lure to a fish and cause lure fouling problems.